Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 265
  1. #151
    Moderator Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    21,382
    Total Rep Points
    26992
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    I know we've had a discussion where I explained why that is not like my posiiton at all. I supposed I am expecting too much for you to remember that.
    i am just having a good time. i thought it would make you shake your head and smile.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    Ok so let me get this straight.... so if an african american does not like you because you are white but he doesn't have more money, higher job status, or power over you then who cares?

    So basically if an african american who is broke and has no job decides to burn your house down just because he doesn't like the fact that you are white then you would consider that to be ok?
    You are missing the point, if he doesnt like me and acts on it whether it be through not promoting me, shooting me, burning my house down, etc ..... then there is a problem. If he is racist against me but doesn't do anything, just inwardly doesnt like me because of my race then no i dont care and neither should you. It doesnt matter if he has money or not, if he doesnt do anything to harm me then its no skin off my nuts.

  3. #153
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    8,813
    Total Rep Points
    8547
    Rep Adjustment Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzSpazz View Post
    I disagree. You can still have racism in an equal "power" situation.
    You can still have racist thought, opinions, cognitive short-cuts, etc. Everyone has them. That is not racism.

    You can even have racially discriminative actions, that don't upset an equal power balance, if such a balance were to exist. This might be because such actions don't distrub the equilibrium or form a dynamic equilibrium. That is not racism.

    Racism is when these thoughts, opinions, cognitive short-cuts, and discriminative actions combine to form a culture where people, either directly or indirectly, have their actions treated with different values, their personhood compressed and otherized, their opportunites curtailed, etc. There is no reverse racism. Racism requires teh existence of a group held as the normal, and by definition such a group is not marginalized.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  4. #154
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    8,813
    Total Rep Points
    8547
    Rep Adjustment Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    i am just having a good time. i thought it would make you shake your head and smile.
    I couldn't give you rep, so I'll just say thank you for making sure I don't take this too seriously.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,376
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    is it reverse racialism to believe white people sometime don't or won't understand true racialism because as aforementioned, they are white?
    or instead of racialism, is it the truth? or is it a bit of both, because some are able to understand it when placed in certain situations like Hayward in the NBA.
    Though he is a bit of an exception because he is in the NBA but then again he is in Utah.

    discuss.

  6. #156
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    8,813
    Total Rep Points
    8547
    Rep Adjustment Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    So basically if an african american who is broke and has no job decides to burn your house down just because he doesn't like the fact that you are white then you would consider that to be ok?
    The police will be much more likely to catch that guy, because they'll investigate more diligently than if you burned down his house. Once caught, he'll face more serious charges, be much more likely to go into the prison system, serve a longer sentence, and will find it harder to get a job after he gets out. Further, that guy has a pretty good idea this is true, even if he hasn't read the studies that back this up.

    So, you're pretty safe on that count.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  7. #157
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    8,813
    Total Rep Points
    8547
    Rep Adjustment Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    is it reverse racialism to believe white people sometime don't or won't understand true racialism because as aforementioned, they are white?
    I've never been in the military. Is it prejudice to say I'll never understand what it means to go through boot camp in the same way and to the same degree as a veteran?
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Racism is an action, not a thought or opinion.

  9. #159
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    8,813
    Total Rep Points
    8547
    Rep Adjustment Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by kennykyle View Post
    Racism is an action, not a thought or opinion.
    Racism is a system, one that accepts and promotes both thoughts and actions in a feedback cycle.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  10. #160
    High Definition Gameface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,221
    Total Rep Points
    3856
    Rep Adjustment Power
    31
    So a poor redneck truck drive cannot be racist. Am I right?

  11.  

     

  12. #161
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,932
    Total Rep Points
    10339
    Rep Adjustment Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by kennykyle View Post
    They can be racist but does anyone give a ****? The only time racism is really a problem is when one race is holding another down. I dont care if an african american doesnt like me, but if he doesnt like me and is my boss then there is a problem.
    So you are saying racism has nothing to do with racism.

    It's all about power over someone else. If race is not the key factor, then it is not racism, it's something else.
    TREYBOT

  13. #162
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6,932
    Total Rep Points
    10339
    Rep Adjustment Power
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    You can still have racist thought, opinions, cognitive short-cuts, etc. Everyone has them. That is not racism.

    You can even have racially discriminative actions, that don't upset an equal power balance, if such a balance were to exist. This might be because such actions don't distrub the equilibrium or form a dynamic equilibrium. That is not racism.

    Racism is when these thoughts, opinions, cognitive short-cuts, and discriminative actions combine to form a culture where people, either directly or indirectly, have their actions treated with different values, their personhood compressed and otherized, their opportunites curtailed, etc. There is no reverse racism. Racism requires teh existence of a group held as the normal, and by definition such a group is not marginalized.
    Quote Originally Posted by kennykyle View Post
    Racism is an action, not a thought or opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    Racism is a system, one that accepts and promotes both thoughts and actions in a feedback cycle.
    Thoughts lead directly to actions, whether small are large.

    Racism can be seen by the actions, but it stems from the thoughts.

    A person can be racist and not act on those ideas, and yet still be racist. Usually those thoughts lead to words, and if unrestrained will usually turn to actions from that point.

    Please tell me what action in the human existence did not start first with a thought?

    Racism can start with one person, and be contained in one person.

    We can agree to disagree on this. You view racism as starting somewhere more advanced than I believe. I see it as starting in the thoughts on the individual level. You don't see it as racism until more people are involved if I understand you correctly OB.
    TREYBOT

  14. #163
    Senior Member CitizenofCapua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Look at my "nick".
    Posts
    1,074
    Total Rep Points
    2718
    Rep Adjustment Power
    17
    If you guys want to know how racism is evolves and advances gradually, watch this movie. The movie is more about fascism and discrimination but this notions very close to each other and got same morals ideologicly.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1063669/

    In my opinion racism starts with when you feel privileged, not personally but as an ethnical group from other ethnic sections of society and advances when you perform minor or more radical acts against the other sections of society.

    OP; I don't think there is a "reverse" racism (whatever that means..) against Hayward and if there is a hate against Hayward on this board it must be about his overall performance as a player and his "reverse" lay-ups.
    Last edited by CitizenofCapua; 11-21-2012 at 01:15 PM.

  15. #164
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    8,813
    Total Rep Points
    8547
    Rep Adjustment Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    So a poor redneck truck drive cannot be anything other than racist, since he's a human. Am I right?
    Fixed it for you.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  16. #165
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    8,813
    Total Rep Points
    8547
    Rep Adjustment Power
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzSpazz View Post
    I see it as starting in the thoughts on the individual level. You don't see it as racism until more people are involved if I understand you correctly OB.
    I think it's good vocaulary to use different words for different concepts. I can see actions as being based in cognitive shorcuts that are racist in nature, and have no problem saying those are racist actions. However, racism is a property of a culture, not a person.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •