Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1
    Super Clutch Gameface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,570
    Total Rep Points
    5559
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37

    Should marital infidelity end your career?

    Hall of Fame track coach resigns after admitting affair with athlete

    (CNN) -- Hall of Fame women's track and field coach Bev Kearney, whose story of recovery from a paralyzing auto accident inspired people around the country, has resigned due to an "intimate consensual relationship" with a University of Texas athlete in 2002, the school announced Saturday night.
    The head of the university's legal affairs department said in a written statement that Kearney was a good person who was important to the school.
    "However, she made this terrible mistake and used unacceptably poor judgment in having this relationship," Patti Ohlendorf said.
    The relationship began 10 1/2 years ago and ended "at least about eight years ago," the statement said.
    Seems like your professional life and personal life should be separate. I don't get why these people with high profile positions have to leave their profession, that they are often very very good at, because they failed in their marriage commitments. If this is how things are should they also have to resign if they get a divorce? Or if they have a kid who gets bad grades?

  2. #2
    Senior Member candrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,959
    Total Rep Points
    7604
    Rep Adjustment Power
    42
    She had sex with a student athlete. That kind of makes it a little bit more than marital infeldity - doesn't it?

  3. #3
    Super Clutch Gameface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,570
    Total Rep Points
    5559
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by candrew View Post
    She had sex with a student athlete. That kind of makes it a little bit more than marital infeldity - doesn't it?
    Yes it does. But the question still stands as this is not the only time this has happened. Seeing this story made me want to ask the question.

  4. #4
    Soooo Happy!!! ONE LOVE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20,525
    Total Rep Points
    24832
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    It's with a student, that's why it's wrong. Ethically wrong. She's in a position of power and holds the trust and respect of students, but to go and do something like that is not right.

    With great power, comes great responsibility.
    2014CurrentDraftChampion

    2014AllTimeDraftRunner-Up

  5. #5
    Super Clutch Gameface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,570
    Total Rep Points
    5559
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotttnickkk View Post
    It's with a student, that's why it's wrong. Ethically wrong. She's in a position of power and holds the trust and respect of students, but to go and do something like that is not right.

    With great power, comes great responsibility.
    The coach is a female. But yeah, let's get past this particular example. What if it was a school principal who had sex with his next door neighbor and it got splashed all over the news. Call for his head?

  6.  

     

  7. #6
    Soooo Happy!!! ONE LOVE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20,525
    Total Rep Points
    24832
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    The coach is a female. But yeah, let's get past this particular example. What if it was a school principal who had sex with his next door neighbor and it got splashed all over the news. Call for his head?
    Yes, again he's in a position where he's setting examples for students. That's what teachers do. So for the principal to do that to me he is deserved to be sacked.
    2014CurrentDraftChampion

    2014AllTimeDraftRunner-Up

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tabor Heights
    Posts
    12,426
    Total Rep Points
    4891
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    The coach is a female. But yeah, let's get past this particular example. What if it was a school principal who had sex with his next door neighbor and it got splashed all over the news. Call for his head?
    No, that's ridiculous and this and the original article aren't remotely fair comparisons.

    And to answer your question, no. Unless we want a 65% unemployment rate.

  9. #8
    Super Clutch Gameface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,570
    Total Rep Points
    5559
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp Rosetti View Post
    No, that's ridiculous and this and the original article aren't remotely fair comparisons.

    And to answer your question, no. Unless we want a 65% unemployment rate.
    Well, if sex with students resulted in termination how many professors would be unemployed? But yeah, I get the difference. The original article I posted was a bad way to set up this question, obviously. Let's not get hung up on that. My bad.

  10. #9
    Soooo Happy!!! ONE LOVE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20,525
    Total Rep Points
    24832
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    A teacher having sex with a student is like a lifeguard who's scared of water.

    You're forced to fire him/her.
    2014CurrentDraftChampion

    2014AllTimeDraftRunner-Up

  11. #10
    Senior Member Julie Greengiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    745
    Total Rep Points
    816
    Rep Adjustment Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotttnickkk View Post
    A teacher having sex with a student is like a lifeguard who's scared of water.

    You're forced to fire him/her.
    Explain it to me again. In simpler terms.

  12. #11
    Super Clutch Gameface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,570
    Total Rep Points
    5559
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    I see we're not going to get past the teach doing a student thing. I'll just accept that and go with it.

    So I know we have several teachers on this site. Any of you ever cross the line?

    Anyone ever watch Election with young Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick? Good show.


  13. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tabor Heights
    Posts
    12,426
    Total Rep Points
    4891
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    I see we're not going to get past the teach doing a student thing. I'll just accept that and go with it.

    So I know we have several teachers on this site. Any of you ever cross the line?

    Anyone ever watch Election with young Reese Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick? Good show.

    Haha. No. I teach MS kids for God's sake.

    Do you really think anyone would ever admit that on here even if they did though?

    By the way, I remember saying to MsSerp a few years ago that I estimate about 500 such relationships go on in NJ. We have about 325 public high schools and I'd estimate that there's about 1.5 per high school.
    Last edited by Gyp Rosetti; 01-07-2013 at 07:03 PM.

  14. #13
    Senior Member pickledXgrandma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    the sugar hole
    Posts
    999
    Total Rep Points
    3112
    Rep Adjustment Power
    24
    I wish I was that student.

  15. #14
    Super Clutch Gameface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,570
    Total Rep Points
    5559
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp Rosetti View Post
    Haha. No. I teach MS kids for God's sake.

    Do you really think anyone would ever admit that on here even if they did though?

    By the way, I remember saying to MsSerp a few years ago that I estimate about 500 such relationships going on in NJ. We have about 325 public high schools and I'd estimate that there's about 1.5 per high school.
    No I don't figure anyone would admit it. Just thought I'd turn the tables on you SOBs.

  16. #15
    Senior Member Chad Feldheimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Valley Of The Sun
    Posts
    4,250
    Total Rep Points
    4130
    Rep Adjustment Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotttnickkk View Post
    It's with a student, that's why it's wrong. Ethically wrong. She's in a position of power and holds the trust and respect of students, but to go and do something like that is not right.

    With great power, comes great responsibility.
    Who is she? Spiderman?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •