Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezur View Post
    Did you miss the stupid fouls that Carrolle committed today?
    Refs missed a fourth right after his third too.
    No Mediocrity

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    KOC is prolly forcing him to play marvin because he is embarrased of trading for him and wants him to succeed really really bad prolly

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakers View Post
    Weezur go home, you're drunk
    I guess this post was a little too "trolly" for Franklin... I was due for some neg rep from that guy.

What I *meant* to say is that you point to a couple knickknack fouls against Carroll, I'll point to going-on months of invisibility, ineptitude and utter non-contribution from Marv and almost regular positive contribution from Carroll. This is in spite of Marv's contractually guaranteed (I can only presume) starting spot and Carroll's on and off again doghouse status. And I loved Marv at the start of the season... search my posts, its true. But he is the new Raja Bell. You cannot justify the minutes he is getting right now.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I guess this post was a little too "trolly" for Franklin... I was due for some neg rep from that guy.

What I *meant* to say is that you point to a couple knickknack fouls against Carroll, I'll point to going-on months of invisibility, ineptitude and utter non-contribution from Marv and almost regular positive contribution from Carroll. This is in spite of Marv's contractually guaranteed (I can only presume) starting spot and Carroll's on and off again doghouse status. And I loved Marv at the start of the season... search my posts, its true. But he is the new Raja Bell. You cannot justify the minutes he is getting right now.
    Carrolle's stupid fouls are the reason Marvin got 36 minutes today.
    I'm not trying to argue whether or not Marvin or Carrolle deserve to play, I'm just saying that that's why Marvin got 36 minutes.

Look, I've said what I've wanted to say about Marvin. He's not great at all, but he's much better than what we've had (CJ, Howard, Bell, etc.).
    He's a classic example of if you don't try, you don't fail. He doesn't make stupid mistake and the same time, looks like he's not contributing.

Contrast is Carrolle who tries really hard, but he also fails. He misses rotations and gambles on defense to make the hustle play. He does amazing things but equally does stupid things and this is what an energy guy does.

And those knick knack fouls are stupid, he's not supposed to be trying to steal the ball when he's defending a triple-threat. All the offensive player has to do is swing his arms and bam!, that's a 2 shot foul. Unnecessary fouling is a stupid thing to do on defense and he can't be out there using all 6 of his fouls. He's going to get the other team shooting bonus free throws all game.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezur View Post
    Carrolle's stupid fouls are the reason Marvin got 36 minutes today.
    I'm not trying to argue whether or not Marvin or Carrolle deserve to play, I'm just saying that that's why Marvin got 36 minutes.

Look, I've said what I've wanted to say about Marvin. He's not great at all, but he's much better than what we've had (CJ, Howard, Bell, etc.).
    He's a classic example of if you don't try, you don't fail. He doesn't make stupid mistake and the same time, looks like he's not contributing.

Contrast is Carrolle who tries really hard, but he also fails. He misses rotations and gambles on defense to make the hustle play. He does amazing things but equally does stupid things and this is what an energy guy does.
    And those knick knack fouls are stupid, he's not supposed to be trying to steal the ball when he's defending a triple-threat. All the offensive player has to do is swing his arms and bam!, that's a 2 shot foul.
    Fouling is a terrible thing to do on defense and he can't be out there using all 6 of his fouls. He's going to get the other team shooting bonus free throws all game.
    Well first of all this thread was created when tonight's game was in its infancy, so it wasn't directed specifically at tonight in anyway (other than the first 5 minutes).

If Marvin's contribution to the team is "not trying" then I'm sorry that is not enough. He does nothing. But at least in doing nothing he isn't doing a negative something? That just ain't gonna cut it man.

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    ^well said

I truly believe Carroll can become one of the best sixth men in the league in a few years. He has to build an arsenal from his awkward raw offensive talents but I see the pieces & base in place. There's a strong argument in place for Start Carroll.
    No Mediocrity

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Well first of all this thread was created when tonight's game was in its infancy, so it wasn't directed specifically at tonight in anyway (other than the first 5 minutes).

If Marvin's contribution to the team is "not trying" then I'm sorry that is not enough. He does nothing. But at least in doing nothing he isn't doing a negative something? That just ain't gonna cut it man.
    Bolded the important part.

My bad, I thought this was about why Marvin played 36 minutes.
    I guess I should say I mean that Marvin's contribution is not trying to do more than he's asked. Marvin does what he's asked and nothing more. That's his contribution to the team.

Which you probably don't think is enough and that's a fine argument....but I just think you need to have someone out there who does what he's supposed to do and can guard his position well. That's basically the San Antonio Spurs- Other than their Big 3 and other key players like Splitter, they basically have players who just do what they're asked to do and defend well.

I'm not justifying Marvin getting 30+ minutes in any way. I'm just saying that I don't think that giving Carrolle more of Marvin's minutes is the solution to our problems. The solution is Hayward and Favors over Foye and Jefferson and that's independent of whether or not we use Marvin or Carrolle.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Carrol gives the most consistant effort out of any wing on this team, regardless of minutes. Yes, even the youth should take notes.

My personal fav player on the Jazz squad.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Purch View Post
    Carrol gives the most consistant effort out of any wing on this team, regardless of minutes. Yes, even the youth should take notes.

My personal fav player on the Jazz squad.

I was a BIG TIME carroll hater to start the season..... now im one of his biggest fans.
    He is THE hardest worker on the entire team.... having said that, i do agree with cyrone that carroll might not be able to be as effective with big time minutes.... i think 25 minutes every game is about perfect for demarre. I love what he is doing right now on the court and even his midrange jumper has come along way.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Why does Corbin do anything he does. Or doesn't do. Be drives me crazy.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Didn't read thru the thread. I'll wait until trade day and see if the Jazz are just showcasing Al and Marv. Hopefully they are. If they don't get traded distribution of minutes must be changed. More minutes for Favors, Burks and DMC.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_hwy View Post
    One reason... Marv is a Vet.
    Pretty much. Vets get every benefit of the doubt under Ty.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    the new super hero... vet man able to dunk on occasion, hit a 3 with irregularity and play some defense when the team is already losing, just call him vet man. (alter ego is that of a mumbling head coach of a small market professional team)

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Carroll should start immediately. Our starters have been starting games slow, and lifeless lately.
    Limit Marvin to coming off the bench, and make HIM earn back his minutes.
    I think Carroll gives us a spark to the starting unit right now that Marvin just doesn't/won't give.
    Maybe a trip to the bench puts a fire under Marvin's ass. He needs it.
    "Hayward can be a #1?"......"Maybe if he goes down to Fort Wayne...DLeague" -ESPN

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    at least if carroll starts, he would bring fire and energy and might force the other guys to finally play defense. he hustles and has this winner mentality, he always plays with 110 percent when he is on the floor. the others from the starting unit don't seem to care. he would be that guy that forces other teammates to play better once he is on the floor. the starting unit lacks someone with carroll's game approach. he does the little things, gains extra possessions what others refuse to do. i am a big carroll fan.