Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris-L View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @ franklin. thanks for the advice, sincerely, but we have decided it would just be easier to move.

@ stoked. i have an 8 yo girl, 7 yo boy, 6 yo girl, and 2 yo girl. you got my number, hit me up for a playdate anytime. we are moving over the next few weeks so things will be crazy for a while, but if our kids are close in age we should def make it happen sometime.

@ zulu. BFF league 4evar
    Your 8 and 6 year old would be right in line with mine at 9 and 5. I'll give you a few weeks to get relocated and we can see about heading down for a saturday.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    That really is a bitch but it's not too hard to deal with really. Invest a few Sundays each year going to church and look at it as a neighborhood meet and greet. They'll get to know you and start seeing you as a real person. Pretend interested too. Before you know it your neighbors will be begging their children to befriend yours as a missionary effort.

The best thing about this is there's a good chance they won't want their children going to your house while wanting yours at theirs. While some might get offended by this, I see it as a blessing sending the havok elsewhere. & I really have no problem with someone who doesn't want their children around beer drinking. It doesn't bother me one bit when my neighbors don't want their children inside my house as I really don't want them here either.

I usually like your posts, Frank, but not this one. I have no interest in faking my kids and family to acceptance. I may have read it all wrong and it's also possibly we just disagree, but if I read it right .. I hated it.
    Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    Your 8 and 6 year old would be right in line with mine at 9 and 5. I'll give you a few weeks to get relocated and we can see about heading down for a saturday.
    I have a 9, 5, and 2 as well .. group text.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    I've never understood the whole not letting your member kids play with non-member kids. How does that follow the teachings of Christ?

To me it actually goes against the teachings of Christ.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    I've never understood the whole not letting your member kids play with non-member kids. How does that follow the teachings of Christ?
    +1

And for someone like me, who had nearly only nonLDS friends growing up (in Maryland), it's especially mysterious.
    "Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant." --Matthew 20:25-27

:-)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    I usually like your posts, Frank, but not this one. I have no interest in faking my kids and family to acceptance. I may have read it all wrong and it's also possibly we just disagree, but if I read it right .. I hated it.
    This. Why would you even want your kids to be friends with a kid whose parents are like that?

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    As far as "faking my kids and family" goes, I never said to take them along or not.

The rest--fair enough. You weren't raised LDS so I'd offer different advice to you...advice that isn't anywhere near as relatable. Modify it to occassionally attending the dominant neighborhood function & letting everyone know you're there to befriend neighbors and that's all. Knowing Mormons, a couple are still going to chase after you so beware. IMO, there's no sense in not accepting that we all live within a culture and doing stuff like this if we want our children to blend in with society.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    This. Why would you even want your kids to be friends with a kid whose parents are like that?
    I live in Utah County, home of BYU. It's probably hard for most to relate to the religious dynamic here. My children..every child..needs to be friendly with those around them. Is it really that horrible for me to give a little extra effort to show my community that I'm not a scary evil satan worshipper?

I also would like my children to appreciate and be friends with other children whose parents I don't care for. How are we supposed to change the world for the better with your mentality of boxing off children of those who you see as terrible people?

Put some respeck in my paycheck

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    As far as "faking my kids and family" goes, I never said to take them along or not.

The rest--fair enough. You weren't raised LDS so I'd offer different advice to you...advice that isn't anywhere near as relatable. Modify it to occassionally attending the dominant neighborhood function & letting everyone know you're there to befriend neighbors and that's all. Knowing Mormons, a couple are still going to chase after you so beware. IMO, there's no sense in not accepting that we all live within a culture and doing stuff like this if we want our children to blend in with society.
    Fair enough. I think I get what you're saying. I just hate it that religious folk have gotten so self-absorbed that non-believers have to pretend. Think about that you fellow-believers .. are we doing something wrong??

Drinkin haterade, ridin the hate train through hateville
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Fair enough. I think I get what you're saying. I just hate it that religious folk have gotten so self-absorbed that non-believers have to pretend. Think about that you fellow-believers .. are we doing something wrong??
    I was offering a [personally] convenient fix to something I saw as a terrible situation & a life story I relate to. If you don't condone pretending then cut that part out. Again, it's a very different dynamic here in UTC & I assumed from C-Lol's story something similar. For myself, as a father, I have no problem investing this little bit for the sake of my children. Is that the part you are taking issue with or is it something deeper?

Put some respeck in my paycheck

Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I was offering a [personally] convenient fix to something I saw as a terrible situation & a life story I relate to. If you don't condone pretending then cut that part out. Again, it's a very different dynamic here in UTC & I assumed from C-Lol's story something similar. For myself, as a father, I have no problem investing this little bit for the sake of my children. Is that the part you are taking issue with or is it something deeper?
    Where am I taking exception with anything not outlined in my initial response? I'm on board brotha .....

am I missing something?