• Greatest

8 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

KOC - Great Gm or Greatest GM ever ??

I think I am starting to see the light.

Trade your top ten player for a solid bench.
    +
    When drafting 3rd overall, draft 4th big who will play less than 10 min per game
    +
    Cash in no assets
    +
    Play it safe as possible, take no risks.
    +
    Sign really old players who can't play defense, ensure they start.
    +
    Hire coach with no clue
    +
    Play over the top hardball with every GM in league inquiring about trades

=

Caculating.....
    Bee bop bee doop bop beep doop beeee bop dop bop doop boop

Championship!

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Where is the Mountains option, sir??

I vote Mountains.

-George

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    He's neither, but I would say fair-to-good.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    KOC would draft Blake Griffin in the middle rounds of an all-time fantasy draft.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOS View Post
    KOC would draft Blake Griffin in the middle rounds of an all-time fantasy draft.

Ya. Blake Griffin is terrible.

I'm so stupid for picking him.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Say NAOS,

Do you think Chris Paul will hitch is wagon this summer to Blake Griffin because CP3 is stupid or because CP3 is smart?

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    I think I am starting to see the light.

Trade your top ten player for a solid bench.
    +
    When drafting 3rd overall, draft 4th big who will play less than 10 min per game
    +
    Cash in no assets
    +
    Play it safe as possible, take no risks.
    +
    Sign really old players who can't play defense, ensure they start.
    +
    Hire coach with no clue
    +
    Play over the top hardball with every GM in league inquiring about trades

=

Caculating.....
    Bee bop bee doop bop beep doop beeee bop dop bop doop boop

Championship!
    That's it. I can't put up with your naivete any longer. I'm currently taking applications for a new apprentice genius.

No Mediocrity

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    That's it. I can't put up with your naivete any longer. I'm currently taking applications for a new apprentice genius.

The student is taking over the master.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Here's the thing--I think what you're seeing is a mix of multiple objectives going on at the same time, thereby making the team strategy a bit complex and nuanced:

1) The Jazz want to be "playoff competitive," to put a decent product on the floor, keep the Jazz winning tradition alive, and give the fans something to cheer about. Super-smart fans might advocate for a clean rebuild, but there's never a guarantee it will work, and it's a risky strategy for the casual fan that buys seats and hot dogs. If the team is good enough to be in the playoffs, it's hard for the front office to make a U-turn and not make the playoffs. Yes, the Jazz could trade Al and they probably came close to doing so. However, he's been about as effective on offense as Patrick Ewing was during the latter years of his career. It's hard to give up that bird in the hand in the middle of a successful playoff run.

2) The Jazz want to improve the team and move up to the next level. Generally getting lottery talent or top FAs (which we generally suck at) is the way to go. So as a matter of policy, the Jazz have to draft well and they have to trade well. The FAs they are able to attract are generally wayward vets who are looking to reinvent themselves or just plain stay in the league. The Jazz have to play their trade cards well and try to pick up extra high-value picks in trades.

3) In order to achieve 2) above, the Jazz have to protect the value of their existing players and "sell high" in trades. They moved Deron when his value was at its peak and when the market (i.e., Nets) was most desperate. (This was a good move....especially when you consider paying DWill $100 million is a bad move. He couldn't carry an expensive team past the 2nd round.). So in order to protect the trade value of Al, Sap, Foye, Marvin, and even Earl Watson, these guys have to play significant minutes. And as long as these guys don't suck seaweed, it's generally for the best.

4) The Jazz need to develop the young players they already have by making sure they get good minutes every reasonable opportunity. However, since Corbin is trying to win games (Objective 1), he's been giving minutes to the vets, simply because he trusts them in late-game situations more and he wants them to be in a rhythm. Burks should be getting more minutes at the expense of Marvin, Earl and Foye. Kanter should be getting more minutes at the expense of Sap and Al. Hopefully after the trade deadline this will happen.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Catchall View Post
    Here's the thing--I think what you're seeing is a mix of multiple objectives going on at the same time, thereby making the team strategy a bit complex and nuanced:

1) The Jazz want to be "playoff competitive," to put a decent product on the floor, keep the Jazz winning tradition alive, and give the fans something to cheer about. Super-smart fans might advocate for a clean rebuild, but there's never a guarantee it will work, and it's a risky strategy for the casual fan that buys seats and hot dogs. If the team is good enough to be in the playoffs, it's hard for the front office to make a U-turn and not make the playoffs. Yes, the Jazz could trade Al and they probably came close to doing so. However, he's been about as effective on offense as Patrick Ewing was during the latter years of his career. It's hard to give up that bird in the hand in the middle of a successful playoff run.

2) The Jazz want to improve the team and move up to the next level. Generally getting lottery talent or top FAs (which we generally suck at) is the way to go. So as a matter of policy, the Jazz have to draft well and they have to trade well. The FAs they are able to attract are generally wayward vets who are looking to reinvent themselves or just plain stay in the league. The Jazz have to play their trade cards well and try to pick up extra high-value picks in trades.

3) In order to achieve 2) above, the Jazz have to protect the value of their existing players and "sell high" in trades. They moved Deron when his value was at its peak and when the market (i.e., Nets) was most desperate. (This was a good move....especially when you consider paying DWill $100 million is a bad move. He couldn't carry an expensive team past the 2nd round.). So in order to protect the trade value of Al, Sap, Foye, Marvin, and even Earl Watson, these guys have to play significant minutes. And as long as these guys don't suck seaweed, it's generally for the best.

4) The Jazz need to develop the young players they already have by making sure they get good minutes every reasonable opportunity. However, since Corbin is trying to win games (Objective 1), he's been giving minutes to the vets, simply because he trusts them in late-game situations more and he wants them to be in a rhythm. Burks should be getting more minutes at the expense of Marvin, Earl and Foye. Kanter should be getting more minutes at the expense of Sap and Al. Hopefully after the trade deadline this will happen.
    If you skipped this post. Read it NOW
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I don't know. It's a long post and I'm pretty lazy.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by LunaticWolf View Post
    If you skipped this post. Read it NOW
    Get off his jock. Sell you own stuff.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Whats with you today?
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Already sold your jock to the Devil's trade. Sell your own stuff.
    No Mediocrity

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I have been very critical of our FO's failure to rebuild last year at what I considered a crucial time, but I get sick of posters who have zero understanding that Utah will NEVER be on a level playing field in regards to building a team with absolutlely no worries as to what could happen if the team scraped bottom for several years. It frustrates me that the situation is what it is, but I understand that KOC has had to take into account a lot more than just building for the future, cost be damned. As much as I have no doubt whatsoever that the future would have been much better served by rebuilding last year, KOC has been a very good GM who has had to make tough decisions with a lot more to take into consideration than just wanting a better team, like the average fan. Without a doubt. Anyone who doesn't believe so is indeed very limited in their understanding of the NBA and Utah's situation. That's my 2 cents.
    Eneshttp://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u77/gtrutzel/airgordon-1.jpgThe Menace