Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp Rosetti View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jesus, you're short-sighted. Let me tell you something. If Pops kept his starters out there for 35 minutes a night for their careers like many teams do, these guys may have already retired, and the Spurs as a whole would be much, much ****tier, thus making their value and worth to the NBA much, much less.

But besides that point, any fans who expect anything are douches. It's not their team. They don't look out for the best interests of the players and therefore of the team like Pops does. But maybe he should just listen to Salty, play them 35 minutes a night for the fans, let them get injured in the process, and be one and done in the playoffs, thus ****ing the fans infinitely more pissed off. Or should they just play through injuries too for the fans? Ya know, because they paid some money.

Get over it. We're entitled to nothing. **** happens. Injuries. Births. Deaths in the family. Guys miss games and this is an anomaly, not a trend.
    Maybe he should just sit them all season and only put them out on the floor for the playoffs. Maybe every team should start doing this. Careers would be lengthened, and injuries to star players would be reduced.

Or, maybe the Spurs could just do what everyone else does and give 100% every game. When players get old or get hurt you find replacements. This is part of the game.

Hopefully Stern teaches them that integrity is required. If they're too old to go a full season then maybe it's time to call it a career.

If the Spurs players were already retired from playing too many minutes, some other players/team would have already taken their place. It's the league's version of natural selection.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I absolutely agree with Pop's decision. He has an older team, and he shouldn't risk killing them for one game. Also, where was Stern's high and mightiness during Golden State's tankapalooza last year? At least the Spurs are being honest about not playing their stars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    For the people that are upset with this decision,

I am curious. Are you as equally upset when NFL teams rest their starters after clinching the playoffs? I consider this an equal analogy because there are so many playoff spots in the NBA and the Spurs are clearly on pace to get to the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I thought nobody liked watching the Spurs because they were "boring"

Won't this make them less boring or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyPriest View Post
    I absolutely agree with Pop's decision. He has an older team, and he shouldn't risk killing them for one game. Also, where was Stern's high and mightiness during Golden State's tankapalooza last year? At least the Spurs are being honest about not playing their stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyPriest View Post
    For the people that are upset with this decision,

I am curious. Are you as equally upset when NFL teams rest their starters after clinching the playoffs? I consider this an equal analogy because there are so many playoff spots in the NBA and the Spurs are clearly on pace to get to the playoffs.
    What Golden State did last season absolutely warranted punishment. It not only warranted severe punishment, but it should have lead to rules changes in how the lottery works. Maybe make lottery position outside of the top 3 less of a guarantee. Like the way it used to be.

I also think it cheats the fans when NFL teams tank games. It's more understandable for an NFL team though, because there are so many more injuries in an NFL game.

To be clear, NBA teams also rest stars after a playoff spot is clinched. This was not one of those situations. The Spurs just decided to tank a game. Their playoff seeding is absolutely not clinched at this early point in the season.

If the playoffs started next week and the Spurs were locked into their playoff seed, I'd have much less of a problem with this. But as it stands right now, the Spurs just tanked a meaningful regular season game.

The integrity of the game shouldn't only be important in the playoffs.

If Pete Rose got banned from baseball for life for betting on his own team, it shouldn't be okay for the Spurs to be openly tanking meaningful regular season games.

I realize they (and other teams) have done this before, but that doesn't make it right. It should have been punished all those other times too.

Remember when the league told Malone he'd be punished if he skipped the all star game? Now it's okay for teams to openly tank pretty big regular season games?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg View Post
    I'm not a fan of any of those teams and didn't buy a ticket. And you probably shouldn't care even if I did.

The NBA, however, should absolutely care if fans are spending ridiculous amounts of money and then only receiving a partial product.
    Should the NBA do more (i.e something more than the Darft Lottery) to stop teams tanking, then - since tanking is also deliberately putting out a sub-standard product? Especially when some teams start tanking on Opening Night (see: last season's Bobcats)? Shouldn't they do more to protect season-ticket holders from being served 41 games of garbage?

In this case, all Heat fans paid a premium to see a "top-tier" team and didn't get what they paid for, so I agree with you that the fans got stiffed, but the fact there are "top-tier" and "lower-tier" teams in the first place is the bigger issue. Of course, if there was a CBA in place that allowed teams to build and/or retain competitive rosters regardless of which home market they played in, and which reduced the gap between the "have multiple All-Star" and "have no All-Stars" teams, there might not be this issue, but Stern has already whiffed on fixing that. Instead we have the same disparity between franchises that we had before the lockout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Pops is just exploiting gaps of the playoff system, his team is good and old enough to make a desicion like that. And that's why he is getting paid right, to make desicions on behalf and favor of his team.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    https://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8...-vs-miami-heat

Stern is not happy. Even made an apology before the game.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Pops has now reached Phil Jackson level in my book. Respect their accomplishments, but their behavior becomes shameful. They think they are above the system, and treat reporters and fans with disdain. I’m going to go ahead and list him right next to Phil, and Orrin Hatch.

With success comes power, and with power comes the opportunity to become brain-dead. Very few can wield power for long without succumbing to its taints.
    Virtue lies in the struggle, not in the prize.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I can't believe that anybody would side with San Antonio/Pop on this one. It must be horrible for the millionaires on his team to have a 6 and 10 day road trip in 1 month. Nevermind the millions of Americans who work 40+ hour work weeks for far less money. If his team is too old to give NBA ticket payers their money's worth, maybe they need to make some changes to their roster.

I'm not fan of Stern, but I hope he puts the screws to them.