Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by larryselbows View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I fully understand what "utilitarian" means. I just think that you and I disagree - and that's okay.
    I don't mind disagreement. However, I would like ot see your answer, or the answer of anyone else worried about the doctor's/hospital's religious freedom, to answer my question about whether their right to practice religion should be allowed to supersede the right of the patient to receive optimal care, according to the practices of the medical profession.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Fire Controlman
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    I don't mind disagreement. However, I would like ot see your answer, or the answer of anyone else worried about the doctor's/hospital's religious freedom, to answer my question about whether their right to practice religion should be allowed to supersede the right of the patient to receive optimal care, according to the practices of the medical profession.
    Look, if an auto mechanic doesn't want to do a front-end alignment I don't see how a customer has any right to force them to do a front-end alignment, even if that's what their car needs. The customer is free to find a new mechanic.

If a doctor has a personal objection to performing a specific procedure or providing a certain type of care they shouldn't be forced to perform it because they are a doctor. Same for the owner of a hospital.

How can you argue that a person should be forced to act against their will, especially when they have a moral objection to the action?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
    Look, if an auto mechanic doesn't want to do a front-end alignment I don't see how a customer has any right to force them to do a front-end alignment, even if that's what their car needs. The customer is free to find a new mechanic.

If a doctor has a personal objection to performing a specific procedure or providing a certain type of care they shouldn't be forced to perform it because they are a doctor. Same for the owner of a hospital.

How can you argue that a person should be forced to act against their will, especially when they have a moral objection to the action?
    Being a Dr. and a mehanic are not similar. Sometimes people dont have time to dick around looking for a dr with the right religion. If it is in the best interest of the patient it should be done regardless of religion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

What if the person just got hit by a bus, is unconscious, rushed to the hospital in an effort to save their life, and the only hospital around is some religious hospital that doesn't believe in current medical technology?

In just about every skilled profession there are standards that have to be met in order to get licensed. I have no problem holding doctors to standards.

If being a doctor conflicts with someone's religious belief, then they shouldn't become a doctor.

What's next, soldiers who don't have to kill anyone because it's against their religion?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    What if the person just got hit by a bus, is unconscious, rushed to the hospital in an effort to save their life, and the only hospital around is some religious hospital that doesn't believe in current medical technology?
    Do you think birth control pills would help in this situation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    Do you think birth control pills would help in this situation?
    No. But I think surgery and blood transfusions (which some religions are against) would definitely help.

I think birth control helps in other situations though, as the chick from Georgetown testified while Rush called her a slut.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    No. But I think surgery and blood transfusions (which some religions are against) would definitely help.

I think birth control helps in other situations though, as the chick from Georgetown testified while Rush called her a slut.
    In Rush's defense she was probably way slutty.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

Are there any hospitals that are owned by a religion that doesn't believe in transfusions or surgery?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Scat View Post
    Are there any hospitals that are owned by a religion that doesn't believe in transfusions or surgery?
    I don't know. But the girl who Rush called a slut testified about Georgetown not giving birth control to women with cervical cancer who needed it to live.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Of course. Because the state of mind of a person being told they have a tumor is just like the one where the person is told they need a front-end alighment. Because the consequences of not having a tumor treated are just like not having your car's front end aligned. Because the amount of training required to properly evaluate a doctor's advice is almost the same as the amount of training required to properly evaluate the alignment of your car's tires. Because the degree of trust and acceptance in a doctor-patient relationship has the same level of trust and deference as the mechanic-car owner relationship.

I congratulate you on such a sterling analogy. How can I possibly argue against something like that.

I have not once in this thread argued that a person should be expected to act against their will or religious belief. My argument has consistently been that if you are not willing to practice medicine according the the standards of the medical profession, you have the responsibility to not be a doctor in the first place.

Also, I see you're not answering my question. If your doctor converts to being a JW, and you come in with a condition that requires a trnsfusion, should the doctor be allowed to refuse to order one for you?
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell