Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Without illegals the farmers will have to hire American pickers and pay them $35 an hour. You know what this will do to food prices? Tomatoes, for example, will go up something like $.04 cents per pound, or something like 1/35th the seasonal price fluctuation. How are Americans going to afford this in this economy? I hear a can of apple sauce might be increased by two pennies apiece. TWO PENNIES!

Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Guess you missed the part about increasing the flow of low-skilled workers...
    #BelieveInLindsey

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    If you are moving to a country that predominately speaks another language then it is on you to learn that language. Not on that society to cater to you.
    So, when the country becomes majority Hispanic, then it will be on us to learn Spanish, but not before? Seems short-sighted.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    any1 else like mexican food or is it just me bros

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    So, when the country becomes majority Hispanic, then it will be on us to learn Spanish, but not before? Seems short-sighted.
    It has nothing to do with their race or ethnic background. Talk about short sighted.

It has to do with the prevailing language in that country. If those born here and coming here all speak English then that is the prevailing language. Seems pretty logical.

OK, I am ready for your spin. 1, 2, 3...GO!
    #BelieveInLindsey

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Farming is so 18th century. What you do now is just buy a bunch of land in the boonies, threaten to grow something that big agri has control of on it, and then let the government pay you millions a year not to, so that Cargill, Nestle, Monsanto, ConAgra, Archer Daniels Midland etc. can grow it some other cheaper place in the world. Then take the millions the government pays you, buy some windmills and then throw a trailer right in the middle of the wind farm, and hire a bunch of cheap windmill maintenance worker illegals and make them subsist on dog food while you're laying on some beach somewhere. Printing money.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    If those born here and coming here all speak English then that is the prevailing language. Seems pretty logical.
    Yes, you are looking solely at what people currently speak. You completely dodged the point of how prudent it is to prepare for the day when most people will speak Spanish. As I said, short-sighted.

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Yes, you are looking solely at what people currently speak. You completely dodged the point of how prudent it is to prepare for the day when most people will speak Spanish. As I said, short-sighted.
    Then you failed to properly read my posts. I already said that the more Americans that learn other languages, including Spanish, the better off America is.

But you ignore the details that you don't agree with.
    #BelieveInLindsey

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Then you failed to properly read my posts. I already said that the more Americans that learn other languages, including Spanish, the better off America is.

But you ignore the details that you don't agree with.
    I ignored the detail regarding your decision to talk about it as an individual ideal, as opposed to a necessity for the future of governance in the USA, because I was referring to the latter, not the former.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I ignored the detail regarding your decision to talk about it as an individual ideal, as opposed to a necessity for the future of governance in the USA, because I was referring to the latter, not the former.
    Culture Warrior.
    Freckle Liiiiiip.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    lol.

Want to know the solution to illegal immigration?

Actually enforce laws against employers who hire illegally.

That's it.

Really. That's it.

Why "secure" the borders if the incentive to come persists? As repubs say, "evil people will find ways to find guns." Same principle, peeps looking for work here will find ways to sneak in. Sooooooo take away the reason for coming! Simple as that.
    Lakers Suck.

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Good points. Then review the laws on file, making corrections where needed and then enforce them.

Honest economic opportunity is a main reason for illegal immigration but it is not the only reason people cross that border.
    Not gonna happen. A million small business owners would be crushed if their illegals were booted and this is the last thing this economy needs or the gov't wants. IMO.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp Rosetti View Post
    Not gonna happen. A million small business owners would be crushed if their illegals were booted and this is the last thing this economy needs or the gov't wants. IMO.
    This.

As much as our politicians rant about immigration reform everyone and their dog knows that nothing significant will be done. Booting the illegals will not only cost a ton but also destroy our economy. We depend on slave errr cheap labor.

We always have and always will. Just ask the Africans, Chinese, and Irish.
    Lakers Suck.

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    native americans are wondering when all the crackas are leavin bros. thats real talk immigration

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/28/politi...html?hpt=po_c1

Put forward by a group or 8 Senators (4 red, 4 blue).

- Path to citizenship, includes a temp status, people will not be eligible for benefits while in the temp status

- Increased effort and focus on securing the boarder

- Penalties and laws hitting employeers hiring illegals

- Increased flow for low-skill workers and a higher focus on high skilled workers, especially those with a degree from a US college/university

It calls for several things I said would make a good compromise. Such as increasing the flow of immigrants, securing the boarder and allowing hard working people, the kind we want, to have a path to a legal status. If they fail to take advatage of that then boot them out.
    Wow.. so they currently can get benefit while on temp status? Shouldn't that alone be grounds for denying residency?
    2014CurrentDraftChampion

2014AllTimeDraftRunner-Up

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by candrew View Post
    Isn't this really all there is to it? 90% of illegals come here for economic opportunity. If we cracked down on the employers that are hiring these people to the point where it is not economically viable to do so - wouldn't the bulk of the illegal immigration problem dry up in a hurry?

BTW - we have plenty of federal laws on the books already that punish people that hire illegals - they're just rarely enforced.
    Or it wold lead to more crime? Living in America and being poor as **** is still better than living in Mexico/Central America and being poor ****.