Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
  1. #16
    Premium Member Jazz Punk Rocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    389
    Total Rep Points
    276
    Rep Adjustment Power
    16
    It seemed kind of underwhelming...I really had no clue what happened going into the movie, I never read too much about the whole story, but to me it felt like there was so much more to it that wasn't explained in the movie. Some of my favorite TV actors were in it though (Walts dad from Lost, Andy from Parks and Rec, Pete from The League, Coach Taylor from FNL). Overall, I thought it was a pretty good movie...much better than Argo.

  2. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tabor Heights
    Posts
    12,581
    Total Rep Points
    4891
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy eat jazz View Post
    There was a good bit in the news recently how the movie implied we got the critical intel on bin Laden via torture (so I'm told, I haven't seen it yet but plan to). Some high placed sources have said this is not true but that the critical intel was obtained through other means. As someone who is opposed to torture on both practical and moral grounds (and yes, water boarding IS torture), if this is true, I am very disappointed that Bigelow (Director) chose to depict it this way. Still, Hurt Locker was a great movie (also directed by Bigelow), so I have high hopes for this one, inaccuracies aside.
    Yes, this is what has transpired. However, I'm not so quick to point fingers at Bigelow. I don't trust our G-men as far as I can throw them and I think the far majority of us are pretty confident in saying waterboarding has taken place. The only real question then is, did it take place to obtain intel in these particular instances? I don't know the answer to that. But imo, I find the CIA's desire to deny much more transparent (deny, deny, deny, protect their reputation) than Bigelow's desire to Hollywood-ize the movie.

  3. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,376
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    bros i need some quick advice. tonight. should i see this or django.
    im thinkin django and gonna see it anyway but if this is really good i can wait for django.

  4. #19
    Senior Member Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    26,937
    Total Rep Points
    15445
    Rep Adjustment Power
    72
    The Hurt Locker was boring as ****. I'm bias though because I find most War/Military movies to be boring as ****.

  5. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,376
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    i liked hurt locker. not really a big fan of war movies but it was good imo. dramatic/suspensalicious.

  6. #21
    Senior Member kwb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,242
    Total Rep Points
    1134
    Rep Adjustment Power
    19
    If you don't want to see torture for intel, I suggest you stay away from this movie. It didn't bother me. The movie to me was more about the development of the CIA agent, "Maya." You see how she changes during the film and this actress does a great job in the film.

    I know the CIA and gov't said it didn't happen the way it was depicted but the ending was exactly how the DEVGRU member explained in, "No Easy Day." I loved that book so it was cool to see how true they stayed to what he depicted.

    The DEVGRU member said Osama never even picked up his gun and it didn't come off the wall where it was hung even though he knew they were coming for him. The SEAL's words about that to his teammate were, "This guy is a ****ing *****. He tells everyone to fight to the death and he didn't even pick up his gun."

    If you're looking for some high intensity war scenes, this isn't the movie for you. Like I said, it's all about how the main character develops throughout the film and the last scene is ****ing amazing.

  7. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    I liked it, but I didnt love it. It kind of drug on for me, almost 3 hours long. I kept hearing how intense the last 40 minutes were but I thought it was pretty anti climactic. It may be true to what happened but maybe they should have embellished it a bit for entertainments sake.

  8. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,384
    Total Rep Points
    4279
    Rep Adjustment Power
    31
    SHAKY CAM SUCKS.

    after years and millions of dollars spending to perfect a stable camera.
    retards get epileptic cameramen to shake cameras.


    booo shaky cams sucks(Public service anouncement this aint a threat to people who love shaky cam and use it)


    want proof why shaky cam sucks?
    because it has not been used in porn YET
    01-21-2013
    I, HeavenHarris, hereby pledge to my fellow JFC'rs that I will no longer give out neg-reps. All it does is cause negative things, like fights, drama, bitching, ill will, bad feelings, etc.
    Love, not hate, is the answer bros and moes.

    LOL Lol breaks his pledge 5 days later hahahaha

  9. #24
    Senior Member kwb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,242
    Total Rep Points
    1134
    Rep Adjustment Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchJazzer View Post
    SHAKY CAM SUCKS.

    after years and millions of dollars spending to perfect a stable camera.
    retards get epileptic cameramen to shake cameras.


    booo shaky cams sucks(Public service anouncement this aint a threat to people who love shaky cam and use it)


    want proof why shaky cam sucks?
    because it has not been used in porn YET
    Guess you've never watched, "POV" porn scenes huh? You live a shallow life if you haven't seen that yet. ; )

  10. #25
    Senior Member Boondocksaint27's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    All in the game, homie
    Posts
    485
    Total Rep Points
    601
    Rep Adjustment Power
    18
    I loved it. Even though everyone knew the outcome I thought the last 4o minutes or so were intense as hell. I also liked the fact that there did not appear to be the typical Hollywood agenda in the film. Highly recommend this movie.
    Erin Go Bragh

  11. #26
    Senior Member Brown Notes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,367
    Total Rep Points
    1333
    Rep Adjustment Power
    17
    If you like scathing reviews on war propaganda this one is for you.

    http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opi...126424914.html

    "The choice to film scenes about torture in an "active" Jordanian prison is quite disturbing, since Jordan has one of the most notorious prison systems in the world, in which torture, including of young pro-democracy protesters - remains rampant despite numerous pledges of reform. Jordan was also (and likely remains) a favourite location for secret renditions that also involved torture of a far more intense kind than that depicted in the film."
    "I'm a moron for thinking the Browns could even sniff 10 wins in a division where the other three teams (two of whom almost always make the playoffs) made the post-season last year. Gyp Rosetti's thee God of football knowledge." - Brown Notes

  12. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,169
    Total Rep Points
    2428
    Rep Adjustment Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by kwb View Post
    If you don't want to see torture for intel, I suggest you stay away from this movie. It didn't bother me. The movie to me was more about the development of the CIA agent, "Maya." You see how she changes during the film and this actress does a great job in the film.

    I know the CIA and gov't said it didn't happen the way it was depicted but the ending was exactly how the DEVGRU member explained in, "No Easy Day." I loved that book so it was cool to see how true they stayed to what he depicted.

    The DEVGRU member said Osama never even picked up his gun and it didn't come off the wall where it was hung even though he knew they were coming for him. The SEAL's words about that to his teammate were, "This guy is a ****ing *****. He tells everyone to fight to the death and he didn't even pick up his gun."

    If you're looking for some high intensity war scenes, this isn't the movie for you. Like I said, it's all about how the main character develops throughout the film and the last scene is ****ing amazing.
    It's not that I oppose torture in fictional movies (it is, after all, fiction), my objection is its depiction in this movie, which implies that this was how the CIA got the critical intel putting them on the trail of UBL's messenger. The scenes themselves in the movie didn't disturb me per se. I've seen a lot worse.

    The scene that I found surprising was the one where the SEAL team invaded UBL's compound. It happened at a very deliberate pace and was very controlled. Nothing like the frenetic, slam bam action we're used to seeing in other movies. I'm glad that the SEAL team was never forced to shoot the local citizens. BTW, I've worked in Pakistan just down the road from Abbotobad, although I've never been to that particular city. I doubt any of this was actually filmed in Pakistan, but it captured very well what things are like there.

    I should add that I really enjoyed the movie and strongly recommend it. Just don't go expecting an action or typical war flick. It's much more slow paced and reliant on dialogue and character development rather than action.

  13. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    204
    Total Rep Points
    173
    Rep Adjustment Power
    7
    was as excited about this as any film in the last few years but it left me a little underwhealmed. i was never bored, which is pretty rare for a film this long, but i wonder if that may have been different if not for the subject matter.

    i appreciated the subtle way it set the tone with the 9/11 audio, most of the casting and the final 1/3 was really interesting (especially the measured nature of it as jimmy points out). just went in expecting much more weighty drama centred around chastain's character, but didn't really feel much from her, or anyone, even at the end. the reviews i'd heard/read implied this was the film's strength.

    just realised bigelow directed point break. woah

  14. #29
    Senior Member Beantown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Look outside your window
    Posts
    6,942
    Total Rep Points
    6196
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhhkau View Post
    was as excited about this as any film in the last few years but it left me a little underwhealmed. i was never bored, which is pretty rare for a film this long, but i wonder if that may have been different if not for the subject matter.

    i appreciated the subtle way it set the tone with the 9/11 audio, most of the casting and the final 1/3 was really interesting (especially the measured nature of it as jimmy points out). just went in expecting much more weighty drama centred around chastain's character, but didn't really feel much from her, or anyone, even at the end. the reviews i'd heard/read implied this was the film's strength.

    just realised bigelow directed point break. woah

    I thought it was really good, almost felt like a documentary. The acting I thought was superb.


    Point Break has a special place in my heart because I believe it was the first time I saw a pair of boobies in any form.
    GVC'S thoughts on the Jazz drafting Hayward......

    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    Why not just buy a late 1st and draft Luke Babbitt? Better Body, better basketball skills, better athleticism...

  15.  

     

  16. #30
    Senior Member kwb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,242
    Total Rep Points
    1134
    Rep Adjustment Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Beantown View Post
    I thought it was really good, almost felt like a documentary. The acting I thought was superb.


    Point Break has a special place in my heart because I believe it was the first time I saw a pair of boobies in any form.
    "Utah! Get me two!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •