Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock Picks

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Anyone else building a thesis on Japan? The disconnect between GDP growth + production enhancements and valuations can't stay forever. Plus, as you could probably guess, I love that they finally raised the interest target to a pro-growth level.

Time to spend those bennies you old as Japanese hoarders.
    No Mediocrity

Premium Member Jazz Punk Rocker's Avatar
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Netflix has been on fire for me lately...I think its still a good buy but definitely risky. It's more volatile than Corbin's starting line-up.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Ya Netflix getting that Disney deal was pretty big. DirectTV has been killing Netflix with how quickly they get the movies out.
    BYU 1984 National Champs.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Went long Walter Energy(WLT) today. Buyout chatter. I don't usually buy that stuff, but this thing is a horrible stock earnings wise so they have little chance to do anything other than sell out and has been getting rocked over the past 5 quarters and hasn't been propped up by any previous chatter, and only jumped 6% today so I thought.... what the hell....I haven't bought anything to hold in awhile anyway. I'm in at 33 flat on this baby, we'll see where it's at in 6 months.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck Rodgers View Post
    Went long Walter Energy(WLT) today. Buyout chatter. I don't usually buy that stuff, but this thing is a horrible stock earnings wise so they have little chance to do anything other than sell out and has been getting rocked over the past 5 quarters and hasn't been propped up by any previous chatter, and only jumped 6% today so I thought.... what the hell....I haven't bought anything to hold in awhile anyway. I'm in at 33 flat on this baby, we'll see where it's at in 6 months.
    Why is the price so volatile compared to other miners? The met?

Wish I could get behind coal. Looked back into it before the imminent Obama victory was crushing them but couldn't get comfortable. Too many variables involved..
    No Mediocrity

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Yeah, probably just coal prices being all over the place and being dependent upon whatever China says one day to the next.

Seems pretty standard across the whole industry,

And those L.P.'s don't count because they are barely traded. I'm probably going to drop the stock in a few days if I can get somebody to write my calls that I want. I need June calls - that's the bet I want to make.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    The reason I asked was running a chart over Arch and BTU (stocks I've followed with varying levels of interest going back to 2007). There's another catalyst in WLT other than simply coal/China volatility. Met coal goes for a lot more than power coal, which is why I guessed it was the reason for the volatility. I.e. BTU was pushing Australian met reserves a few years back as a growth driver hinged to China. The other obvious option with miners is reserve discovery info., especially with a relatively small company like Walter. They looked N. American so no currency issues...

Something was going on with that chart. You don't go 300% higher than the standard bearer (BTU) without a reason. Could be a hidden upside driver in that buyout chatter.
    No Mediocrity

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Where's the 300% higher number coming from?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck Rodgers View Post
    Where's the 300% higher number coming from?
    5 year chart. WLT looks like a mountain range while the others look like a valley.

It's too bad coal is dead in America. These things would be incredibly cheap if nat gas wasn't killing the clean coal concept. The green crowd would rather build all these new "carbon neutral" wood fired power plants than a much cleaner coal plant. Laughable, isn't it?
    No Mediocrity

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    The green crowd would rather build all these new "carbon neutral" wood fired power plants than a much cleaner coal plant. Laughable, isn't it?
    So you agree that the green crowd are a joke as well?
    I thought you loved the U.N., and all their efforts to tax our non-existing carbon footprint?
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    WLT went from 13 to 142 when BTU went from 18 to 68 and ACI 12 to 34. What's to miss?

No to your chart question.
    No Mediocrity

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Mo, I noticed this in your sig:

Are you a penny stock trader?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Dipped my toes into EWJ today. Wanted DXJ for the currency hedge but it's even longer in the tooth. I think it's finally time to buy Japan; talk to me in 10 years.
    No Mediocrity

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    Dipped my toes into EWJ today. Wanted DXJ for the currency hedge but it's even longer in the tooth. I think it's finally time to buy Japan; talk to me in 10 years.
    I think Japan is going to outperfom China in spades in the coming decade. . .. simply because it is the dominant competitor to an unwelcome new big bully in East Asia/Pacific Rim. Look for Japan once again. . . .like the run-up to WWII, enjoying strong relations with south Asian countries like Viet Nam, Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines and Taiwan. Oh, yeah, they won't have Manchuria this time, but South Korea and Australia will be looking for stronger, and this time voluntary relations. Few people realize that China can never dominate the region on the basis of nationalism or cultural dominance, or military strength. The outlying bordering nations have the same population, and better management. And more freedom.

The fact remains that all these countries have large Chinese populations who don't like the communist bully. And they will be impossible to dominate by central planners. . . .

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/johndobo...rtner=yahootix

Shiza! They're going to buy Japanese stocks now.

Embrace the race and enjoy the ride.
    No Mediocrity