Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    What other option did we have?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    It didn't work out but was worth a gamble. Al had never played with a PG near Deron's pedigree and was an established 20/10 player, not to mention wasn't 100% recovered from that ACL injury. Remember Deron calling him up telling him he would make him an all star? It was a good calculated risk.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    The warning flags were there. He had a DUI, he put up good numbers on team that were horrible and had barely been in the playoffs. The Jazz had lost Boozer to free agency and this deal was a bit of desperation to put some butts in the seats instead of a sound basketball move.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Perhaps the mistake was not trading for Al, but could it have been managment choosing to build with Williams and deciding Boozer was going to leave.

Given the circumstances I don't believe the Jazz had much of a choice. Williams was still under contract, Boozer was a FA and the Jazz were going broke. But Sloan was very vocal about his support for Boozer and his desire to keep Boozer on the team.

I am speculating here, Deron is an abbrasive guy, maybe Milsap signed a front loaded toxic offer to get away, maybe Boozer wanted to get away too.
    X LIKE XENOPUS.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I know the reason why Millsap signed that front loaded offer was because that is the offer sheet Portland offered him a few years back, and Utah had to match it. Portland front loaded it trying to get us to overspend or lose Millsap. They did the same thing with Wes Matthews

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone Torbin View Post
    What other option did we have?
    When the Jazz decided not to give Boozer $80 million, they had a list of 8 or 10 PF prospects they were interested in. Al Jefferson was reportedly #2 on that list. I'm not sure who #1 was, but ostensibly one option would have been to offer a big long-term deal to David Lee. I actually liked the Big Al signing overall, and still do. The problem with the Jazz has mainly been backcourt play, outside shooting and the lack of other scoring options in the half court set. Al was entering his prime and was on a 3-year deal. It wasn't a bad move, imo. The Jazz saved $40 million on Boozer, moved Millsap into the starting line-up and kept a bit more flexibility. David Lee wouldn't have been able to play center next to Millsap and doesn't really defend better than Al does.

As much as people complain about Al, he still leads the team in scoring and rebounding, and the league still regards him as our "best" player.

Edit: After the DWill/Sloan fiasco, the Jazz have been holding Al as an asset while rebuilding. Al has helped Kanter develop and has helped keep the Jazz competitive.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Boozer would have stayed in Utah if the Jazz wanted him. I believe that. The guy was from Alaska and made the Olympic team in Utah. The Jazz were tired of Boozer's injuries, lack of effort and desire to "get paid regardless." Giving up Boozer wasn't a bad move at all.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    The thought was that if KK and draft picks stayed here, perhaps DWill turned into a model citizen and I can fly.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Catchall View Post
    When the Jazz decided not to give Boozer $80 million, they had a list of 8 or 10 PF prospects they were interested in. Al Jefferson was reportedly #2 on that list. I'm not sure who #1 was, but ostensibly one option would have been to offer a big long-term deal to David Lee. I actually liked the Big Al signing overall, and still do. The problem with the Jazz has mainly been backcourt play, outside shooting and the lack of other scoring options in the half court set. Al was entering his prime and was on a 3-year deal. It wasn't a bad move, imo. The Jazz saved $40 million on Boozer, moved Millsap into the starting line-up and kept a bit more flexibility. David Lee wouldn't have been able to play center next to Millsap and doesn't really defend better than Al does.

As much as people complain about Al, he still leads the team in scoring and rebounding, and the league still regards him as our "best" player.

Edit: After the DWill/Sloan fiasco, the Jazz have been holding Al as an asset while rebuilding. Al has helped Kanter develop and has helped keep the Jazz competitive.
    I think that Cyrone was asking about what the Jazz were going to do about a CENTER since that's what they were short, and what Jefferson has played almost exclusively for the last 5 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    ^^^ Hmm. Good point. The Jazz were planning to play Millsap as the starter at PF, so yes, the open spot was center or a PF/C. I don't know what else was out there in terms of sign-and-trade or free agents. Nothing comes to mind, except possibly a Chris Kamman journeyman type. I'm sure the Jazz explored Boozer trades, but never heard of anything almost happening. Maybe a guy like Gortat or Okafor was available in one way or another.