Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I don't recall the details, but I think there are new rules regarding front loading contracts. For example, I don't think a contract like Collison's is possible anymore.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I'd be interested in hearing the rules, because that is a good idea: frontload Al's or Millsap's contract and that opens up cap to re-sign Favors and Hayward and Alec and Kanter. Just restating and agreeing, in fact this is the only way I can forsee keeping either of those two without hampering the future. If the rules allow.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Sign Millsap to this contract next year.

4 yeard deal

Year 1 - 23 million dollars
    Year 2 - 11 million dollars
    Year 3 - 3 million dollars
    Year 4 - 3 million dollars.

Ok. Jk. Probably not realistic. I wish though.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Franklin, I seem to remember you having some real details on this issue.

Doesn't the new CBA mandate that annual decreases can't exceed a certain percentage of the previous year?

Yeah, I'm lazy when it comes to legal jargon... I don't want to surf through that.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOS View Post

Doesn't the new CBA mandate that annual decreases can't exceed a certain percentage of the previous year?

Yeah, I'm lazy when it comes to legal jargon... I don't want to surf through that.
    Ive heard that too. I dont like it. I think its just puts more of a hamper on team's abilities to make trades. What wrong with a team front loading a contract a lot if they have the cap space? It would make players a lot easier to trade if the majority of their contract has been paid already.

Just imagine how easy Millsap would be to trade after year 2 if he was on that contract I just made up.

I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

For own team free agents, max annual raises and decreases (in terms of cap hit) can't exceed 7.5% of the first year salary (cap hit, really...signing bonuses, and other odd payment schedules, muck this up). For other teams' free agents, this number is 4.5% (this is an oversimplification, as there are different types of free agents, but it will suffice for this conversation).

If you wanted to sign your own free agent (with Bird rights) to a 4-year contract, averaging $10mm/year (like Hack's in a previous post), the best front-loading you could do (again, in terms of cap hit) is:

Year 1: $11 267 605.64
    Year 2: $10 422 535.22
    Year 3: $9 577 464.20
    Year 4: $8 732 394.38
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by cctrackstar View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing the rules, because that is a good idea: frontload Al's or Millsap's contract and that opens up cap to re-sign Favors and Hayward and Alec and Kanter. Just restating and agreeing, in fact this is the only way I can forsee keeping either of those two without hampering the future. If the rules allow.
    This. Lets resign him for like 30 milli one year or whatever dirki and macho man Marion make. This trade will like make us tha dirki dope boys

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I don't know how the extension thing slipped my mind. Farts.

Still, could give Millsap a lot of money and... uhh... hope that he can take a hint about re-upping?
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    What if instead of extending you are just signing the guy as a FA? Can't we have a handshake deal on an Asik-type contract and then sign whenever FA opens up? This type of thing, of course, would make either player extraordinarily tradeable in the cheap years.
    "I'm a moron for thinking the Browns could even sniff 10 wins in a division where the other three teams (two of whom almost always make the playoffs) made the post-season last year. Gyp Rosetti's thee God of football knowledge." - Brown Notes

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    ^
    Nice sig. Bro.

How long do you have to keep it? I forget.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Hahahahahaha.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I'm a man of my word.
    "I'm a moron for thinking the Browns could even sniff 10 wins in a division where the other three teams (two of whom almost always make the playoffs) made the post-season last year. Gyp Rosetti's thee God of football knowledge." - Brown Notes

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Hahahahahaha.
    You're impressed with that? I was underwhelmed to say the least.

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Vouch on GVC. 7.5/4.5%.

Quote Originally Posted by NUMBERICA View Post
    I don't know how the extension thing slipped my mind. Farts.

Still, could give Millsap a lot of money and... uhh... hope that he can take a hint about re-upping?
    You mean something like giving him an ass ton of money for, say, 2 years with a backroom guarantee of stretching it out to 5 for a much lower price the next season? Didn't see anything on Coon's #58 against it but we could ask him if he's still doing the weekly live Q&A.

It's risky, but if the FO can trust Millsap then they could sweeten the hell out of it with the understanding that he plays for nothing in "The Championship Years".

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Notes View Post
    What if instead of extending you are just signing the guy as a FA? Can't we have a handshake deal on an Asik-type contract and then sign whenever FA opens up? This type of thing, of course, would make either player extraordinarily tradeable in the cheap years.
    What exactly are you asking?
    No Mediocrity

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I think there are certain things in the universe that are just givens: Casey Anthony will get off on murder, LeBron will get his rings, Dwight Howard (unfortunately) will get a ring, people will still defend Steve and Josh Powell and teams like the Warriors will be rewarded for tanking.

This all culminates in the likely scenario that, despite its insanity like the above scenarios, we will re-up Al and continue the same **** for the next three years while we poopoo the experience of our young front court.