Page 57 of 96 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 855 of 1428
  1. #841
    First BF League CHAMP nightmare3983's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Freakin' In!
    Posts
    10,762
    Rep Power
    38
    Rep Level
    8489
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown16 View Post
    If Paul is indeed traded, he has only his uncle and other agent to blame. The Millers and KOC like to be treated with respect and they have long memories. It's likely they don't want to go through the same process with Simmons and Vartanian that they did the 1st time. And likely they might even believe Millsap has little interest in remaining with Utah, unless the Jazz were to significantly outbid other teams. Here are some quotes from the first contract negotiations with Paul and his agents, with links to the articles.

    "If Utah matches, there's nothing we can do," he added. "Paul will play hard and do what he has to do..."

    "Calls for reaction on the decision were not returned from Millsap's two representatives, DeAngelo Simmons and Ara Vartanian, who last week ripped the Jazz for their handling of the matter and suggested their client would much rather play in Portland than remain in Utah."

    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ap.html?pg=all
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ch.html?pg=all

    I don't think that would be the ONLY reason, but maybe part of it. On the other hand, Lindsey wasn't involved in the process last time, so there's that.

  2. #842
    First BF League CHAMP nightmare3983's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Freakin' In!
    Posts
    10,762
    Rep Power
    38
    Rep Level
    8489
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone Torbin View Post
    Only thing I can think of is if they actually trade Kevin Love for Dwight Howard. Then it would make a ton of sense to have Millsap.
    It really seems like the Wolves will trade Kevin Love at some point. Regardless of Love's clarifications it's pretty clear that he'll ask for a trade or walk as soon as he's able to.

  3. #843
    Senior Member GVC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Posts
    6,071
    Rep Power
    50
    Rep Level
    10134
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown16 View Post
    If Paul is indeed traded, he has only his uncle and other agent to blame. The Millers and KOC like to be treated with respect and they have long memories. It's likely they don't want to go through the same process with Simmons and Vartanian that they did the 1st time. And likely they might even believe Millsap has little interest in remaining with Utah, unless the Jazz were to significantly outbid other teams. Here are some quotes from the first contract negotiations with Paul and his agents, with links to the articles.

    "If Utah matches, there's nothing we can do," he added. "Paul will play hard and do what he has to do..."

    "Calls for reaction on the decision were not returned from Millsap's two representatives, DeAngelo Simmons and Ara Vartanian, who last week ripped the Jazz for their handling of the matter and suggested their client would much rather play in Portland than remain in Utah."

    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ap.html?pg=all
    http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ch.html?pg=all

    The second bolded section is just referring back to the first bolded section. "Ripped" and "would much rather play" are sensationalist interpretations of what Millsap's representatives actually said. We don't know what the Jazz offered Millsap before he went out and signed the Portland offer sheet, but given the response of Millsap's agents, I think it's safe to say it was far less than what he ended up getting. Keep in mind, through 3 seasons Millsap was underpaid. That the Jazz decided not to make a reasonable offer to him in free agency shows a lack of respect by the Jazz FO, not Millsap's people.
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

  4. #844
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    2,390
    Rep Power
    21
    Rep Level
    1672
    Quote Originally Posted by Avery View Post
    @Chris_Broussard

    One of the teams Utah has talked to about Paul Millsap is Minnesota. The name of the very available Derrick Williams came up.
    Why do we want Derrick Williams? He has proven he can't finish at the NBA level.
    Build a man a fire; keep him warm for a day. Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of this life.

    Repeating the same actions and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.

  5. #845
    Senior Member mellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    On my way to greater things.
    Posts
    5,657
    Rep Power
    61
    Rep Level
    13269
    Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Why do we want Derrick Williams? He has proven he can't finish at the NBA level.
    Didn't he have 24 & 12 against the Jazz last week?

    And GVC will probably Neg me for this, but I have never thought Milsap displayed an over abundance of proffesionalism or character. He has done just enough to get bye and mixed in an unhealthy dose of "I'm the starter", but I won't do media or fan engagements and don't ask me to be the leader.

    The heart and relentless persona he has on the court is terrriffic, I wish he had it off the court too--That would be a 10+ million a year player.
    X LIKE XENOPUS.

  6. #846
    Premium Member Core4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dante's inferno
    Posts
    14,262
    Rep Power
    98
    Rep Level
    24279
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    The second bolded section is just referring back to the first bolded section. "Ripped" and "would much rather play" are sensationalist interpretations of what Millsap's representatives actually said. We don't know what the Jazz offered Millsap before he went out and signed the Portland offer sheet, but given the response of Millsap's agents, I think it's safe to say it was far less than what he ended up getting. Keep in mind, through 3 seasons Millsap was underpaid. That the Jazz decided not to make a reasonable offer to him in free agency shows a lack of respect by the Jazz FO, not Millsap's people.
    No, the quotes are from the different articles. MY bad in not separating them out as I did in the other thread.
    No doubt the Jazz should have made a better offer initially (over whatever they put on the table). I don't disagree with that. But to publicly blast the Jazz and then openly say Millsap would rather play in Portland than remain in Utah shows tremendous disrespect by what are very "green" agents. It's not uncommon for FA's to shop the market. And that's the whole point of the "Restricted" part. It's part of the game. Hibbert did it this past season. Kudos to him. He got a fantastic deal. But his agent didn't rip the Pacers for making him sign the deal with Portland before they stepped forward to match. Lin did the same and NY didn't match due to the toxic clause that was inserted. Paul's agents worked with Portland to include a toxic clause, which they were almost certain would PREVENT Utah from matching the contract. They WANTED him to leave Utah. And that had to make the Millers and KOC pretty upset at the time. Maybe they've gotten past all that. Maybe all is forgiven and forgotten.

  7. #847
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    20,363
    Rep Power
    91
    Rep Level
    23229
    Quote Originally Posted by mellow View Post
    Didn't he have 24 & 12 against the Jazz last week?

    And GVC will probably Neg me for this, but I have never thought Milsap displayed an over abundance of proffesionalism or character. He has done just enough to get bye and mixed in an unhealthy dose of "I'm the starter", but I won't do media or fan engagements and don't ask me to be the leader.

    The heart and relentless persona he has on the court is terrriffic, I wish he had it off the court too--That would be a 10+ million a year player.
    For several years Millsap was the ideal guy to have on your team. He was like Carroll with more skill. That last year or so I see more pride and a more pronounced "me first" attitude. However Millsap worked hard and did anything asked of him for several years.
    #BelieveInLindsey

  8. #848
    Senior Member GVC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Posts
    6,071
    Rep Power
    50
    Rep Level
    10134
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown16 View Post
    ...openly say Millsap would rather play in Portland than remain in Utah shows tremendous disrespect by what are very "green" agents.
    Vartanian said "if we had that offer from the Jazz, it never would have come to this". In other words, Paul wanted to stay in Utah, but the Jazz, even after getting loads of surplus value from Millsap through 3 seasons, decided not to make a competitive offer for Paul. I'm not sure where anyone openly said Millsap would rather play in Portland. You're reaching (at best).

    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown16 View Post
    Paul's agents worked with Portland to include a toxic clause, which they were almost certain would PREVENT Utah from matching the contract. They WANTED him to leave Utah. And that had to make the Millers and KOC pretty upset at the time. Maybe they've gotten past all that. Maybe all is forgiven and forgotten.
    ********. Portland included that clause because they didn't want the Jazz to match. There is no evidence that Paul's people pushed for the money up front. It's far more likely that Paul's people were maximizing dollars, and the Blazers were maximizing the likelihood they ended up with Paul (who they actually wanted).
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

  9. #849
    Senior Member GVC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Posts
    6,071
    Rep Power
    50
    Rep Level
    10134
    Quote Originally Posted by mellow View Post
    I won't do media or fan engagements...I wish he had it off the court too--That would be a 10+ million a year player.
    1. Who the **** cares?

    2. Is he any less involved than anyone else on the roster right now? Hasn't he always been involved when Jazz players are out in public? Didn't he just do a big scavenger hunt via twitter (or whatever)?
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

  10. #850
    Senior Member jazzfan1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    633
    Rep Power
    16
    Rep Level
    1640
    I never listen to the words a restricted free agent has to say about not matching the contract. I always assume that there is a handshake deal that obligates them to say something like, " I don't want my old team to match."

    You can pay attention to it if you like, I tend to think it's more for show than anything.

  11. #851
    Senior Member mellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    On my way to greater things.
    Posts
    5,657
    Rep Power
    61
    Rep Level
    13269
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    1. Who the **** cares? Me, thats why I said it.
    2. Is he any less involved than anyone else on the roster right now? Hasn't he always been involved when Jazz players are out in public? Didn't he just do a big scavenger hunt via twitter (or whatever)?
    Yep, 7 years in and he has someone stage a twitter scavenger hunt for him. See, even he understands that the public stuff is worth $$$.
    X LIKE XENOPUS.

  12. #852
    Senior Member Scorpjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,387
    Rep Power
    20
    Rep Level
    1340
    GVC IS Sap's agent, now it all makes sense.

  13. #853
    Senior Member GVC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Posts
    6,071
    Rep Power
    50
    Rep Level
    10134
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpjazz View Post
    GVC IS Sap's agent, now it all makes sense.
    I just find the invented drama ridiculous.

    Millsap has averaged a little over $5mm in pay per season, has played through injuries multiple times (missing only 14 games in 7 seasons), adds something to his game every offseason, doesn't ever complain to the media, and is the Jazz's longest tenured player. Accusing him of not caring/disrespecting the fans/organization is idiotic.
    Last edited by GVC; 02-20-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

  14. #854
    Senior Member franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Posts
    12,694
    Rep Power
    114
    Rep Level
    29319
    The Nets' offer centered on forward Kris Humphries, guard MarShon Brooks and a first-round draft pick, but the Celtics want a more substantial package to consider moving Pierce, league sources said.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nb...030112108.html


    If Pierce could be had for that little then I'd pretend this squad has legitimate title hopes.
    No Mediocrity

  15.  

     

  16. #855
    Senior Member Jazz4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,177
    Rep Power
    28
    Rep Level
    3634
    I remember the Jazz failure to offer Sap a contract was a very big deal at the time. More disrespectful than Sap signing a front loaded offer sheet not perfectly in tune with the Millers' budget.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •