Page 125 of 132 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1319
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Utah's talent level didn't seem equal to TCU's when the Horned Frogs beat the piss out of them in SLC.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Well, the Pac-12 gave out 1st team honors.... Star was 1st team defense, Dunn was 1st team Special teams, and Brenner was second team offense.

Here is a link...

https://pac-12.com/Sports/Football/F...announced.aspx

From the article, it seems that everyone and their mother receives an 'honorable mention' in the Pac-12 as well.

Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Utah had Pac 12 caliber players on offense. John White was one of the best running backs in the conference. Utah also had several good receivers last year who sucked this year.

I find it hard to believe Devonte Christopher could go from NFL caliber to not even Pac 12 caliber, while coincidentally every other receiver on the roster had a similar regression. Reggie Dunn was grossly under utilized. He should have had several passes every game.

These guys aren't unknowns, they were Pac 12 caliber players last season.

I think the coaching staff totally blew it this year on the offensive side of the ball.

I'm pretty confident that if Utah and TCU had traded coaching staffs before the season, Utah would be going bowling.

Not to put it all on the coaches, the players certainly deserve a lot of blame too (starting with the most inconsistent kicker in college football). But the coaches on the offensive side of the ball were definitely not Pac 12 caliber this season.
    most inconsistent kicker in college football? Uh hell no that title goes to byu's kicker justin sorenson.
    He even managed to miss 2 xtra points in the last game

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    most inconsistent kicker in college football? Uh hell no that title goes to byu's kicker justin sorenson.
    He even managed to miss 2 xtra points in the last game
    I disagree. He consistently missed easy FG attempts and extra points.
    Gobert has a serious defensive gravity.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    It seemed like kicking was a lost art across the breadth of college football this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I think Utah had Pac 12 caliber players on offense. John White was one of the best running backs in the conference. Utah also had several good receivers last year who sucked this year.

I find it hard to believe Devonte Christopher could go from NFL caliber to not even Pac 12 caliber, while coincidentally every other receiver on the roster had a similar regression. Reggie Dunn was grossly under utilized. He should have had several passes every game.

These guys aren't unknowns, they were Pac 12 caliber players last season.
    lol You can go to any college team out there and cherry pick some good talent. I'm talking as a whole. Thought that was obvious but guess not. So let's make it clear this time. Generally speaking Utah is near the bottom of the Pac12 when it comes to talent . . . clearly.
    BYU 1984 National Champs.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I think it's pretty clear:

#1 Utah needs to improve its' recruiting.
    #2 Utah GREATLY needs to improve its' coaching.

It's one just one thing. It's both.

Utah would still be near the bottom of the Pac even if it had Oregon or USC talent on it with the way plays were called, defensive strategies, and players used.
    Get Educated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by CONAN View Post
    lol You can go to any college team out there and cherry pick some good talent. I'm talking as a whole. Thought that was obvious but guess not. So let's make it clear this time. Generally speaking Utah is near the bottom of the Pac12 when it comes to talent . . . clearly.
    I'm not cherry picking talent. I'm listing examples of players who were clearly Pac 12 caliber last season, but clearly not this season (Christopher, Anderson). And players who clearly were Pac 12 caliber this season but never had any plays (Dunn).

Utah has had 2 recruiting classes as a member of the Pac 12, and another recruiting class when everyone knew they would be joining the Pac 12. If they don't have Pac 12 caliber players by now, that's 100% on the coaches. I still think they do have Pac 12 caliber players though, they just aren't using them right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I'm not cherry picking talent. I'm listing examples of players who were clearly Pac 12 caliber last season, but clearly not this season (Christopher, Anderson). And players who clearly were Pac 12 caliber this season but never had any plays (Dunn).

Utah has had 2 recruiting classes as a member of the Pac 12, and another recruiting class when everyone knew they would be joining the Pac 12. If they don't have Pac 12 caliber players by now, that's 100% on the coaches. I still think they do have Pac 12 caliber players though, they just aren't using them right.
    Yes you are cherry-picking. My point is that Utah is near the bottom of the Pac12 in terms of talent. You name a few players that are talented. That's fine. That doesn't change my argument one bit. You can have some talented players and still be a bottom-talent team overall. Stay in context if you quote me.
    BYU 1984 National Champs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Reggie Dunn may have been under-utilized, but he had as much to do with that as Johnson did. Dunn seemed to drop or fumble almost every pass thrown his way early in the season. I was a big Dunn supporter and told anyone who would listen that he should get more touches, but it became obvious that he wasn't doing anything with the touches on offense. The two guys who really should have had more touches were Luke Matthews and Kelvin York. Matthews is one of the least appreciated Utes in memory, but all he seemed to do was make plays when his number was called. York had injury problems, but when he was healthy, he should have been getting the carries while JW4 was getting back to health.

It will be interesting to see how the safeties are next year if Rowe can stay healthy and if Blechen can get through the year without "breaking the rules". Pass the dutchie from the left hand side.