Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 51
  1. #16
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    18,762
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartsock View Post
    Both parties can eat a dick
    Agreed.

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    0
    The article refers to approval ratings of the President beng divided along party lines.
    There was no discussion of divisions between people. You could infer such divisions, but there are other explanations. I think the divisions are more products of the media manipulating perceptions of politicans, rather then actual divisions regarding opinions on policy.

  3. #18
    Senior Member Duck Rodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Provo
    Posts
    4,551
    Rep Power
    30
    I think it's a good poll in the sense that it makes it obvious why presidents have higher approval ratings than congress even though they are all bloody fools. Presidents are propped up in approval ratings by their cult of personality ways and along party lines. They are not party neutral. That's it. It's not a good job assessment poll. It's just a party line indicator of the country at whole. If we had a good thinking public, they couldn't possibly point out enough differences in the way Obama and Bush have governed to warrant a 76 point spread completely overturning from one favorable extreme to the other except for no other reason than by being wholly dependent on which idiot marches under whichever banner.

  4. #19
    world's worst Bronco70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the backseat
    Posts
    4,411
    Rep Power
    46
    I've felt, for a long time, that neither major party seems concerned about what's best for the country they're supposed to be running. As you pointed out, Stoked, it's more of an Us v. Them mentality. Media has a lot to do with it. I'm not talking about general news outlets, but rather types like Rush Limbaugh, and Glenn Beck, and Keith Olbermann, and Bill Maher who feed the fire. The "other party" is wrong, no matter what. For some reason, people let these guys do their thinking for them, in droves. We need more Jon Stewart types.

    We only progress through compromise. There is no other way.





    But I'm not holding my breath.

  5. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    0
    I would put J Stewart in the same category....
    on the other hand, I would say that it is just as much a problem , if not more, that too many journalists spend too much time just trying to air both sides, without giving sufficient consideration to what side is right.

  6. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartsock View Post
    Both parties can eat a dick
    I really just got negged for this

  7. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronco70 View Post
    We only progress through compromise. There is no other way.
    .
    That's absurd. We progress by one side successfully persuading the country to do what is best.
    Compromise sucks.

  8. #23
    Senior Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    12,212
    Rep Power
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartsock View Post
    I really just got negged for this
    By who?

  9. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    16
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the D's and R's are just two sides of the same coin. If we are in serious trouble with our national debt and everybody in DC knows it, why hasn't either party done anything to reduce it? In the last 10-20 years, both party's have had their turn to "steer the ship" and what have they done? They piss and moan about what a crappy job the other guys are doing steering and then when they get their turn to stick to the same course.

  10. #25
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    18,762
    Rep Power
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreFeasts View Post
    The article refers to approval ratings of the President beng divided along party lines.
    There was no discussion of divisions between people. You could infer such divisions, but there are other explanations. I think the divisions are more products of the media manipulating perceptions of politicans, rather then actual divisions regarding opinions on policy.
    you are getting into why they are divided and I did not . I simply used a poll that accurately shows they are.

  11. #26
    Senior Member JimLes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreFeasts View Post
    I would put J Stewart in the same category....
    See, that's ridiculous. And I mean absolutely ridiculous. Limbaugh has made countless racist, sexist, horribly hateful statements. He has put down black, women, abused prisoner in Iraq, the disabled, and who know who else I can't think of at the moment. Beck is not quite up there with Limbaugh, but has had his own share of terribly hateful comments. And somehow, Jon Stewart is in the same category? When has Jon Stewart berated an entire ethnic, cultural, or gender group?

    It's one thing to say people on both sides contribute to this, but it's quite another thing to say that it's somehow equal in magnitude. It's pretty obvious that lunatics on the right are a lot more dangerous than the ones on the left and a lot more at fault for ****ing up America. You need look no further than the difference in impact of the Occupy movement and the Tea Party.

  12. #27
    Senior Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    12,212
    Rep Power
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLes View Post
    See, that's ridiculous. And I mean absolutely ridiculous. Limbaugh has made countless racist, sexist, horribly hateful statements. He has put down black, women, abused prisoner in Iraq, the disabled, and who know who else I can't think of at the moment. Beck is not quite up there with Limbaugh, but has had his own share of terribly hateful comments. And somehow, Jon Stewart is in the same category? When has Jon Stewart berated an entire ethnic, cultural, or gender group?

    It's one thing to say people on both sides contribute to this, but it's quite another thing to say that it's somehow equal in magnitude. It's pretty obvious that lunatics on the right are a lot more dangerous than the ones on the left and a lot more at fault for ****ing up America. You need look no further than the difference in impact of the Occupy movement and the Tea Party.

    Serious question cause i know nothing of politics..... Who is the "right" and who is the "left"? And a bonus question: why are they called the right or the left?

  13. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLes View Post
    See, that's ridiculous. And I mean absolutely ridiculous. Limbaugh has made countless racist, sexist, horribly hateful statements. He has put down black, women, abused prisoner in Iraq, the disabled, and who know who else I can't think of at the moment. Beck is not quite up there with Limbaugh, but has had his own share of terribly hateful comments. And somehow, Jon Stewart is in the same category? When has Jon Stewart berated an entire ethnic, cultural, or gender group?

    It's one thing to say people on both sides contribute to this, but it's quite another thing to say that it's somehow equal in magnitude. It's pretty obvious that lunatics on the right are a lot more dangerous than the ones on the left and a lot more at fault for ****ing up America. You need look no further than the difference in impact of the Occupy movement and the Tea Party.
    I watch Stewart more often than most other things on TV, but he toes the Democratic line consistently, right or wrong. I was not saying that he is as hateful or stupid as some others, I'm just saying that he is not particularly objective. He does not include 3rd party perspectives at all in the discussion.

  14. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    0
    Right = Republican, Establishment, Conservative.
    Left = Democrat, New Ideas, (In theory)

    The stances on particular issues can change.
    For example , historically, Republicans may have supported environmental conservation, but now they are not known for that. A few decades ago, the Democrats may have been thought of as favoring reduced military spending, but in practice both parties increase spending on weapons.

  15.  

     

  16. #30
    Senior Member JimLes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreFeasts View Post
    He does not include 3rd party perspectives at all in the discussion.
    He's a Democrat supporter! What perspective should he include? It's like complaining that we don't give the Lakers enough credit around here. Of course we don't. We're Jazz Nation. The Lakers suck and should all get crabs as far as I'm concerned.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •