Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46
  1. #16
    His Premiumness Siro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    3,522
    Total Rep Points
    6754
    Rep Adjustment Power
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezur View Post
    I'm convinced that this is a developmental season where Burks/Favors/Kanter/Hayward all play outside their comfort zone and try to add more skill set against the bench. It's a good thing because it'll allow Favors and Kanter to be more than one-dimensional. Same with Burks though he's got it harder because he has to play a position where he isn't supposed to be on all the time and a position where he is supposed to be on all the time.
    That's why we haven't seen a lot of Kanter pick and pop, not much Favors PnR, or Burks driving in. Hayward's a couple years ahead in terms of being multi-dimensional so he can focus on just dominating the court.

    Anyways, that's just a theory. It could be that the coaching and managing of the Jazz sucks really bad and then we're all screwed and life sucks and Corbins a hack and the city will move and Windows 8 sucks.
    Typically, players use the first few seasons to hone their skills and perfect what they already know so that their advantages in college continue to be so in the NBA. Millsap was not forced to develop his jumper in his rookie or sophomore year, since that would have been an idiotic move on a cosmic scale. His PF skills needed a lot of work before any attempt to expand his game. Similarly, Favors strengths are all wasted. It's not like he has a great offensive game outside of the post. All that "playing outside of his comfort zone" will accomplish, is to add another set of poorly developed skills that are simply not helpful at this level of basketball.

    Also, I find it strange that those strategies all involve close minded systematic approach to basketball. It's not like Favors is encouraged to pass in a PnR situation, thus adding dimensionality to one of his strengths. Hell, AJ was lauded for learning to pass every now and then when he gets the ball in the post. To Corbin, not shooting the ball every single time you touch it is an achievement worth publicizing.

    Ironically, I would be more accepting of the approach if it was taken with the mentality you seem to espouse. I would not agree with it. But I would accept that my basketball knowledge pales in comparison to people who have been around the NBA for decades. But that's not it. Corbin is simply not an NBA level headcoach. He's the perfect yesman in an organization that no longer cares about high level competition, and is contented offering a passable product that brings in moderate profits with little risk.

  2. #17
    I Love Warm Hugs Core4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dante's inferno
    Posts
    14,447
    Total Rep Points
    24839
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fresh Prince View Post
    And some of it is Marvin just being human, wanting to live off his 8 million dollars he makes every year so he can tat his body up,
    Is "Fresh Prince," carolinajazz' alt account?

  3.  

     

  4. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,010
    Total Rep Points
    894
    Rep Adjustment Power
    15
    Marvin is the 5th (Or 4th with Tinsley there but he dominates the ball) option in the starting lineup. This is one of the reasons moving Hayward to the bench was beneficial for him.

    Comparing Marvin to DMC isn't fair as DMC gets his burn with Favors/Kanter/Watson/Burks/Hayward vs. Marvin with Al/Millsap/Foye (3 players who probably 'haven't checked my stats' shoot the most on our team).

    I agree, we are using him incorrectly and this article is pretty much on. Free him up with some shots and get him involved in the offense (If we have one that is) and I think he is a MUCH better player from what he has shown us.

  5. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    791
    Total Rep Points
    705
    Rep Adjustment Power
    12
    I thought when the Jazz got him he was supposed to flourish because he is a spot up shooter. Now he sucks because he can't slash and create his own shot enough?

    Just face it the guy is about the 8th - 10th best player a given team.

  6. #20
    Premium Member Vermin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Set twerking dizzy.
    Posts
    5,312
    Total Rep Points
    11644
    Rep Adjustment Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by HipHopAnonymous View Post
    I thought when the Jazz got him he was supposed to flourish because he is a spot up shooter. Now he sucks because he can't slash and create his own shot enough?

    Just face it the guy is about the 8th - 10th best player a given team.
    How dare you! Never disgrace!

  7. #21
    Senior Member CitizenofCapua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Look at my "nick".
    Posts
    1,074
    Total Rep Points
    2718
    Rep Adjustment Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Comparing Marvin to DMC isn't fair as DMC gets his burn with Favors/Kanter/Watson/Burks/Hayward vs. Marvin with Al/Millsap/Foye (3 players who probably 'haven't checked my stats' shoot the most on our team).

    I agree, we are using him incorrectly and this article is pretty much on. Free him up with some shots and get him involved in the offense (If we have one that is) and I think he is a MUCH better player from what he has shown us.
    Its not about getting touches or being 4th, 5th option. No one holding you back from doing other things or showing that you deserve more touches beside putting up some points. So comparing him with DMC makes perfect sense for me. DMC smaller and playing with better rebounders like Favors and Kanter, playing 10 minute less than Marvin but they nearly have the same rebound numbers. That was just an example but i mean no one holding you back from doing this kind of things.

    And Marvin is not showing that he deserves more touches cause he cant put it on the floor properly, cant outrun his match-up off the ball and with the ball. And maybe he would be more useful at 4 with some go to moves and stretching the floor ala Lewis used to, or Earl Clark in LA right now. Cause he is not good with the ball. I guess he used a lot at 4 in Atlanta when Horford was injured for a long period and its not a new thing for him. Maybe next year we can try him at this spot, cause even right now he is playing more like a stretch 4, but opponents 4 is still under the rim cause on the paper he is still a SF.
    http://i45.tinypic.com/23w8x2w.jpg
    MOVE! MOVE!..

  8. #22
    I Love Warm Hugs Core4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dante's inferno
    Posts
    14,447
    Total Rep Points
    24839
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by HipHopAnonymous View Post
    I thought when the Jazz got him he was supposed to flourish because he is a spot up shooter. Now he sucks because he can't slash and create his own shot enough?

    Just face it the guy is about the 8th - 10th best player a given team.
    He IS a spot-up shooter and his %'s aren't that bad. The problem is, he never gets the ball. In games where Marvin has taken 8 or more shots this season, his FG% is 46%, three points higher than his current overall percentage. Yes, players shoot better when they have a chance to get into a bit of a rhythm. And I suspect if Al weren't around clogging up the lane. Marvin (and others) may even get a chance to make some cuts to the basket - and get the ball passed to them for a few layups every now and then.

  9. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13
    Total Rep Points
    22
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    When we got Foye + Marvin, I assumed their roles would more or less be swapped than they are now. Foye would be our spot up shooter in the corner and Marvin handling the ball and creating more for himself.

  10. #24
    Senior Member CitizenofCapua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Look at my "nick".
    Posts
    1,074
    Total Rep Points
    2718
    Rep Adjustment Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by HipHopAnonymous View Post
    I thought when the Jazz got him he was supposed to flourish because he is a spot up shooter. Now he sucks because he can't slash and create his own shot enough?

    Just face it the guy is about the 8th - 10th best player a given team.
    A true SF should create his own shot or have a post up game at a reasonable level at least. If you cant do these things and still get 8 mil. per year, you are overpaid.
    http://i45.tinypic.com/23w8x2w.jpg
    MOVE! MOVE!..

  11. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    791
    Total Rep Points
    705
    Rep Adjustment Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown16 View Post
    He IS a spot-up shooter and his %'s aren't that bad. The problem is, he never gets the ball. In games where Marvin has taken 8 or more shots this season, his FG% is 46%, three points higher than his current overall percentage. Yes, players shoot better when they have a chance to get into a bit of a rhythm. And I suspect if Al weren't around clogging up the lane. Marvin (and others) may even get a chance to make some cuts to the basket - and get the ball passed to them for a few layups every now and then.
    He averages 7 shots a game. So they just need to find him one more shot (on average) per game to turn him into a decent starter?

    I'd rather give his 26 minutes a game to Carroll and Carroll's 17 minutes a game to Williams. I think you'd have a better chance for production that way.

  12. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    791
    Total Rep Points
    705
    Rep Adjustment Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by CitizenofCapua View Post
    A true SF should create his own shot or have a post up game at a reasonable level at least. If you cant do these things and still get 8 mil. per year, you are overpaid.
    Well it was a given he is overpaid when he got traded straight up for Devin freaking Harris.

  13. #27
    Senior Member carolinajazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,675
    Total Rep Points
    -541
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezur View Post
    Anyways, that's just a theory. It could be that the coaching and managing of the Jazz sucks really bad and then we're all screwed and life sucks and Corbins a hack and the city will move and Windows 8 sucks.
    .....like the "theory of evolution?" Biggest hoax ever conceived! Don't know about Windows 8.....what do you recommend if and when I must upgrade???

  14. #28
    Senior Member orangello's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Draft BPA
    Posts
    13,563
    Total Rep Points
    16098
    Rep Adjustment Power
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Weezur View Post
    I'm convinced that this is a developmental season where Burks/Favors/Kanter/Hayward all play outside their comfort zone and try to add more skill set against the bench. It's a good thing because it'll allow Favors and Kanter to be more than one-dimensional. Same with Burks though he's got it harder because he has to play a position where he isn't supposed to be on all the time and a position where he is supposed to be on all the time.
    That's why we haven't seen a lot of Kanter pick and pop, not much Favors PnR, or Burks driving in. Hayward's a couple years ahead in terms of being multi-dimensional so he can focus on just dominating the court.

    Anyways, that's just a theory. It could be that the coaching and managing of the Jazz sucks really bad and then we're all screwed and life sucks and Corbins a hack and the city will move and Windows 8 sucks.
    I would agree with this if all those players you just mentioned were already beasting it with their current skill set. If they had already proved that they have an NBA skill that is hard to stop then I can see adding other pieces just to be even more of a weapon. As it stands right now Favors has a tough time finishing consistently at the rim on the PnR. Burks hasn't had a chance since summer league to truly run a team and create when he feels like. If that was already developed then Jimmer would have been posterized more than once this last week.

    As far as Hayward and Kanter are concerned you might have a case. Due to Kanters mid range game it seems as though he is getting to the rim more without the up and underkanter. What I would really like to see out of Kanter is the ability to be backing someone down and he pulls it back for a fadaway. If he can develop that shot then look out! Hayward controlling the offense and using the drive and dish is coming along nicely. I would like to see him initial the offense more but he is doing things this year that he wasn't doing last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    So I was very mad about the game, but I wasn't going to vent here, because you guys all feel the same way. However, Ty's postgame interview got my blood boiling. On why he let Trey and Gordon play while having bad games, "You gotta let them battle through it because that's what you gotta do." Really are you kidding me. You have to balls to say that when you pulled Alec after 16 minutes against LAC and Kanter got 19 minutes toinght?

  15. #29
    Senior Member MoTappin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    516
    Total Rep Points
    399
    Rep Adjustment Power
    11
    I agree he isn't being used correctly. He seems like a good teammate & a nice guy. But if being in our "system" is detrimental then I wouldn't mind seeing him packaged in a trade. Too bad really. I like the guy but I don't think Corbin really knows what to do with him.
    You know squat. You know less than squat. You and Squat could go to the movies and Squat could wear an "I'm with Stupid" t-shirt!

  16. #30
    Senior Member midnight_hwy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    756
    Total Rep Points
    329
    Rep Adjustment Power
    15
    Count me in the minority I guess, but If I were a player, I wouldn't want nothing to do with playing with the Jazz starting unit. It's the most stale, non movement offense I've have ever seen. I've seen more ball movement at jr Jazz games.
    I'm actually surprised that anyone other than Al scores in that group.

    Just as Hayward benefited by going to the second unit, I would think Marvin would be more of a part of the offense as well in the second unit.

    Dmc really should be in the starting unit, as the things that he does, are sorely needed in the starting unit. Maybe they would play with a little more hustle and desire.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •