Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    I've spoke with a few people ( scouts) that say he's around 12-13.
    We're not picking that high so i guess we will miss out....
    2014CurrentDraftChampion

2014AllTimeDraftRunner-Up

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    I've spoke with a few people ( scouts) that say he's around 12-13.
    MCW and Smart are ahead of him, yes? I just can't see three PG's going in the lottery of this draft. Not just because they're not elite PG prospects, but because most teams already have a young PG piece, if not two.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotttnickkk View Post
    We're not picking that high so i guess we will miss out....
    Shucks. They should make it possible to trade up in the draft. Oh well.
    ___#! Rudy Fan___
    [size/HUGE] RUDY [/size]
    elect Stanley Johnson, 2015

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Well we've got two picks that are going to be 18-24. Doubt we can trade those for anything worth much. Stupid GS.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    No thanks to a short point guard who can't shoot. We already have Watson for that.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by sojodave View Post
    No thanks to a short point guard who can't shoot. We already have Watson for that.
    40 percent from 3 on the season for burke=cant shoot? Ok

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by sojodave View Post
    Check post #21 in this very thread on page 2...... 40% from 3, 50% from the field, and 80% from the line.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Other undersized PGs:

Damon Stoudamire
    Jameer Nelson
    Darren Collison
    Chris Paul

I guess it *might* work out.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    Check post #21 in this very thread on page 2...... 40% from 3, 50% from the field, and 80% from the line.
    I think that stat is misleading in that I don't think he'll get anywhere near that level in the NBA. He's just too short that he'll struggle to get his 3pt shot off on the perimeter and he's not quick or athletic enough to consistently finish off layups in the paint.

Lillard is having success right now because he has about 3-4 inches on Burke and has amazing athletic ability at the rim.

Chris Paul is also 6'0 but he's an exception because he has great dribbling skills and is lightning quick, so creating space for his shots comes almost natural to him. Can't say the same thing for Burke sadly....
    2014CurrentDraftChampion

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I think that stat is misleading in that I don't think he'll get anywhere near that level in the NBA. He's just too short that he'll struggle to get his 3pt shot off on the perimeter and he's not quick or athletic enough to consistently finish off layups in the paint.

Lillard is having success right now because he has about 3-4 inches on Burke and has amazing athletic ability at the rim.

Chris Paul is also 6'0 but he's an exception because he has great dribbling skills and is lightning quick, so creating space for his shots comes almost natural to him. Can't say the same thing for Burke sadly....
    Fair enough, but the other dude i was talking to was saying that burke cant shoot...... not that he wouldn't be able to get his shot off.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    My question is...how do you guys know he isn't quick have you watched his games, he looks pretty freakin quick to me when I watch. And you don't shoot 50% from the field without beating guys and getting to the basket.

Read what Jonathan Givony says about his quickness on draftexpress:
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Trey-Burke-36200/
    Last edited by d@!!0n0rcutt; 01-25-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by d@!!0n0rcutt View Post
    My question is...how do you guys know he isn't quick have you watched his games, he looks pretty freakin quick to me when I watch. And you don't shoot 50% from the field without beating guys and getting to the basket.

Read what Jonathan Givony says about his quickness on draftexpress:
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Trey-Burke-36200/
    Yes I have watched most of his games this year. In a fast break situation when he has time to speed up, he can get to the rim for a lay up pretty well. It's when he's dribbling in half court and trying to shake off his opponents where he doesn't seem to have that 5th gear to drive to the basket at times. Also his dribbling isn't wizardry enough to shake off his opponents neither. One of the shots he uses quite often is a step back jumper/3 pointer, which can be effective at times at the college level, but I just wonder, with longer NBA players, how he'll fare.

Go look at his final shot of the Ohio State game and you'll know what I mean. He tried to shake off his opponent, tried to drive it, couldn't, so he had to settle for the step back 3's which he just misses. Chris Paul would have either 1) Blow by defender for a lay up; 2) Blow by defender, stop on a dime and shoot a floater; 3) create space with a behind the leg dribble, and shoot a 3.
    2014CurrentDraftChampion

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Yes I have watched most of his games this year. In a fast break situation when he has time to speed up, he can get to the rim for a lay up pretty well. It's when he's dribbling in half court and trying to shake off his opponents where he doesn't seem to have that 5th gear to drive to the basket at times. Also his dribbling isn't wizardry enough to shake off his opponents neither. One of the shots he uses quite often is a step back jumper/3 pointer, which can be effective at times at the college level, but I just wonder, with longer NBA players, how he'll fare.

Go look at his final shot of the Ohio State game and you'll know what I mean. He tried to shake off his opponent, tried to drive it, couldn't, so he had to settle for the step back 3's which he just misses. Chris Paul would have either 1) Blow by defender for a lay up; 2) Blow by defender, stop on a dime and shoot a floater; 3) create space with a behind the leg dribble, and shoot a 3.
    A few things to address.

Ohio St game.... If you watch you would notice that the paint was clogged so going to the rim, ala Paul, wouldn't of happened even if Paul was there. I had no problem with the shot.

I've watched nearly every college game he has played and look at what this team needs and my feedback is:

Distributer - Check
    Ball Handler/low turnovers - Check
    Good shooter when OPEN - Check
    Can create and get to the hoop AND finish - Check
    Good defensive player - 1/2 check
    Leader - Check

With the Jazz the PG rarely will need to 'get his shot off'. A comparison I thought of is our very own Mo Williams with leadership and a better passer which I don't think is a bad thing. Where we will draft we can't expect to walk into the next Rose, Paul, or DWill. There is a reason they went top 4. At the middle of the draft the chance to draft someone who may be an Allstar level player a few years but be a leader and distribute is what we need. Go YouTube his name and even watch his highlights from his freshman year..... Now times that by 3 and that's the progress he had made in 2 year.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    The gif is a semi-fast break example, but this is what Burke/michigan does - they push the tempo. I have to say I never thought Burke had issues with getting to the basket and finishing. I've seen so many games where he crosses over his defender, drives and scores- he's always in attack mode. In fact, I would say his above average speed and handle is a strength of his that gives him opportunities to finish at the rim rather than just being a shooter/distributer from outside like a lot of pg's.

Edit: no they weren't playing the Timberwolves, it was Northwestern
    Last edited by bluenote; 01-25-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    A few things to address.

Ohio St game.... If you watch you would notice that the paint was clogged so going to the rim, ala Paul, wouldn't of happened even if Paul was there. I had no problem with the shot.

I've watched nearly every college game he has played and look at what this team needs and my feedback is:

Distributer - Check
    Ball Handler/low turnovers - Check
    Good shooter when OPEN - Check
    Can create and get to the hoop AND finish - Check
    Good defensive player - 1/2 check
    Leader - Check

With the Jazz the PG rarely will need to 'get his shot off'. A comparison I thought of is our very own Mo Williams with leadership and a better passer which I don't think is a bad thing. Where we will draft we can't expect to walk into the next Rose, Paul, or DWill. There is a reason they went top 4. At the middle of the draft the chance to draft someone who may be an Allstar level player a few years but be a leader and distribute is what we need. Go YouTube his name and even watch his highlights from his freshman year..... Now times that by 3 and that's the progress he had made in 2 year.
    If you remembered that shot, then you should also be able to remember what Burke tried to do before Beilein called the time out (which resulted in the step back 3pt shot). Burke was trying to shake off the PG with several dribble/drive but couldn't get it done, hence the time out.

Moreover, in that step back 3 pt shot, the middle was wide open, it was basically an invitation to drive down the middle for a floater or something, or draw a foul. Even the commentator was calling it a bad decision for that shot.

Anyway, I'm not saying he's slow. But he isn't lightning quick from a standing start situation. He is plenty quick in a fast break though, I did concede that in my previous post.
    2014CurrentDraftChampion