Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

Zone employee says it's a done deal to keep Corbin

Talked to a guy at the Zone and he says the Jazz have made their decision to keep Corbin -- in other words, Greg has told KOC and Lindsey to keep him.

First BF League CHAMP nightmare3983's Avatar
    The dark void between summer league and training camp
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Well now the suspense can end.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    A Nightmare...

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    While I give no credence to this rumor, I fully expect massive ****ups this offseason. We'll sign a couple fillers, look for deals, and sit on our hands until the all star break.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ginola 14 View Post
    A Nightmare...
    Naw, they didn't hire me. They're keeping Corbin like the OP said.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Not surprised, actually I'd be more surprised if they did fire Corbin. Still puzzles me why he's staying, it seems like anytime national media talks about Corbin all they say or see in him is a clueless coach who is in over his head...why can't the FO see it?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by NAOS View Post
    While I give no credence to this rumor, I fully expect massive ****ups this offseason. We'll sign a couple fillers, look for deals, and sit on our hands until the all star break.
    The only main way I can see that as a mess up is one of two ways. Their real targets shut them down or they play those "fillers" above the C4.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Pistons fire Frank. Cavaliers fire Scott.

What will the Jazz do? Kiss Corbin's a**.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawlnstall View Post
    Not surprised, actually I'd be more surprised if they did fire Corbin. Still puzzles me why he's staying, it seems like anytime national media talks about Corbin all they say or see in him is a clueless coach who is in over his head...why can't the FO see it?
    Setting aside my feelings in the matter.

The sports media has a 24 hour news cycle, and with all the Talking heads who get paid to spout opinions they need material, and they need strong opinions to keep their jobs. It is no good for ratings to say that the Jazz are are being cautious and it is really nice that they are loyal and letting a guy who they believe has the right personality for the job to work through some mistakes and basically learn on the Job.

Lindsey said some of the critisims were valid, referring to Zach Lowe's article specifically. But Jazz keep talking about a process, a process to build a team, a process to build players-- is it inconceivable that they believe it is also a process to build a coach?
    X LIKE XENOPUS.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by underKANTER View Post
    Pistons fire Frank. Cavaliers fire Scott.

What will the Jazz do? Kiss Corbin's a**.
    Frank asked to either have his 14-15n option picked up or be let go (though they may well have fired him anyway). Scott finished his third year in Cleveland. We can only hope that Ty does a better job this year or that if he still sucks then that's the end of the line.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Of course it is. Do you guys realize how much money is still left on his deal?
    Lakers Suck.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thriller View Post
    I think the better questions are:
    -How much money have they saved by hiring a nobody vs. a valued commodity?
    -How much money has already been lost or may be lost in the future by sticking with what is becoming a pariah in the NATIONAL media?

If the money owed (which I wouldn't imagine is a lot vs the rest of the field) is the reason they're going to stick it out, that seems very shortsighted. If the Jazz see this as an opportunity to see what Ty can do when not held hostage by veterans with the consequence being a poor season prior to a great draft, then maybe they're brilliant. Unfortunately, we probably won't have much of an idea of their strategy until a few years down the line.

For my part, I think the organization needs to seize an opportunity to improve now even as tantalizing as next year's draft is supposed to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by NUMBERICA View Post
    If the money owed (which I wouldn't imagine is a lot vs the rest of the field) is the reason they're going to stick it out, that seems very shortsighted. If the Jazz see this as an opportunity to see what Ty can do when not held hostage by veterans with the consequence being a poor season prior to a great draft, then maybe they're brilliant. Unfortunately, we probably won't have much of an idea of their strategy until a few years down the line.
    I'm pretty sure that has to be the thought process at this point.. keeping Ty is a win-win for them, they don't have to pay him and a new coach, if they end up overachieving then we'll all shut up for a year, and if we suck then we get a great draft pick and they can blame this all on Ty.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by The Thriller View Post
    The best numbers I could find estimated it at about $2 million. That's a lot less than they paid Raja Bell to not play this past season, so I could easily see them buying out Corbin's contract.

Edit: and I think the team would have made more than that in additional revenue had the Jazz made the playoffs this year. So how much is a good coach worth?
    "Giving to the poor is an essential part of Christian morality. I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. Im afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare... If our charities do not at all pinch or hamper us, I should say they are too small. There ought to be things that wed like to do but cannot do because our charitable expenditure excludes them." --C.S. Lewis
    :-)

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by colton View Post
    The best numbers I could find estimated it at about $2 million. That's a lot less than they paid Raja Bell to not play this past season, so I could easily see them buying out Corbin's contract.

Edit: and I think the team would have made more than that in additional revenue had the Jazz made the playoffs this year. So how much is a good coach worth?
    Besides that many teams fire guys at rates past 2x what Corbin is getting AND with multiple years left on their deals. I know Utah's not a market with deep pockets vs competitors, but is dying Detroit doing so much better that it can eat... what is it, $8 million on Lawrence Frank?
    Quote Originally Posted by every forum dreg
    I think he can play SF