Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 357
  1. #321
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How do you know that burks hasn't been fantastic in practice?
    I heard over the summer that no matter who the jazz put in to guard burks, no one could stop him from getting to the rim.... during practice (which is where you supposedly earn minutes right?)
    If he was playing better than Foye, Marv, Gordon, etccccccc he would be playing. Also there is more to basketball than getting to the rim. I dont doubt he can get to the rim, but he cant shoot, guard, not a great passer, cant hit a FT, the list goes on .... but I do believe he can get to the rim.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #322
    Premium Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    43,039
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    94898
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by kennykyle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he was playing better than Foye, Marv, Gordon, etccccccc he would be playing. Also there is more to basketball than getting to the rim. I dont doubt he can get to the rim, but he cant shoot, guard, not a great passer, cant hit a FT, the list goes on .... but I do believe he can get to the rim.
    As far as "cant hit a FT".... 82.5 percent from the line his sophmore year at colorado.... 72.7 his rookie year for the jazz.... he was making his free throws in summer league from what i remember.

    Then this year all of a sudden he sucks.... I see this as a problem. Why is he sucking? He isn't injured, he isn't getting old and slow, the rims, balls, and courts that he is using have not changed.
    So the only thing that i can think of that might be affecting him is that this is the first time in his life that he has been "doghoused".

    I think that sucks, agree to disagree i guess.

  4. #323
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As far as "cant hit a FT".... 82.5 percent from the line his sophmore year at colorado.... 72.7 his rookie year for the jazz.... he was making his free throws in summer league from what i remember.

    Then this year all of a sudden he sucks.... I see this as a problem. Why is he sucking? He isn't injured, he isn't getting old and slow, the rims, balls, and courts that he is using have not changed.
    So the only thing that i can think of that might be affecting him is that this is the first time in his life that he has been "doghoused".

    I think that sucks, agree to disagree i guess.
    He wasn't doghoused in preseason and he only shot 50% .... thats better than 20% i guess

  5. #324
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    963
    Rep Adjustment Power
    30
    here's the thing, fish: alec is good. nobody's questioning that. i think he's a very good player and i hope he's part of a very bright future for the jazz. but this team has 11 or 12 rotation-ready guys. some guys are going to have to take turns, and that means the best way to ensure a role is to be ready whenever you're put in. yes, corbin could just decide burks gets 20 minute a night regardless because he's a recent lottery pick and because he's got a higher ceiling (potentially) than foye or carroll, but you don't create a culture of hard work by just handing things to guys who haven't earned it, or by denying guys an opportunity no matter how hard they work.

    and preseason and summer league just don't matter. they really don't.
    check out the jazzbros.com blog for more on the jazz.

  6. #325
    Senior Member bjunior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,018
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    2129
    Rep Adjustment Power
    29
    Well, at least it's Foye and not Braille who takes minutes from Burks. That's an improvement over last year.

  7. #326
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    4,165
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    1547
    Rep Adjustment Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by bjunior View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, at least it's Foye and not Braille who takes minutes from Burks. That's an improvement over last year.
    Still kind of a waste though considering he is on a one year deal.

  8. #327
    Moderator Revolution 9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Posts
    11,437
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    19445
    Rep Adjustment Power
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by theNBAnerd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    here's the thing, fish: alec is good. nobody's questioning that. i think he's a very good player and i hope he's part of a very bright future for the jazz. but this team has 11 or 12 rotation-ready guys. some guys are going to have to take turns, and that means the best way to ensure a role is to be ready whenever you're put in. yes, corbin could just decide burks gets 20 minute a night regardless because he's a recent lottery pick and because he's got a higher ceiling (potentially) than foye or carroll, but you don't create a culture of hard work by just handing things to guys who haven't earned it, or by denying guys an opportunity no matter how hard they work.

    and preseason and summer league just don't matter. they really don't.
    If the preseason and summer league don't matter then why play them. Why the coaches say they matter?


    "alec is good. nobody's questioning that. i think he's a very good player and i hope he's part of a very bright future for the jazz."

    Then you have to see the importance of developing a player in his second year, and why not giving him any time is detrimental. Giving Foye all the time is Corbins plan, and it will have an impact on Burks. The bottom line is that what we are doing is not good for the future of Burks with the Utah Jazz. If playing Foye is that important to you ok, but that is what is happening here.
    "les grandes défaites forgent les grands hommes" - Rudy Gobert

  9. #328
    The One True Youngblood YB85's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,140
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    14223
    Rep Adjustment Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by theNBAnerd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    here's the thing, fish: alec is good. nobody's questioning that.
    I'll go ahead and be the one who is questioning that. Alec has talent, but is he good? That remains to be seen. I know that Alec is the darling of the board and everyone, including myself, badly wants him to be be a star. But until Alec learns the nuances of the game, such as passing and shot selection, he's always going to be a questionable player. He should be looking at Carroll and understanding that busting his ass and taking the shot only when it is presented are what will get him floor time. Instead, he pouts when a shot doesn't go in and then forces the next shot. I hope he figures it out soon and becomes a quality player, but if he doesn't, just count him as another guard the Jazz took a gamble on that didn't pan out and move on to the next player.

  10. #329
    Senior Member Eenie-Meenie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,138
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    3920
    Rep Adjustment Power
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by theNBAnerd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    here's the thing, fish: alec is good. nobody's questioning that. i think he's a very good player and i hope he's part of a very bright future for the jazz. but this team has 11 or 12 rotation-ready guys. some guys are going to have to take turns, and that means the best way to ensure a role is to be ready whenever you're put in. yes, corbin could just decide burks gets 20 minute a night regardless because he's a recent lottery pick and because he's got a higher ceiling (potentially) than foye or carroll, but you don't create a culture of hard work by just handing things to guys who haven't earned it, or by denying guys an opportunity no matter how hard they work.

    and preseason and summer league just don't matter. they really don't.
    Nerd, if he is good, as you say, then I don't buy your logic. He hasn't been given a chance this year. Foye absolutely sucks in my opinion. Sure he can shoot but he doesn't deserve minutes based on the rest of his play because just as he makes a three, he gives up four on the other end, or when he's not shooting commits a turnover. Burks is young, he needs playing time and based on his play last he showed to me that he's worth giving time to develop. I see a lot of other guys doing do-do for more than 7 minutes at a time. Just watch our third quarter against Houston. By your standard, the starters should not suit up next game.

  11. #330
    Senior Member Brown Notes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,367
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    1333
    Rep Adjustment Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by YB85 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll go ahead and be the one who is questioning that. Alec has talent, but is he good? That remains to be seen. I know that Alec is the darling of the board and everyone, including myself, badly wants him to be be a star. But until Alec learns the nuances of the game, such as passing and shot selection, he's always going to be a questionable player. He should be looking at Carroll and understanding that busting his ass and taking the shot only when it is presented are what will get him floor time. Instead, he pouts when a shot doesn't go in and then forces the next shot. I hope he figures it out soon and becomes a quality player, but if he doesn't, just count him as another guard the Jazz took a gamble on that didn't pan out and move on to the next player.
    Even if he doesn't work out for Utah you have to be happy with 2 of 4 young lottery players here, and Kanter at the very least clearly is no stranger to dedication. If the Jazz go 3/4 on the young guys we are looking really good.
    "I'm a moron for thinking the Browns could even sniff 10 wins in a division where the other three teams (two of whom almost always make the playoffs) made the post-season last year. Gyp Rosetti's thee God of football knowledge." - Brown Notes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are a community of Utah JazzFanz that are passionate about our team. We celebrate the highs that come with last second heroics and (some of us) cry in defeat. Welcome to our community. Be respectful of others and join in to the conversation...
Join us