Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

High West Whiskey

I was at the LQ today getting some wine for a special V day dinner and I was checking out the HW Whiskey. I didn't realize they had several varieties. I would have bought one if I knew what the one to get was. Guess I could have just bought the most expensive one but I didn't want to. Anyway, anyone try them all and have a favorite? I've liked the rye beers I've had and considered getting the double rye. Would that have been a good choice?

Sorry for a whole entire thread for such a small question.

While we're here...

I've been really impressed with locally produced liquors. 5 Wives is a very respectable vodka in my humble opinion. I'd put it up there with Stoli. I've also tried High West Whiskey at a bar but they didn't specify which variety they were serving. I didn't think it was quite as good as my favorite whiskey, Wild Turkey (yeah, I know it's not Maker's Mark or better, but I like it).

GO LOCAL!

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    I was at the LQ today getting some wine for a special V day dinner and I was checking out the HW Whiskey. I didn't realize they had several varieties. I would have bought one if I knew what the one to get was. Guess I could have just bought the most expensive one but I didn't want to. Anyway, anyone try them all and have a favorite? I've liked the rye beers I've had and considered getting the double rye. Would that have been a good choice?

While we're here...

I've been really impressed with locally produced liquors. 5 Wives is a very respectable vodka in my humble opinion. I'd put it up there with Stoli. I've also tried High West Whiskey at a bar but they didn't specify which variety they were serving. I didn't think it was quite as good as my favorite whiskey, Wild Turkey (yeah, I know it's not Maker's Mark or better, but I like it).

GO LOCAL!
    Sorry, can't help you with the HW whiskey question. That said, I read just yesterday that Makers Mark can't keep up with demand so they are going to start diluting their product and dropping the bv% so they have more to distribute. Sounds like a bone head move to me. They would be better off leaving the recipe alone, upping the price and keeping it a premium product.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

While we're here...

GO LOCAL!
    I don't love Whiskey, but I really want to go to High West Distillery in PC.

Supposed to be a good restaurant, cool atmosphere and stuff.

You been on any cool brewery tours GameFace?

My buddy from College is coming back from Afghanistan this Summer, lives in Chicago, and wants a bunch of us to meet up in Colorado to tour a bunch of breweries. Sounds freaking awesome.
    #BringBackUGLI

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    I don't love Whiskey, but I really want to go to High West Distillery in PC.

Supposed to be a good restaurant, cool atmosphere and stuff.

You been on any cool brewery tours GameFace?

My buddy from College is coming back from Afghanistan this Summer, lives in Chicago, and wants a bunch of us to meet up in Colorado to tour a bunch of breweries. Sounds freaking awesome.
    Sounds like a hell of a good time.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I drink a ton of High West and I recommend it highly.

They are all pretty good but my favorite is the rendezvous.

They are a different kind of whiskey, its old fashioned american rye whiskey. It is very flavorful. Unfortunately High West is not old enough to have all of their own whiskey so a lot of it is taken from other distilleries and mixed with their new stuff or just all from other places. Their silver whiskies are pretty good as well. They are not old since most of the batches are aging but they sell the new stuff right now.

Their vodka is really good too. They are one of the few vodkas made out of oats. This gives it a nuttyish flavor that I like and it mixes well. If you like flavored vodka their peach stuff is pretty good for that kind of thing. I think they might be the only people who make oat vodka? I think it used to be more common but became expensive and clogged up machinery.

Honestly all of them are good. If you want one with the most crazy flavor try the campfire it is a lot of stuff going on in it.

Problem is that I dont really love other whiskies anymore so I have to keep buying it and I forced the bar in Provo (ABGs) to keep it in stock for me.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Did you end up buying any?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I did. I got the American Prairie Reserve. It was damn good. I'm not whiskey connoisseur but I think it's damn good whiskey. I drank a little bit of it neat, but I have to admit I usually mix it with Pepsi. Hope that's not like putting ketchup on a steak.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I did. I got the American Prairie Reserve. It was damn good. I'm not whiskey connoisseur but I think it's damn good whiskey. I drank a little bit of it neat, but I have to admit I usually mix it with Pepsi. Hope that's not like putting ketchup on a steak.
    Mixing it is great as well. High West is always preaches mixing their whiskey with sweet stuff so I guess Pepsi counts.

Banned
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Picked up the double rye tonight, drinks down nicely.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I also would like to try the new jim beam devils cut but the liquor store never has it