Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Matthew Thomas Castleton's Avatar
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

Is Hayward a victim of reverse racism on this board?

Think of it this way: If Hayward was black and had accomplished the same things that he did in NCAA Tournament, would there be the same type of sentiment on this board? To say that Gordon is not athletic and that he won't amount to anything is the ultimate example of racism and stereotyping. He is much more athletic that he looks. He also graded out quite well at the NBA combine. Who exactly did you want them to draft? Cole Aldrich. Um, no. Paul George. He is the most inconsistent player I have ever seen. Ed Davis? He has project/bust written all over him. Look at it this way: the Jazz worked out Hayward with Luke Babbitt, Xavier Henry, Al-Farouq Aminu, Damion James, and Ryan Thompson. All of the aforementioned players except Aminu were still on the board when the Jazz picked 9th. They obviously liked Hayward better than any of these players, so why should we complain? Hayward must have stood out to the Jazz better than any of the other listed players. Why else would they draft him if he didn't? Who cares about his skin color? Why does it matter? How suddenly we all forget that Deron Williams basically accomplished the same things in the NCAA Tournament that Hayward did and no one seemed to complain back then. Hayward's team actually came closer to winning the NCAA Championship than Deron's team did. Both of them lost to North Carolina teams, in a weird coincidence. Williams's team arguably had better players than Hayward's team.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    If he ends up an All-Star & Olympian like DWill I will apologize. Fair enough?
    Life is like watching Fast and the Furious 6. It's not easy, most of the time it's just dumb and pointless, everything is fake, there is a lot of noise, but if you close your eyes and picture yourself in an open field or a quiet forest, you can maybe make it to the end without killing yourself.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I love reverse racism. Affirmative Action FTL.

[edited]

Senior Member The Ghost of Blue Edwards's Avatar
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    No, it's not racism to acknowledge the simple fact that in the NBA black athletes are physically superior to white athletes due to simple genetic economics, i.e., the breeding of slaves in the 17th-19th centuries.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    On the other hand, his max vert is pretty impressive for a white guy.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of Blue Edwards View Post
    No, it's not racism to acknowledge the simple fact that in the NBA black athletes are physically superior to white athletes due to simple genetic economics, i.e., the breeding of slaves in the 17th-19th centuries.
    Wow...

You really believe that?

Quote Originally Posted by negative reputation giver
    youre inquires are tiresome

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    However, Luke Babbitt has a much greater wingspan, much higher max vert, lower body fat, and much higher bench press.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I think we're complaining because this pick didn't fill an immediate need (not saying that there was a player available to do that or not). We traded away Brewer who plays the same position and proved that he could play in the NBA (though he still can't shoot) for a guy who is un-proven (and can't shoot). Net negative. We are frustrated because we see Boozer leaving, huge contracts for under producing players and no public effort on the part of the organization to address the outstanding team needs. The guys who the frustration should be aimed at are KOC/Sloan/Miller and not the poor kid who just had the best day of his life (and I truly hope he becomes the next Ginobili but the odds aren't good). The fact that he is white just re-enforces the Utah stereotype (even Bill Simmons brought it up in his draft diary on ESPN). Keep hating the race argument but it isn't going to stop anybody from continuing to make it.
    Would YOU want to play for grandma Gail and Greggy?

Number of NBA champions over the last 30 years = 9. Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Spurs, Rockets, Pistons, Heat, 76ers, Mavs.

Bringin' the diversity! VINYLONE's Avatar
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I dont give a **** if its reverse anything. Haywad is AWS. Another white stiff whose game will not translate into the NBA. Another garbage Adam Morrison. And I'm sure he has a great story behind him and his family life is great and he speaks proper English. Bla, ****ing bla. I want the Jazz to win the championship and this kid will not help us get there.

If he proves me wrong, so be it. But at this point, the kid is a stiff.
    “I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being, first and foremost, and as such I'm for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.” - Malcolm X

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of Blue Edwards View Post
    Um, yes it is. Skin color has absolutely NOTHING to do with athletic ability. Your comment is a classical example of stereotyping. Just because you are black doesn't mean you are a great athlete and you have "physically superior" traits based upon "simple genetic economics" as you so suggest. That is like saying that being white means that you suddenly have a greater level of intelligence or any other superior trait. If being black makes you so much more "superior" as an athlete, why do Pau Gasol and Dirk Nowitzki match up so well against most players they play against? Aren't they handicapped by their lack of "physically superior" traits based upon "simple genetic economics"? What a bunch of crap.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck View Post
    Wow...

You really believe that?
    That is a bit silly, but there certainly is a difference between how different groups of people play different sports. African Americans (but far from blacks in general) tend to be better basketball players than other groups. Americans of European descent tend to perform better in some of the other sports, or in certain roles in black dominated sports.

That said, it is absurd to object to a player due to his racial makeup.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck View Post
    Wow...

You really believe that?

Look, if you don't understand genetic economics and how it relates to the history of blacks in America, I'm not gonna spend all day explaining it you.

Put yourself in the shoes of a slave owner in colonial America. If you have 2 slaves put in front of you and one of them looks like Gordon Hayward and the other looks like Amare Stoudemire, which one would you buy?

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Yes

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Why? Why does race matter at all? And who's to say that ANY player that we could have drafted would have filled an immediate "need"? Personally, I like the pick. Here's what I think we should do: trade Andrei Kirilenko for a center. Like Andris Biedris, who is probably available now that the Warriors drafted Ekpe Udoh.

Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Thomas Castleton View Post
    Um, yes it is. Skin color has absolutely NOTHING to do with athletic ability. Your comment is a classical example of stereotyping. Just because you are black doesn't mean you are a great athlete and you have "physically superior" traits based upon "simple genetic economics" as you so suggest. That is like saying that being white means that you suddenly have a greater level of intelligence or any other superior trait. If being black makes you so much more "superior" as an athlete, why do Pau Gasol and Dirk Nowitzki match up so well against most players they play against? Aren't they handicapped by their lack of "physically superior" traits based upon "simple genetic economics"? What a bunch of crap.

Who's the last white player you've seen with the physical gifts of Lebron James, Amare Stoudamire, Ron Artest, Dwight Howard or Karl Malone? I have tremendous respect for any white player that is successful in the NBA because they are at a huge genetic disadvantage. This should be apparent from simple observation. It's really sad that I have to go into the history of the black man's plight in America to explain it to you. Yea, and I'm the racist. Jesus.