Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceJL View Post
    Locke's bias in favor of Favors & Gordan makes me sick. He & this board, both overrate them! Enes sucked yesterday & just like AK, I cringe when I see Burks handle the ball.
    Are you drunk again?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown16 View Post
    They change once Jefferson or Millsap are traded or if the FO decides NOT to offer either one a contract. Then Locke is told to find (or given) reasons why the changes have been made. Face it, in Utah, the media is owned by the team. Locke works for the Jazz. If he says ANYTHING critical, he'll find himself with much less access to the FO and players. It's sad, but Locke has to ensure his survival.

I wish someone would have the cajones to stand up and criticize the Jazz organization. A subpar product is being trotted out there every night and without criticism, without accountability, there's simply no impetus for change. My wish would be for the Jazz to make the playoffs, but have less than 15K seats filled. Have the fans show Miller and KOC that simply showing up isn't good enough any more.
    Are you high?

I have been critical of KOC and the FO for a few years now. Dont say nobody is. Especially when you were one of the ones who would tell me I'm stupid and wrong for saying so. Mr. Glasseater.

I'm webfamous so I count as somebody.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Are you high?

I have been critical of KOC and the FO for a few years now. Dont say nobody is. Especially when you were one of the ones who would tell me I'm stupid and wrong for saying so. Mr. Glasseater.

I'm webfamous so I count as somebody.
    I'm talking about the media, not fellow Jazzfanz'ers. The media gives the organization a free pass.
    AS for my personal opinion, I've never called anyone stupid or wrong. I may disagree with someone's opinion, but I can't recall ever resorting to attacking someone on a personal basis. And that includes neg rep. The only time I've ever given someone neg rep is after they have done the same to me.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Locke is not media, he's an employee of the Utah jazz.

Just like boler and harpring who have amped up the AJ love it appears

You know LA is up in this...Where you at?
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Harcher View Post
    Locke is not media, he's an employee of the Utah jazz.

Just like boler and harpring who have amped up the AJ love it appears
    I don't really sense any "AJ love" from Harpring or Boler though. Boler always seems to accentuate the plays when a guy blows by Al on D. "There goes ________ right past Al again...;" "another layup past Jefferson," etc. And I don't exactly hear Harpring sing Al's praises either. Yes, many media (Harpring, Boler, and Locke included) like to highlight the clutch plays by Al at the end of games, but not recognizing that is more haterish than mentioning it is blind biased love.

Go Jazz.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I understand why Bolerjack, Harpring and Locke (to some extent) are unwilling to be overly critical about the franchise. Primarily because they're employed by them - but also because of the close proximity they have with the team (coaches and players).

That said, my problem with Locke is he'll go completely out of his way to use some absurd statisics and numbers (as well as his own basketball opionion which is normally quite off) to prove that the majority of fans have no idea what they're talking about and don't understand how much better/worse a particular player is to fit his agenda/argument. The fact that he passes himself off as some sort of statistical expert is nauseating.
    "It's a loss. It's one loss on our home floor that we aren't happy with." -Ty Corbin, 12/26/12.
    "It's one loss." -Ty Corbin, 1/11/13.
    "Whether you lose by one or by 45 like we did tonight, it's one loss." -Ty Corbin, 1/28/13.
    "It's one loss." -Ty Corbin, 4/3/13.
    It's disappointing any time you don't make the playoffs." -Ty Corbin, 4/17/13.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezur View Post
    Blame Locke if you don't like his voice, stats, or the way he says 'essence' all the time.
    'Narrative' is the new 'essence'.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Locke Bias < Len Bias

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Having lived in 6 NBA cities, I would point out that Locke is easily if not more critical at times of his home team than most announcers I have listened to. The sensitivities described above about being paid by the organization and spending a lot of times around the players definitely impact what one says. However, if you think he is a homer relative to others in that role you have not been around. And I will always miss Hot Rod - he was a hall of fame announcer IMO - but I think Locke's analysis is great. Whether I agree with everything or not is not the issue but it causes me to think and often see the game differently. He is a keeper and much better than most in his role. As for the accusation that most fans don't know what is going on - amen to that.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    So I'm catching part of the game while going to dinner with the wife and I hear the following from Jazz Employee Locke.

The only reason the lineup of Burks, Carroll, Favors, and Kanter is doing so well tonight is only because of matchups. They are not that good.

I know Portland had a weak bench but at that time Batum, Lillard, and Aldridge were all on the floor.

At what point does his love for Jefferson and Millsap fade? At what point is he told his metrics and formulas don't matter and are wrong. Is he simply auditioning for the next stats guy for ESPN?

I don't get it and turned it as I decided that waiting until I got home was better than listening to him.

As the guy in Happy Gilmore would say..... jackass
    I'm not asking this to be snarky, but what is the evidence that he is biased, other than his analysis disagrees with yours? Is he citing some statistics, or is he just eyeballing it?

One reason I ask, I've been doing reading on the Wins Above Replacement (WAR) debate in baseball--pros vs. cons, traditionalists vs. sabremetricians, etc. One thing that this debate makes crystal clear (and which should be a lesson we've learned from Nate Silver during the last election) is that careful analysis of good data using sound metrics beats 'gut' and eyeball tests on consistent basis. So if anyone knows, what data is Locke using for this, and is there data that says otherwise?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    So I'm catching part of the game while going to dinner with the wife and I hear the following from Jazz Employee Locke.

The only reason the lineup of Burks, Carroll, Favors, and Kanter is doing so well tonight is only because of matchups. They are not that good.

I know Portland had a weak bench but at that time Batum, Lillard, and Aldridge were all on the floor.

At what point does his love for Jefferson and Millsap fade? At what point is he told his metrics and formulas don't matter and are wrong. Is he simply auditioning for the next stats guy for ESPN?

I don't get it and turned it as I decided that waiting until I got home was better than listening to him.

As the guy in Happy Gilmore would say..... jackass
    He stated today in tipoff that he thinks Favors could start 30 minutes and perform.

What Al bias?
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed." - Dwight D. Eisenhower