Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 202
  1. #141
    Senior Member GVC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Posts
    7,278
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    16522
    Rep Adjustment Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSilencer1313 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want proof.
    Did you miss my post? Admittedly, I haven't crunched the numbers myself. Dave Berri is a competitor with Hollinger, obviously, but this is probably pretty reliable.
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #142
    Senior Member GVC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Posts
    7,278
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    16522
    Rep Adjustment Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not if you score more than the other team. Show me the 30% rule in the NBA handbook bro.
    Can you find me a team that's won a game in the last 10 seasons while shooting under 30.4% from the field?
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

  4. #143
    Senior Member TheSilencer1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tooele, Utah
    Posts
    3,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    1156
    Rep Adjustment Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you're shooting 30% from the floor, you're losing.
    Not if the other team doesn't rebound, take care of the ball, or shoot over 29 percent ;-)
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

  5. #144
    Senior Member TheSilencer1313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tooele, Utah
    Posts
    3,101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    1156
    Rep Adjustment Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you miss my post? Admittedly, I haven't crunched the numbers myself. Dave Berri is a competitor with Hollinger, obviously, but this is probably pretty reliable.
    Yeah I got ya.
    Well if I find proof that PER actually goes up while a players efficiency actually goes down, I will then also consider PER junk.
    Until then....
    "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered." - Thomas Jefferson

  6. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can you find me a team that's won a game in the last 10 seasons while shooting under 30.4% from the field?
    Too much irrelevant research involved--It doesn't matter if it's happened in the last 10 years or ever in the history in the NBA.
    It's just fact. A team can shoot 10% and still win the game if they score more points than the other team.
    The concept to take away from this is that MORE points do have value, relative to how you perform in other parts of the game. It's not like PER just makes chuckers look like superstars, it's a very small part of a relatively large formula, as far as current advanced stats go.

  7. #146
    Senior Member GVC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Posts
    7,278
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    16522
    Rep Adjustment Power
    84
    How are you measuring "efficiency"?
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

  8. #147
    Senior Member GVC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Posts
    7,278
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    16522
    Rep Adjustment Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not like PER just makes chuckers look like superstars, it's a very small part of a relatively large formula
    Didn't you say it did a good job of measuring offensive efficiency? Haven't you been rambling on about scoring? Yes, it's a small part of a relatively large and worthless formula.
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

  9. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't you say it did a good job of measuring offensive efficiency? Haven't you been rambling on about scoring? Yes, it's a small part of a relatively large and worthless formula.
    Offensive efficiency =/= shooting efficiency.
    I use the term offensive because most of the variables recorded in a common box score are mainly on the offensive end. You could make a case that the box score stats are simplistic and don't measure intangibles/defense very well, and I'd agree--but it's the best we've got right now and PER is one of the best tools--tools-- at taking whatever info. we do have and turning it into a single number that's pretty accurate for what it's supposed to be doing.

    You can put any advanced stat out there, even ones the wages of wins use, and point to it's faults. That doesn't mean it's junk.

  10. #149
    Senior Member GVC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Posts
    7,278
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    16522
    Rep Adjustment Power
    84
    Why is it one of the best tools? Because ESPN uses it?
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

  11. #150
    Senior Member NAOS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Jazz Forum
    Posts
    15,924
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    29022
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    PER and ESPN suck ass.
    {size/HUGE} RUDY {/size}
    Pres. & CFO of Sefolosha Fan Club (PM for details)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are a community of Utah JazzFanz that are passionate about our team. We celebrate the highs that come with last second heroics and (some of us) cry in defeat. Welcome to our community. Be respectful of others and join in to the conversation...
Join us