Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    DeMarre took a gamble on a near steal last night that resulted in an easy layup for the GST after he broke defense and failed to secure the ball. That's the downside to his style of play. Also, unlike Marvin, he's prone to getting blown by in man coverage.
    Demarre isn't a perfect player, obviously, but he's played better than Marvin this season despite having less natural talent. Marvin will actually flash to the middle or cut once every handful of games or so, and if he doesn't get the ball, it seems as though he gets frustrated and retreats back to his corner to sulk. There is no good reason why he shouldn't work harder, looking for seams and crashing the boards, on offense.
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    There is no basketball reason why Marvin plays over Carroll. It's not even defensible.

My personal guess is they don't want to completely obliterate Marvin as a possible trade asset. And taking him out of the rotation entirely, which is the right basketball move, would basically guarantee he's a dead contract.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by billyshelby View Post
    There is no basketball reason why Marvin plays over Carroll. It's not even defensible.
    Well the pro-Marvin crowd will talk up his defense. It's just not an elite special skill. It's ok, it's solid, but he's not someone that's going to shut down a star in the playoffs. Watch how Durrant just destroyed him in the 3rd QT of the last OKC/Utah game. Marvin can "shut down" rookies, and has beens, whoopie! He's simply a solid defender, but it's not a special skill that earns him playing time.
    "FEEL LIKE I'M ALL FLESH AND NO BONE
    I'M NOT THE SHAPES THAT I'M SHOWN
    HOPE I GET IT RIGHT TOMORROW"

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution 9 View Post
    Well the pro-Marvin crowd will talk up his defense. It's just not an elite special skill. It's ok, it's solid, but he's not someone that's going to shut down a star in the playoffs. Watch how Durrant just destroyed him in the 3rd QT of the last OKC/Utah game. Marvin can "shut down" rookies, and has beens, whoopie! He's simply a solid defender, but it's not a special skill that earns him playing time.
    The sad part is he is our best option against big wings usually. Burks and Hayward get overpowered. Carroll tries really hard but he can be posted or setup for back cuts.
    Always remember that you are absolutely unique.
    Just like everyone else.
    -Margaret Mead

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    The sad part is he is our best option against big wings usually. Burks and Hayward get overpowered. Carroll tries really hard but he can be posted or setup for back cuts.
    Maybe. But you know what - Burks, Carroll and Hayward can all guard 3 different positions. Most team's are lucky to have one guy who can guard 3 positions.

I'd take my chances with any of those 3 over of Marvin "The Invisible Assassin" Williams.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Carroll get's burned on defense sometimes. I see it too. I'm looking at the overall picture.
    Marvin is a solid defender, pretty ho hum on offense. He's not terrible, he's just terrible for the position he's been given (free pass, starter).
    We need to play the best players. Carroll, Burks, and Hayward give us more than Marvin imo.
    "FEEL LIKE I'M ALL FLESH AND NO BONE
    I'M NOT THE SHAPES THAT I'M SHOWN
    HOPE I GET IT RIGHT TOMORROW"

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    We pay Marvin too much to not let his see the floor. And his small amount of trade value he has would cease to exist.