Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Senior Member Lion's Roar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    241
    Total Rep Points
    885
    Rep Adjustment Power
    18

    Little math about the Luxury Tax

    Lakers resign Howard and get about the same payroll as this year of $100M.

    Luxury Tax hit would be: $72.250.000

    Total $ spent: $172.250.000

    Lakers resign Howard but trade Gasol for cap space. Payroll at $80M

    Luxury Tax hit would be $11.000.000

    Total $ spent: $91.000.000




    Let's say the Lakers trade Gasol to the Jazz for cap space. How much money would that save them??? $81.250.000

  2. #2
    Senior Member Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    in liquid hot lava
    Posts
    10,542
    Total Rep Points
    21057
    Rep Adjustment Power
    81
    Haha. That is a lot of money

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,312
    Total Rep Points
    7620
    Rep Adjustment Power
    43
    I do not want Gasol anywhere near this team. No way. First Boozer, then Al, and now you want to bring Pau into Utah?

    Battered wife syndrome.

  4. #4
    Senior Member carolinajazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,725
    Total Rep Points
    -662
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    ......yeah, looks like this new luxury tax is or may level the playing field a little bit!

  5. #5
    One Love - One Heart ONE LOVE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    19,876
    Total Rep Points
    22913
    Rep Adjustment Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by green View Post
    I do not want Gasol anywhere near this team. No way. First Boozer, then Al, and now you want to bring Pau into Utah?

    Battered wife syndrome.
    I don't really mind Gasol if he's just a gap fill for '14 while Favors & Kanter are getting better. He'll come off the books in '15 anyway.
    2014CurrentDraftChampion

    2014AllTimeDraftRunner-Up

  6.  

     

  7. #6
    Senior Member Zulu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The STG
    Posts
    9,703
    Total Rep Points
    20275
    Rep Adjustment Power
    81
    Ill take Gasol....

    Bring on the three headed monster!!
    http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2011/06/alec-burks-suit.jpg

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,376
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    i think ur misusing the term "capspace." lakers dont gain any cap space by trading just gasol, they'd just be reducing their salary.
    lakers aren't a small market team needing to save money though. they don't trade elite talent for salary savings. they make a **** ton of $$$.

  9. #8
    Senior Member NUMBERICA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,388
    Total Rep Points
    15774
    Rep Adjustment Power
    71
    I like Gasol, but I also only want 3 bigs in the rotation and I like Millsap more.

    If both Millsap and Al are gone, I'd look at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

  10. #9
    Senior Member NUMBERICA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,388
    Total Rep Points
    15774
    Rep Adjustment Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    i think ur misusing the term "capspace." lakers dont gain any cap space by trading just gasol, they'd just be reducing their salary.
    lakers aren't a small market team needing to save money though. they don't trade elite talent for salary savings. they make a **** ton of $$$.
    Yeah, but nowhere does a franchise looking at $80 ****ing million in savings for a guy that comes off the bench for them and wouldn't want to be there simply shrug it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

  11. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,376
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NUMBERICA View Post
    Yeah, but nowhere does a franchise looking at $80 ****ing million in savings for a guy that comes off the bench for them and wouldn't want to be there simply shrug it off.
    i dont think they'd "shrug it off," like mark cuban said, EVERYTHING has to be considered--even using the amnesty on Kobe.
    But at the end of the day, lakers aren't dumping Gasol for nothin. Doesn't make sense for them. They're a billion dollar franchise and their stock is only going up.
    Maybe they dump MWP or Blake for nothin, but not Gasol. That's not to say they're not looking to trade Pau, I think he's def. on the block, but just not for simple no-talent expirings or 2nd round picks. They'd want something worthwhile in return.

  12. #11
    Senior Member NUMBERICA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    13,388
    Total Rep Points
    15774
    Rep Adjustment Power
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    i dont think they'd "shrug it off," like mark cuban said, EVERYTHING has to be considered--even using the amnesty on Kobe.
    But at the end of the day, lakers aren't dumping Gasol for nothin. Doesn't make sense for them. They're a billion dollar franchise and their stock is only going up.
    Maybe they dump MWP or Blake for nothin, but not Gasol. That's not to say they're not looking to trade Pau, I think he's def. on the block, but just not for simple no-talent expirings or 2nd round picks. They'd want something worthwhile in return.
    Except that Gasol in D'Antoni's system just doesn't work and that their savings for getting rid of basically anyone else is either negligible (no one is taking on MWP or Steve Blake without getting something else, and amnesty savings only save on penalties) or laughable (the Lakers aren't amnestying Kobe, regardless of how outrageous his salary is)?

    I doubt that there are going to be a ton of teams that have $20 million in cap space to burn after free agency is well on it's way (which will probably have to have occured before Dwight re-signs as I believe he will at least test the waters). We'll see I guess, but if the Lakers option is to save $80 million by giving away an essentially redundant player or misfit, they'd be looney tunes to not do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,312
    Total Rep Points
    7620
    Rep Adjustment Power
    43
    Unless D'Antoni wins a title, he won't be back.

    Dwight is the future now. They will get a coach that makes Dwight better.

  14. #13
    I Like Warm Hugs Stifle Tower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Saving up for League Pass
    Posts
    14,864
    Total Rep Points
    26490
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by NUMBERICA View Post
    Except that Gasol in D'Antoni's system just doesn't work and that their savings for getting rid of basically anyone else is either negligible (no one is taking on MWP or Steve Blake without getting something else, and amnesty savings only save on penalties) or laughable (the Lakers aren't amnestying Kobe, regardless of how outrageous his salary is)?

    I doubt that there are going to be a ton of teams that have $20 million in cap space to burn after free agency is well on it's way (which will probably have to have occured before Dwight re-signs as I believe he will at least test the waters). We'll see I guess, but if the Lakers option is to save $80 million by giving away an essentially redundant player or misfit, they'd be looney tunes to not do it.
    You never know what the Buss children will do. Perhaps they aren't as committed to basketball as their Daddy was. We've seen Greg take less of an interest than Larry H. And in baseball, the Yankees (under Hal Steinbrenner) are actually talking about austerity! The bottom line is that the bottom line affects the inheritance of the Buss kids. If I had to bet, I'd put money on the Lakers taking whatever they can get for Gasol.

  15. #14
    Senior Member Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    27,570
    Total Rep Points
    16730
    Rep Adjustment Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Lion's Roar View Post
    Lakers resign Howard and get about the same payroll as this year of $100M.

    Luxury Tax hit would be: $72.250.000

    Total $ spent: $172.250.000

    Lakers resign Howard but trade Gasol for cap space. Payroll at $80M

    Luxury Tax hit would be $11.000.000

    Total $ spent: $91.000.000




    Let's say the Lakers trade Gasol to the Jazz for cap space. How much money would that save them??? $81.250.000
    It wouldn't be that drastic. They would have to take some salary back if they traded Gasol, right?

  16. #15
    Senior Member gregbroncs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Here! Wait is this a roll call?
    Posts
    3,893
    Total Rep Points
    4039
    Rep Adjustment Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrone Torbin View Post
    It wouldn't be that drastic. They would have to take some salary back if they traded Gasol, right?
    Not really. They could trade him to Utah for future 2nd round pick and take nothing back at all. In fact they might have to give the Jazz something for Utah to accept that deal. Why should the Jazz waste their cap space on a guy just to save the Lakers a **** ton of money.
    .
    The more I think about it the more sense getting Gasol for 1 year makes. Either start him with Favors or bring him off of the bench in a 3 big rotation of Kanter, Favors, and Gasol. No long term contract messing up our flexibility and we should get something else from the Lakers for saving them that much money. I don't know what but they have to have something.
    .
    Oh and I'm not a Gasol fan. I think he's well past his sell by date and not nearly the player he once was.
    Welcome aboard Snyder, Exum and Hood. Here is to hoping this season is more entertaining than the last 3.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •