Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40
  1. #31
    world's worst Bronco70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the backseat
    Posts
    4,431
    Total Rep Points
    10016
    Rep Adjustment Power
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    OP,

    Its student teacher inppropriate sex having is NOT infidel only you claim.
    You really should wait until later in the day, UGLI...

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,182
    Total Rep Points
    2609
    Rep Adjustment Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate505 View Post
    I'm guessing the case could be made that even a teacher who doesn't have a direct impact on the student's grade could have an indirect impact (ie the teacher could influence another teacher that's a friend to treat the student better in a class that he/she is in or would know how to use the school's channels to the student's benefit).

    On a more general note should an accountant get fired fro his job because he is cheating on his wife? I don't believe so, and I've never been a fan of the "well if he cheated on his wife, A SACRED VOW!!!, he'll cheat on ANYTHING INCLUDING YOUR TAXES!!" sort of argument. It almost makes me wonder if the people who make that argument don't understand what a powerful attraction sex is, particularly sex with a woman that isn't the same woman you've been having sex with for the past 10 or whatever years.
    I think that the odds of the above scenario are remote--so remote that I still don't see any problem with a teacher (college level) sleeping with a student who is not his/her student.

    In any case, I 100% agree with your second paragraph, particularly the oft heard argument 'well, if he cheats as this, he can't be trusted with anything else.' People are morally complex. Someone may well cheat on his wife but abhor the idea of cheating on taxes, or always treat his customers fairly, or treat other people kindly, etc. etc.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,376
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp Rosetti View Post
    No, that's ridiculous and this and the original article aren't remotely fair comparisons..
    this. posting the story in the OP and the topic asked to discuss by OP are completely different. kinda makes it seem like OP is trying to justify it by trying to confuse/complicate/merge 2 very different issues. shame on you OP. shame on you. shame.

  4. #34
    One Love - One Heart ONE LOVE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    20,053
    Total Rep Points
    23628
    Rep Adjustment Power
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    this. posting the story in the OP and the topic asked to discuss by OP are completely different. kinda makes it seem like OP is trying to justify it by trying to confuse/complicate/merge 2 very different issues. shame on you OP. shame on you. shame.
    ...OH.. you're back from being banned?
    2014CurrentDraftChampion

    2014AllTimeDraftRunner-Up

  5. #35
    High Definition Gameface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,312
    Total Rep Points
    4459
    Rep Adjustment Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    this. posting the story in the OP and the topic asked to discuss by OP are completely different. kinda makes it seem like OP is trying to justify it by trying to confuse/complicate/merge 2 very different issues. shame on you OP. shame on you. shame.
    Does it make a difference that the relationship with the student happened 11 years ago and she's only being fired now in the midst of her negotiating for a raise?

  6.  

     

  7. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    8,886
    Total Rep Points
    8867
    Rep Adjustment Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    The coach is a female. But yeah, let's get past this particular example. What if it was a school principal who had sex with his next door neighbor and it got splashed all over the news. Call for his head?
    If the neighbor has a kid in his school, yes. Otherwise no.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  8. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    8,886
    Total Rep Points
    8867
    Rep Adjustment Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    So I know we have several teachers on this site. Any of you ever cross the line?
    For me, the line was/is graduation. I've never crossed it.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  9. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    8,886
    Total Rep Points
    8867
    Rep Adjustment Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy eat jazz View Post
    ... but if the student is not taking a class from you, and is not likely to take a class from you in the future, frankly I don't see the big deal.
    Students often think of the faculty as a close-knit group, and are often not wrong. Even if the student is not in your class, there is still a power imbalance in the relationship.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  10. #39
    High Definition Gameface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,312
    Total Rep Points
    4459
    Rep Adjustment Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    For me, the line was/is graduation. I've never crossed it.
    Cruisin' graduation parties, eh?

  11. #40
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    21,438
    Total Rep Points
    27042
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotttnickkk View Post
    ...OH.. you're back from being banned?
    I have him on ignore so he is always banned for me. Cheers!
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •