Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53

Thread: Kevin Durant

  1. #31
    Senior Member JJAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,055
    Total Rep Points
    2158
    Rep Adjustment Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by spycam1 View Post
    Maybe you missed the years when Durant's teams were lucky to beat the Raptors at home?

    Lebron's teams have never done as poorly as Durant's, and Durant's teams have never achieved the same level of greatness as Lebron's.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I can't think of a single "great" team he played on until he stacked the deck in Miami (last year's and perhaps this year's). These "great" teams you speak of made it to the Eastern conference finals/finals once. Oh and despite LeBron having four other Allstars on his current team (two this year; one starting), the upstart KD is leading his team to the best record in the league despite playing in a much more difficult conference. The argument of team record for a very young player on crap team is hard to quantify. That’s why LeBron left Cleveland of course. Both players have done very well in their first five seasons. Durant had a much more pathetic team when he started, so it’s more complex than having one fantastic player and crap players surrounding him.

    LeBron’s teams
    35-47
    42-40
    50-32
    50-32
    45-37

    Olympic Bronze
    Fiba world Championships Bronze Medal

    Olympic Gold
    Olympic Gold


    Durant’s teams
    20-62 (Last Place)
    23-59
    50-32
    55-27
    47-19 (Lock Out = 58-24)

    FIBA World Championships Gold Medal (9-0 @ 22; MVP)
    Olympic Gold Medal (8-0; highest points average on the team 19.5/game)
    Last edited by JJAS; 01-25-2013 at 11:51 PM.

  2. #32
    Senior Member spycam1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Drinking your milkshake!
    Posts
    12,058
    Total Rep Points
    24657
    Rep Adjustment Power
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by JJAS View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I can't think of a single "great" team he played on until he stacked the deck in Miami (last year's and perhaps this year's). These "great" teams you speak of made it to the Eastern conference finals/finals once. Oh and despite LeBron having four other Allstars on his current team (two this year; one starting), the upstart KD is leading his team to the best record in the league despite playing in a much more difficult conference. The argument of team record for a very young player on crap team is hard to quantify. Thatís why LeBron left Cleveland of course. Both players have done very well in their first five seasons. Durant had a much more pathetic team when he started, so itís more complex than having one fantastic player and crap players surrounding him.

    LeBronís teams
    35-47
    42-40
    50-32
    50-32
    45-37

    Olympic Bronze
    Fiba world Championships Bronze Medal

    Olympic Gold
    Olympic Gold


    Durantís teams
    20-62 (Last Place)
    23-59
    50-32
    55-27
    47-19 (Lock Out = 58-24)

    FIBA World Championships Gold Medal (9-0 @ 22; MVP)
    Olympic Gold Medal (8-0; highest points average on the team 19.5/game)
    When did I ever say his Cavs teams were great? They were ****, and that's exactly the point. When Lebron was surrounded with ****, he carried them to the Finals. When Durant was surrounded with ****, they looked like, well, ****. No, I don't think that would be the case now, though.

    But this is all a bit beside the point, and I think you would agree. We're comparing the Lebron of now to the Durant of now.

    Let me just say I love Durant, and think he's undoubtably the second best player alive, and will go down as one of the best ever even if he never wins a ring. But when comparing him to Lebron, he's only better at one thing: shooting (though, Lebron has actually shot over 40% from 3 the past two seasons). The main argument in favor of Durant is that he's supposedly a better closer--something that I don't necessarily agree with, but even if we want to operate under the condition that this is true, that does not mean he is the better player, because I hope most would at least agree that the difference is not night and day. If you give Durant, say, a 10/10 on the clutch scale, then I think you would at least give Lebron an 8? In my opinion, it's even closer (and am not convinced Durant actually is a better closer). For instance, I'd say Reggie Miller is slightly better than Durant in terms of clutchness, but that doesn't mean I think he's the better player; Durant is far better at most other aspects of the game. Now, Durant is obviously closer to Lebron than Miller is to Durant, but the basics behind the analogy still stand. Lebron is better at EVERYTHING other than shooting, imo, and closing games according to the Durant apologists. That does not equate to him being the better player.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by spycam1 View Post
    When did I ever say his Cavs teams were great? They were ****, and that's exactly the point. When Lebron was surrounded with ****, he carried them to the Finals. When Durant was surrounded with ****, they looked like, well, ****. No, I don't think that would be the case now, though.

    But this is all a bit beside the point, and I think you would agree. We're comparing the Lebron of now to the Durant of now.

    Let me just say I love Durant, and think he's undoubtably the second best player alive, and will go down as one of the best ever even if he never wins a ring. But when comparing him to Lebron, he's only better at one thing: shooting (though, Lebron has actually shot over 40% from 3 the past two seasons). The main argument in favor of Durant is that he's supposedly a better closer--something that I don't necessarily agree with, but even if we want to operate under the condition that this is true, that does not mean he is the better player, because I hope most would at least agree that the difference is not night and day. If you give Durant, say, a 10/10 on the clutch scale, then I think you would at least give Lebron an 8? In my opinion, it's even closer (and am not convinced Durant actually is a better closer). For instance, I'd say Reggie Miller is slightly better than Durant in terms of clutchness, but that doesn't mean I think he's the better player; Durant is far better at most other aspects of the game. Now, Durant is obviously closer to Lebron than Miller is to Durant, but the basics behind the analogy still stand. Lebron is better at EVERYTHING other than shooting, imo, and closing games according to the Durant apologists. That does not equate to him being the better player.
    I think people forget how damn good the Thunders roster is. The Cavs were ****ing awful, beyond terrible, and Lebron took them to the finals. People want to crucify him for having 1 bad series against Boston and forget all the amazing stuff he did do.

  4. #34
    Senior Member addictionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In my head, trying to get out more...
    Posts
    6,251
    Total Rep Points
    17355
    Rep Adjustment Power
    68
    What I was referring to as the better closer for Durant was not about stats, championships, NT successes or anything, it was about personality, the presence difference you feel when any of these two are in the winning attitude burst. You watched Jordan and see his team is behind by let's say 20, you just knew he was gonna say "screw this I'm not buying" and attack viciously. KD sounds more like this concept when compared to Lebron to my ears. And time and only time will show if it is true or complete BS.
    David Locke: "Because what happens in this league is, people start shooting threes and they get soft and donít want contact and then they just stay out there all the time. Youíre not going to get soft, are you?"
    Enes Kanter: "I kind of live in the paint, man. Come on. I wonít get soft. Donít worry about that."

    4.17.14


  5. #35
    Senior Member addictionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In my head, trying to get out more...
    Posts
    6,251
    Total Rep Points
    17355
    Rep Adjustment Power
    68
    And I have always hoped for Lebron to grow and evolve somehow into that kind of personality since he stepped into the league, and I thought if he achieved this, he would be the best ever, including Jordan. I still hope, but now that Durant is in it and balling like this, my perception is slided pretty much to him.
    David Locke: "Because what happens in this league is, people start shooting threes and they get soft and donít want contact and then they just stay out there all the time. Youíre not going to get soft, are you?"
    Enes Kanter: "I kind of live in the paint, man. Come on. I wonít get soft. Donít worry about that."

    4.17.14


  6. #36
    Senior Member addictionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In my head, trying to get out more...
    Posts
    6,251
    Total Rep Points
    17355
    Rep Adjustment Power
    68
    Jordan says the final word on who is his heir:

    David Locke: "Because what happens in this league is, people start shooting threes and they get soft and donít want contact and then they just stay out there all the time. Youíre not going to get soft, are you?"
    Enes Kanter: "I kind of live in the paint, man. Come on. I wonít get soft. Donít worry about that."

    4.17.14


  7. #37
    Senior Member Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    in liquid hot lava
    Posts
    10,748
    Total Rep Points
    21253
    Rep Adjustment Power
    81
    Durant is a better shooter and is more clutch. But James can D up Durant. Thats what seperates the two. James is all around better. A lot of people dont count defense as much as a factor as they should. We have seen Lebron even D up the likes of Rose. He should be winning defensive player of the year award every year. He is by far the best defender I have ever seen.

    The finals last year showed quite a bit. I love Durant too but Lebron treated him like he was little brother. I think Durant will win a championship or two though. He is that good as well. But lebron > Durant

  8.  

     

  9. #38
    Senior Member underKANTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,141
    Total Rep Points
    1098
    Rep Adjustment Power
    17
    No disrespect to guys like Kobe or Jordan.

    But look at what of kind of players they had and what Lebron had.

    Shaq in his prime, Eddie Jones, Glen Rice, Nick Van Exel, Robert Horry, Ron Harper, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman and so on.

    Who did Lebron have? No other stars! Just role players and aging guys. Sometimes, it's not fair to just look at the rings.

    Lebron would have had at least two more rings if he had half the player Kobe and Jordan used to have.

    Even if I'm not a Lebron fan, he is the best player to ever play this game. Now, he has Bosh and Wade who are what Kobe and Jordan used to have and he is getting it done. You will never ever see a player as unique as Lebron again.

    To go on, I like Lebron much more than Kobe and Jordan. Lebron is much more of a team player, imo.

  10. #39
    Senior Member addictionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In my head, trying to get out more...
    Posts
    6,251
    Total Rep Points
    17355
    Rep Adjustment Power
    68
    Durant was ice cold against the wrecked Bulls the other night, nailing only 6 of his 19 shot attempts. But he grabbed 16 rebounds and added 6 assists and 2 blocks. I really don't want to think of him as a simple but talented 7 footer spot up shooter. His runners and isolations and drive-in's are amazingly dominant. And he is trying to be mistake-free in defense. Calling him a simple scorer would be unfair of us.

    I don't believe he has reached his ceiling as a full player yet. But one thing he should probably cover as soon as possible is increasing his strength.
    David Locke: "Because what happens in this league is, people start shooting threes and they get soft and donít want contact and then they just stay out there all the time. Youíre not going to get soft, are you?"
    Enes Kanter: "I kind of live in the paint, man. Come on. I wonít get soft. Donít worry about that."

    4.17.14


  11. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by addictionary View Post
    Jordan says the final word on who is his heir:

    Jordan is a pretty good judge of talent ..... wait ..... nevermind

  12. #41
    Senior Member addictionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In my head, trying to get out more...
    Posts
    6,251
    Total Rep Points
    17355
    Rep Adjustment Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartsock View Post
    Jordan is a pretty good judge of talent ..... wait ..... nevermind
    That was a joke montage. He picked Kobe.
    David Locke: "Because what happens in this league is, people start shooting threes and they get soft and donít want contact and then they just stay out there all the time. Youíre not going to get soft, are you?"
    Enes Kanter: "I kind of live in the paint, man. Come on. I wonít get soft. Donít worry about that."

    4.17.14


  13. #42
    Senior Member addictionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In my head, trying to get out more...
    Posts
    6,251
    Total Rep Points
    17355
    Rep Adjustment Power
    68
    Another all around game by Durant in which he had a triple-double with 18 points of 5/8 shooting (2/3 threes and 6/6 FT's) 10 assists which include some amazing dimes and 11 boards in 26 minutes. Durant has some crazy passing skills and usually follows the ball coming back from the rim, I guess it's still not fair to call him only a spot up shooter.
    Last edited by addictionary; 02-28-2013 at 03:49 PM.
    David Locke: "Because what happens in this league is, people start shooting threes and they get soft and donít want contact and then they just stay out there all the time. Youíre not going to get soft, are you?"
    Enes Kanter: "I kind of live in the paint, man. Come on. I wonít get soft. Donít worry about that."

    4.17.14


  14. #43
    Senior Member addictionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In my head, trying to get out more...
    Posts
    6,251
    Total Rep Points
    17355
    Rep Adjustment Power
    68
    David Locke: "Because what happens in this league is, people start shooting threes and they get soft and donít want contact and then they just stay out there all the time. Youíre not going to get soft, are you?"
    Enes Kanter: "I kind of live in the paint, man. Come on. I wonít get soft. Donít worry about that."

    4.17.14


  15. #44
    Senior Member spycam1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Drinking your milkshake!
    Posts
    12,058
    Total Rep Points
    24657
    Rep Adjustment Power
    97
    Have people seriously still been trying to argue that Durant is better than LeBron, despite all the records he's breaking and the 16 game win streak? After the Heat completely dismantled OKC yet again?

    LeBron is going to go back-to-back years with the regular season MVP and the Finals MVP.

  16. #45
    Senior Member addictionary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In my head, trying to get out more...
    Posts
    6,251
    Total Rep Points
    17355
    Rep Adjustment Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by spycam1 View Post
    Have people seriously still been trying to argue that Durant is better than LeBron, despite all the records he's breaking and the 16 game win streak? After the Heat completely dismantled OKC yet again?

    LeBron is going to go back-to-back years with the regular season MVP and the Finals MVP.
    Easy. Take a deep breath. Now listen to me. This is not a Durant is better than Lebron thread. He just is a great baller. Let's enjoy shall we?
    David Locke: "Because what happens in this league is, people start shooting threes and they get soft and donít want contact and then they just stay out there all the time. Youíre not going to get soft, are you?"
    Enes Kanter: "I kind of live in the paint, man. Come on. I wonít get soft. Donít worry about that."

    4.17.14


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •