Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33
  1. #16
    Senior Member franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Posts
    12,926
    Total Rep Points
    30338
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezur View Post
    Did you miss the stupid fouls that Carrolle committed today?
    Refs missed a fourth right after his third too.
    No Mediocrity

  2. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,376
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    KOC is prolly forcing him to play marvin because he is embarrased of trading for him and wants him to succeed really really bad prolly

  3. #18
    Senior Member Sneakers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,677
    Total Rep Points
    2688
    Rep Adjustment Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakers View Post
    Weezur go home, you're drunk
    I guess this post was a little too "trolly" for Franklin... I was due for some neg rep from that guy.

    What I *meant* to say is that you point to a couple knickknack fouls against Carroll, I'll point to going-on months of invisibility, ineptitude and utter non-contribution from Marv and almost regular positive contribution from Carroll. This is in spite of Marv's contractually guaranteed (I can only presume) starting spot and Carroll's on and off again doghouse status. And I loved Marv at the start of the season... search my posts, its true. But he is the new Raja Bell. You cannot justify the minutes he is getting right now.

  4. #19
    Senior Member Weezur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,316
    Total Rep Points
    4739
    Rep Adjustment Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakers View Post
    I guess this post was a little too "trolly" for Franklin... I was due for some neg rep from that guy.

    What I *meant* to say is that you point to a couple knickknack fouls against Carroll, I'll point to going-on months of invisibility, ineptitude and utter non-contribution from Marv and almost regular positive contribution from Carroll. This is in spite of Marv's contractually guaranteed (I can only presume) starting spot and Carroll's on and off again doghouse status. And I loved Marv at the start of the season... search my posts, its true. But he is the new Raja Bell. You cannot justify the minutes he is getting right now.
    Carrolle's stupid fouls are the reason Marvin got 36 minutes today.
    I'm not trying to argue whether or not Marvin or Carrolle deserve to play, I'm just saying that that's why Marvin got 36 minutes.


    Look, I've said what I've wanted to say about Marvin. He's not great at all, but he's much better than what we've had (CJ, Howard, Bell, etc.).
    He's a classic example of if you don't try, you don't fail. He doesn't make stupid mistake and the same time, looks like he's not contributing.

    Contrast is Carrolle who tries really hard, but he also fails. He misses rotations and gambles on defense to make the hustle play. He does amazing things but equally does stupid things and this is what an energy guy does.

    And those knick knack fouls are stupid, he's not supposed to be trying to steal the ball when he's defending a triple-threat. All the offensive player has to do is swing his arms and bam!, that's a 2 shot foul. Unnecessary fouling is a stupid thing to do on defense and he can't be out there using all 6 of his fouls. He's going to get the other team shooting bonus free throws all game.

  5. #20
    Senior Member Sneakers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,677
    Total Rep Points
    2688
    Rep Adjustment Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezur View Post
    Carrolle's stupid fouls are the reason Marvin got 36 minutes today.
    I'm not trying to argue whether or not Marvin or Carrolle deserve to play, I'm just saying that that's why Marvin got 36 minutes.


    Look, I've said what I've wanted to say about Marvin. He's not great at all, but he's much better than what we've had (CJ, Howard, Bell, etc.).
    He's a classic example of if you don't try, you don't fail. He doesn't make stupid mistake and the same time, looks like he's not contributing.

    Contrast is Carrolle who tries really hard, but he also fails. He misses rotations and gambles on defense to make the hustle play. He does amazing things but equally does stupid things and this is what an energy guy does.
    And those knick knack fouls are stupid, he's not supposed to be trying to steal the ball when he's defending a triple-threat. All the offensive player has to do is swing his arms and bam!, that's a 2 shot foul.
    Fouling is a terrible thing to do on defense and he can't be out there using all 6 of his fouls. He's going to get the other team shooting bonus free throws all game.
    Well first of all this thread was created when tonight's game was in its infancy, so it wasn't directed specifically at tonight in anyway (other than the first 5 minutes).

    If Marvin's contribution to the team is "not trying" then I'm sorry that is not enough. He does nothing. But at least in doing nothing he isn't doing a negative something? That just ain't gonna cut it man.

  6. #21
    Senior Member franklin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Posts
    12,926
    Total Rep Points
    30338
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    ^well said

    I truly believe Carroll can become one of the best sixth men in the league in a few years. He has to build an arsenal from his awkward raw offensive talents but I see the pieces & base in place. There's a strong argument in place for Start Carroll.
    No Mediocrity

  7. #22
    Senior Member Weezur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,316
    Total Rep Points
    4739
    Rep Adjustment Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Sneakers View Post
    Well first of all this thread was created when tonight's game was in its infancy, so it wasn't directed specifically at tonight in anyway (other than the first 5 minutes).

    If Marvin's contribution to the team is "not trying" then I'm sorry that is not enough. He does nothing. But at least in doing nothing he isn't doing a negative something? That just ain't gonna cut it man.
    Bolded the important part.

    My bad, I thought this was about why Marvin played 36 minutes.
    I guess I should say I mean that Marvin's contribution is not trying to do more than he's asked. Marvin does what he's asked and nothing more. That's his contribution to the team.

    Which you probably don't think is enough and that's a fine argument....but I just think you need to have someone out there who does what he's supposed to do and can guard his position well. That's basically the San Antonio Spurs- Other than their Big 3 and other key players like Splitter, they basically have players who just do what they're asked to do and defend well.

    I'm not justifying Marvin getting 30+ minutes in any way. I'm just saying that I don't think that giving Carrolle more of Marvin's minutes is the solution to our problems. The solution is Hayward and Favors over Foye and Jefferson and that's independent of whether or not we use Marvin or Carrolle.

  8. #23
    Senior Member Purch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    455
    Total Rep Points
    364
    Rep Adjustment Power
    16
    Carrol gives the most consistant effort out of any wing on this team, regardless of minutes. Yes, even the youth should take notes.

    My personal fav player on the Jazz squad.

  9. #24
    Senior Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    16,292
    Total Rep Points
    36378
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Purch View Post
    Carrol gives the most consistant effort out of any wing on this team, regardless of minutes. Yes, even the youth should take notes.

    My personal fav player on the Jazz squad.

    I was a BIG TIME carroll hater to start the season..... now im one of his biggest fans.
    He is THE hardest worker on the entire team.... having said that, i do agree with cyrone that carroll might not be able to be as effective with big time minutes.... i think 25 minutes every game is about perfect for demarre. I love what he is doing right now on the court and even his midrange jumper has come along way.

  10. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    94
    Total Rep Points
    61
    Rep Adjustment Power
    10
    Why does Corbin do anything he does. Or doesn't do. Be drives me crazy.

  11. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pearl of the Orient Seas
    Posts
    247
    Total Rep Points
    80
    Rep Adjustment Power
    16
    Didn't read thru the thread. I'll wait until trade day and see if the Jazz are just showcasing Al and Marv. Hopefully they are. If they don't get traded distribution of minutes must be changed. More minutes for Favors, Burks and DMC.

  12. #27
    Lazy Nate505's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, CO
    Posts
    5,347
    Total Rep Points
    7616
    Rep Adjustment Power
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight_hwy View Post
    One reason... Marv is a Vet.
    Pretty much. Vets get every benefit of the doubt under Ty.

  13. #28
    Senior Member Gamer13's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    running for my life
    Posts
    4,777
    Total Rep Points
    6900
    Rep Adjustment Power
    39
    the new super hero... vet man able to dunk on occasion, hit a 3 with irregularity and play some defense when the team is already losing, just call him vet man. (alter ego is that of a mumbling head coach of a small market professional team)

  14. #29
    Moderator Revolution 9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Posts
    7,903
    Total Rep Points
    11471
    Rep Adjustment Power
    55
    Carroll should start immediately. Our starters have been starting games slow, and lifeless lately.
    Limit Marvin to coming off the bench, and make HIM earn back his minutes.
    I think Carroll gives us a spark to the starting unit right now that Marvin just doesn't/won't give.
    Maybe a trip to the bench puts a fire under Marvin's ass. He needs it.
    "Hayward can be a #1?"......"Maybe if he goes down to Fort Wayne...DLeague" -ESPN

  15. #30
    Senior Member underKANTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    1,141
    Total Rep Points
    1098
    Rep Adjustment Power
    16
    at least if carroll starts, he would bring fire and energy and might force the other guys to finally play defense. he hustles and has this winner mentality, he always plays with 110 percent when he is on the floor. the others from the starting unit don't seem to care. he would be that guy that forces other teammates to play better once he is on the floor. the starting unit lacks someone with carroll's game approach. he does the little things, gains extra possessions what others refuse to do. i am a big carroll fan.

  16.  

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •