Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 54
  1. #11
    Senior Member candrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,695
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    10678
    Rep Adjustment Power
    63
    If Corbin is looking for Millsap to be a 40mpg guy then we're in for a long season. He just doesn't have the motor to play heavy minutes, night in and night out. Tonight he missed 3 shots late in the 4th period (two wide open jumpers and a layup) that he usually makes - he was probably a little gassed.

    As far as the rest of the rotations are concerned, he's essentially down to giving any type of real minutes to 7 players isn't he? You'd think the playoffs started already.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Posts
    17,067
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    48516
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by JJAS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What are your criticisms of Corbin, or do you ascribe to the relentlessly positive school?
    --Complete lack of inbounding plays. Then again, he doesn't have a Mailman or AK47 to throw the ball in.
    --What Billyshelby has been saying about Corbin seeing the big picture (run more, shoot 3's, etc.) but not knowing how exactly to implement it. This may very well end up being valid criticism. Before last night, I saw players who weren't meshing and failing to take what the defense gives. They seemed to jell a bit last night though. I'll give the offense until game 25 or so to pass judgement on Corbin. He has definitely improved defensive rotations and the overall mindset this season. Help and help the helpers have been doing pretty damn good jobs on the wings.
    --I'm not beating him up over not subbing in Favors at the end of the NOH game. Some coaches subscribe to two things here-- 1) rotations matter to player confidence, & 2) Stick with the players who are already warm and in the flow of the game.



    Quote Originally Posted by JJAS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We don't have the best players, but you can see you the quality of a coach when he has scrubs/mediocre players on the floor, like Boston did today at times.
    Who? Barbosa and Green? Barbosa has always been able to score in bunches. He's a former 6th man of the year and career 39% 3 point shooter with a great drive. Noone knows who Green is at this point, and that Wilcox guy looked pretty athletic to me.

    Corbin did a pretty decent job covering their main players and forced them to beat him with "scrubs" like Brandon Bass & Barbosa. Bass hit his typical open jumpers at a 50% clip. Big whoop. Meanwhile, Jefferson made Garnet look stupid on one end and Millsap (and Hayward) went right at him on the other. Corbin also coached Jason Terry completely out of the game. Rondo with six points in 25 minutes.

    Quote Originally Posted by JJAS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Their defense was disciplined, and they ran and executed plays even without Rondo in the game.
    The Jazz defense was disciplined last night. 1 point game in crunch time in Boston Garden is very much a success for this team.

    Quote Originally Posted by JJAS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another example is your favorite coach G. Popovich. He makes scrubs look like fantastic players.
    Yeah, and so does every other coach with the luxury of two All Stars who've been playing together forever. Calbert Cheney, ****brain Shandon... Donyel Marshal couldn't shoot worth a damn until Sloan's system turned him into a 50% shooter. Hell, even Scott Padget almost looked like an NBA player under Sloan with S&M.

    Quote Originally Posted by JJAS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Corbin's team looks like it isn't quite sure what the coach is trying to say or what they should do. You might be able to do that with LeBron James on your team. So if you think that Ty is a-okay, then I'll have to disagree. When his team looks disciplined, his rotations crisp and dynamic, and he wins games by superb play calling and substitutions, then I will be the first to laud him to the heavens. Until then, I'll continue to see his mediocrity every game.
    So what the hell is he supposed to do? Kevin O'Connor has stuck him between a rock and a hard place. This is a go-nowhere team playing Al-centric post dominance so Corbin tries implement knew schemes. You think those are going to be crisp and disciplined right out the box, with 3 key new players, and a bunch of young guys who have never really known what minutes they will be getting?

    Until O'Connor makes a few trades we will not be able to evaluate how successful Corbin is in wringing the most out of what he has. There's too much static and way too many unknowns on the offensive side at this point.


    Put some respeck in my paycheck

  4. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,803
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    4480
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who? Barbosa and Green?
    Are both mediocre players, especially this year so far. Why did they have such good games? Tinsley and Barbosa; Foye and Green. You can defend Corbin all you want, but these are the facts, and the Jazz lost.

    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Corbin also coached Jason Terry completely out of the game. Rondo with six points in 25 minutes.
    Corbin did no coaching with Jason Terry. It was Hayward's great D; it was only by chance he started at the SG. What Corbin didn't do is exploit the mismatch on the offensive end just like Rivers did with Barbosa and Green with Tinsley and Foye. Do you really think Corbin had anything to do with Rondo's points??

    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Jazz defense was disciplined last night. 1 point game in crunch time in Boston Garden is very much a success for this team.
    More or less agree here. It looked much better at times.

    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, and so does every other coach with the luxury of two All Stars who've been playing together forever. Calbert Cheney, ****brain Shandon... Donyel Marshal couldn't shoot worth a damn until Sloan's system turned him into a 50% shooter. Hell, even Scott Padget almost looked like an NBA player under Sloan with S&M.
    The fact that Popovich has three great All Stars does not diminish his coaching prowess, and the same goes for Sloan. Corbin is not even on the same planet with these two coaches yet. Examples to follow.

    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So what the hell is he supposed to do?
    Absolutely nothing. He is a player's coach and is soft. I agree with his benching of Burks so far by the way. Great coaches are not afraid to make the difficult calls. Even Rivers sat his starters for a long period of time last night. Popovich never hesitates to sit his All Stars when they play like crap and without energy/discipline. Again my criticisms stay the same. He has his positives: he's a friend to his players (e.g., Foye's chest bump), they have traditionally played hard for him, he gives veterans burn, he has a long tongue.

  5. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,803
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    4480
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37

  6. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,803
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    4480
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,803
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    4480
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37


    Nice close game against the Spurs scrubs!

  8. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    2425
    Rep Adjustment Power
    36
    Guys came off the baseline screens a little better last night. Although my read on guys being "open" on the perimeter was that Doc scouted us, saw nobody could hit an outside shot, and was clogging the hell out of the paint. And once those first flex cuts don't work, we have no idea how we're going to use the second half of the shot clock. There's 2 huge things I just don't understand why we don't see:

    1. When we drop the ball into the block, have fun and freeze the frame. 80% of the time, the other 4 guys are on the other half of the floor bunched together, and nobody is moving.

    2. Nobody ever cuts to the hoop on this team without the ball (except Sap). Al and Sap have more interior passes to one another than they do to the rest of the team combined.

  9. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,128
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    2425
    Rep Adjustment Power
    36
    Fun Fact: We're 21st in assisted baskets. That's not Jazz basketball.

  10. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by JJAS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wading through the sarcasm and quasi-phantasmic signification, I believe I can see your point. I big part of the offensive execution breaks down with Tinsley and Foye in the second unit and Foye in general. Throw in Mo's propensity to be a shooting PG and you have most of our major holes. I never thought that I would consider Jose Calderon, but after watching him against us, I could only imagine how he would work with Favors. The high pick and roll for us is simply to allow the guard to roll apparently. They never make the pass to the roll guy even though we run the play non stop.
    Didnt Mo have basically the same stats as Calderon that game? Not saying Mo didnt dick everything up last night though.

  11. #20
    Senior Member bjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,018
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    2129
    Rep Adjustment Power
    29
    Ok, where is theNBAnerd?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are a community of Utah JazzFanz that are passionate about our team. We celebrate the highs that come with last second heroics and (some of us) cry in defeat. Welcome to our community. Be respectful of others and join in to the conversation...
Join us