Page 8 of 157 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 1566

Thread: Gun Control

  1. #71
    Senior Member The Thriller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    On the Booz Cruise
    Posts
    12,206
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    14386
    Rep Adjustment Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Thriller's a packer.
    Absolutely.

    And you'd know me best, right?
    Get Educated

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #72
    Premium Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    43,116
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    94945
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Seems like we have already tried the "more guns" approach. (there are more guns in this country than ever before) That doesn't seem to be working.

    We have already tried the "figure out and help mental health issues" approach. (There are more people on paxil, prozac, zanex, etc etc, and also more people seeing psychiatrists/counselors than ever before).

    So maybe we should try the "less guns approach". Maybe it wouldn't work but its worth a try.

    I wonder if it was a proven fact and guarantee that getting rid of guns would save lots of lives, if gun owners would even be willing to give them up.... it seems like most gun owners love thier guns so much that even if they knew losing thier guns would save lives, they still would choose to hold on to them.

  4. #73
    bordelais7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,480
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    7948
    Rep Adjustment Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp Rosetti View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again, not a very strong example.
    It wasn't meant as much to be the strongest example as I could find as it was to make Thriller look like the moron that he is. 20 years ago, most states wouldn't have allowed the guy to carry.

    And I think you are being far too confident in the ability to use testing, training, and examinations to determine whether people would be safe or unsafe gun carriers. If you think mental exams would have stopped any of the school shooters from owning, I'll bet you're wrong -- most of these people are quite mentally sound. On the other side of the coin, many cops have frozen or acted unpredictably when situations arose, despite extensive training. The lines between "professional" and "joe schmoe" aren't as clear as you're making them out to be.

    As far the off-duty officer in this example, he later served 90 days for failing to control his "gun" with two separate minors, and resigned amid harassment claims from others at work as well as "use of excessive force" in on-duty situations. So if "makes good decisions" or "uses good judgment" or "exhibits control" or "doesn't lose temper" or "good guy" is among your criteria for ownership or carrying, he probably should have been eliminated.

    As for other "strong" examples, use the internets. There are plenty. They don't get as much pub or don't stick in your memory as much because generally dozens of people don't die. It's impossible to know what would have happened at Trolley Square had Hammond not been there, but reports indicate between a minute and 1:15 between the time he got involved and the time help arrived. Not too hard to imagine what an armed man in a crowded mall could do in that time.
    ^^^this

  5. #74
    Premium Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    43,116
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    94945
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Also, off topic: Anyone know why i can no longer put spaces between my sentences/paragraphs? Like when i hit enter a few times to make a gap between paragraphs then i post the reply, everything is bunched together.

  6. #75
    bordelais7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,480
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    7948
    Rep Adjustment Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So maybe we should try the "less guns approach". Maybe it wouldn't work but its worth a try.
    We could call it "the War on Guns".
    ^^^this

  7. #76
    Premium Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    43,116
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    94945
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by bordelais7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We could call it "the War on Guns".
    Lol... good point.
    That sentence alone pretty much destroys my "less guns arguement".
    Seems that we are all just ****ed.

  8. #77
    Senior Member vegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,417
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    2469
    Rep Adjustment Power
    35
    A few thoughts:
    1. What an awful tragedy. I am just numb. I think my mind is in protection mode because I cant even begin to fathom the pain of the victims or those close to them.
    2. The guy used his mothers guns.
    3. Gun rights date back to the founding of our country and it is ammendment #2. #1 covers religeon, press and speech. I think it is interesting to note what their thought process was.

    deterring tyrannical government;
    repelling invasion;
    suppressing insurrection;
    facilitating a natural right of self-defense;
    participating in law enforcement;
    enabling the people to organize a militia system.

    Blackstone in his Commentaries alluded to this right to rebel as the natural right of resistance and self preservation, to be used only as a last resort, exercisable when "the sanctions of society and laws are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression".

    The above is info from this wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second...s_Constitution
    I am not a scholar on the subject and would welcome additional insight others have to offer.

    I also think the article in the link that Duck posted was especially interesting because Harvard is an institution that I would expect to be pro gun control.

    For me the second amendment is much deeper than recreation or even the day to day crime and street battles. It is related to freedom from oppression. I hope it is rarely needed for that purpose, but I would never do away with it if it gives a chance to preserve freedom. I understand that position comes at a very grim price at times. I stand with those that framed the amendment as the last hope we have when all else has failed in ending oppression.

    My interpretation of history is that power and freedom are continuously challenged. I think that it's hard to imagine that it could be challenged in the US. I hope it never is, but history says someday it will. If that happens again, I hope that the right to bear arms is still around and once again by some miracle the citizens of the United States can somehow defeat an oppressive ruler(s) and their much better equipped military.
    Chop it!!!

  9. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14,601
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    7696
    Rep Adjustment Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by bordelais7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We could call it "the War on Guns".
    or prohibtion
    01-21-2013
    I, HeavenHarris, hereby pledge to my fellow JFC'rs that I will no longer give out neg-reps. All it does is cause negative things, like fights, drama, bitching, ill will, bad feelings, etc.
    Love, not hate, is the answer bros and moes.

    LOL Lol breaks his pledge 5 days later hahahaha

  10. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    14,601
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    7696
    Rep Adjustment Power
    55
    speaking of prohibition
    how many people die due to school shooting related deaths a year? a 100? 200? a 1000?
    heck not even a 100 a year.

    yet the alcohol related traffic deaths are around 10.000 a year.

    so yeah **** gun control
    01-21-2013
    I, HeavenHarris, hereby pledge to my fellow JFC'rs that I will no longer give out neg-reps. All it does is cause negative things, like fights, drama, bitching, ill will, bad feelings, etc.
    Love, not hate, is the answer bros and moes.

    LOL Lol breaks his pledge 5 days later hahahaha

  11. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    In a ghetto near you. . . .
    Posts
    9,050
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    21067
    Rep Adjustment Power
    97
    C'mon Dutch. This is America.

    It's more often the willing statist ideologues/ zombies who are the drunks, and the shooters. But they won't admit it, and if you study their rhetoric they are trying to exorcise the demons of their own accidental mental evolutionary soup by regulating others. It's the night of the living empty heads chanting "there ought ta be a law". . . . .

    after all, without top-down governance, what can you expect of people with absolute disbelief in personal self-regulation? With absolute contempt for other humans who might do things out of the ordinary fashion. . . ?

    I wouldn't support legislation providing for police protection in the indoctrination camps, even if you call them schools with armed "teachers",and put mere children in them. Probably can't expect the kids to carry their own "final solution" personal protection equipment, though. I say close the camps and end the tax supported education and just replace it with private education. Private owners of schools where the parents voluntarily enroll their kids would make damn sure nobody got into the campus armed like the crazies do in the public schools. The reason? You can't sue the government for negligence, but you damn sure can sue the private educators.
    Last edited by babe; 12-15-2012 at 11:35 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are a community of Utah JazzFanz that are passionate about our team. We celebrate the highs that come with last second heroics and (some of us) cry in defeat. Welcome to our community. Be respectful of others and join in to the conversation...
Join us