Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Level

Jefferson named among ESPN's Top 5 Overrated Rebounders

Just a snippet of Neil Paine's insider article. (That's the rule, right? Snippets of insider articles are okay, just as long as we don't post the whole thing?)

Al Jefferson, Utah Jazz
    Jefferson has long been a practitioner of the art of empty rebounding numbers. Superficially, his 9.0 rpg average and 17.2 career rebound rate (30th-best in NBA history) might tempt you into thinking he's a premier glass-cleaner, but those numbers belie the underwhelming impact he's traditionally had on his teams' rebounding performances. Last year, researcher Evan Zamir looked at how players impact their teams' rebound rates (over the previous three seasons), accounting for quality of teammates and opponents. The stats show that for all of Jefferson's individual rebounding stats, he's made his teams softer on the glass on both ends of the floor. That trend has continued in 2012-13; Jefferson still has a major difference between his rebounding rate and that of his teammates, the Jazz aren't rebounding anywhere near as well as you'd predict given their component players, and Utah rebounds much, much worse with Jefferson in the game.

Rebounding is undoubtedly a valuable skill for a player to have, but only if it improves his team's bottom line. All too often, players who put up monster individual rebounding numbers aren't actually increasing their teams' rebound rates.
    I don't know how Jefferson does it, but he just makes everything worse.

Other names mentioned in the article include Asik, Hickson, Cousins, and Howard.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...ty-numbers-nba
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1889&dateline=1332058703

Rep Level
    Ahh..... more ammo to beat up our dead horse.
    Good find.

Rep Level
    nvm

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsy View Post
    Just a snippet of Neil Paine's insider article. (That's the rule, right? Snippets of insider articles are okay, just as long as we don't post the whole thing?)

I don't know how Jefferson does it, but he just makes everything worse.

Other names mentioned in the article include Asik, Hickson, Cousins, and Howard.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story...ty-numbers-nba
    I'm starting to feel bad for this guy.

I'm also starting to feel sick at the thought he might possibly be with this team after this season.

Does anyone have a remedy for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    So I was very mad about the game, but I wasn't going to vent here, because you guys all feel the same way. However, Ty's postgame interview got my blood boiling. On why he let Trey and Gordon play while having bad games, "You gotta let them battle through it because that's what you gotta do." Really are you kidding me. You have to balls to say that when you pulled Alec after 16 minutes against LAC and Kanter got 19 minutes toinght?

Banned
    Rep Level
    Last edited by HeavenHarris; 01-09-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Rep Level
    Wow, it looks the Jazz PR department picked up on this-

SALT LAKE CITY (January 8, 2013) ESPN, the sports leader,today honored Utah Jazz forward Ricardo (Al) Jefferson by naming him to the top 5 of an elite group of rebounders. ESPN writer Neil Paine describes Jefferson as an elite glass cleaner and points out Jefferson's 17.2 career rebound rate is 30th-best in NBA history.

Now in his 9th NBA season and 3rd season with the Jazz, Jefferson (6-10, 289, Prentiss H.S., Prentiss, Miss.) has appeared in 35 games (all starts) this season and is averaging 16.7 points, 9.8 rebounds and 2.0 assists in 32.6 minutes per game. Jefferson has lead the Utah Jazz in rebounding in each of his three seasons since joining the team.
    X LIKE XENOPUS.

Rep Level
    ...like Boozer, Big Al grabs half his rebounds off missed free throws!

Banned
    Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinajazz View Post
    ...like Boozer, Big Al grabs half his rebounds off missed free throws!
    i dont think you have any stats to back this up bro. why do u choose to live this life of lies bro?

Rep Level
    black hole.. nothing new

Rep Level
    I guess Daryl Morey doesn't understand anything about numbers since he signed Asik......Besides Rebounding Rate is a crappy stat either way. The mention that someone did the math means ZERO to me unless I can actually see how the adjustment was done.

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    i dont think you have any stats to back this up bro. why do u choose to live this life of lies bro?
    Too many bros, not enough hos.
    "I'm a moron for thinking the Browns could even sniff 10 wins in a division where the other three teams (two of whom almost always make the playoffs) made the post-season last year. Gyp Rosetti's thee God of football knowledge." - Brown Notes

Rep Level
    Quote Originally Posted by mellow View Post
    Wow, it looks the Jazz PR department picked up on this-
    Wait is this for real? Haha they seriously got the exact opposite out of it? Isn't that false advertisement?

Rep Level
    Unbelievable. And how is it that someone who is rebounding so much is bad at reabounding?

Al is the primary 'rebounder' on the team when he's on the floor. It's just what he does. I think the problem is that when he is in there, the other four players on the floor stop trying to get rebounds thinking that Al will get it anyway, so boards that would have been obtainable outside of Al's range go to the other team. When Al comes out then everyone else picks up the slack and they rebound better. It's not Al's fault unless he gets upset when someone else gets a board. It's the rest of the team's fault for being lazy and not trying because Al's in there.

It's the same problem the team has on offence when Al 'the black hole' gets the ball in the post. Sure he has a history of not passing the ball, but have you looked at the rest of the team? They just stand there and wait for him to shoot, they aren't cutting, they aren't getting open, so why should he pass it to them? Al has been getting better at this, or has the team started trying to get position finally? I think there are some lazy players on this team non named Al on both offense and defense.

Rep Level
    The rationale:

Unlike baseball, a sport in which the marginal value of a given action at the individual level is essentially the same at the team level -- upgrading to a new third baseman who hits 10 more home runs than the old one, for instance, will result in 10 more home runs for the team -- adding, say, a prolific individual rebounder does not necessarily mean the team will reap big benefits on the boards.

Why is this? The main reason is that the act of rebounding involves players competing not just with opponents but also with members of their own teams. There are only so many boards to go around on a team, and often seemingly productive rebounders rack up gaudy totals in part by "stealing" boards from teammates, rather than adding extra rebounds to their teams' bottom lines.
    He then goes on with stats that show that elite rebounders do not increase the rebounding percentage for their teams, they just take rebounds from teamates seems to be the point. Thus it seems like not such a knock on BA as it is on top rebounders in general. That's what I got out of the intro. No subscrip so I did not read beyond that.

Rep Level
    Useless article. Al can rebound if he wants to. He's at least a decent defensive rebounder.