Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sandy Utah
    Posts
    1,441
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    1132
    Rep Adjustment Power
    30

    True PG becoming extinct?

    Seems like there are very few John Stockton type PGs in the league right now and very few if any coming out of college in the next few years.
    What is the future for the true PG position?
    Should Jazz try to get one at any cost?

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Crocodile Dante's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    8,205
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    13956
    Rep Adjustment Power
    74
    Even when Stockton was in the league there were very few Stocktons. Chris Paul is probably the closest we see of a player like Stockton. When Stockton came out of college no one knew who he was.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,803
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    4480
    Rep Adjustment Power
    37
    Here's a list of players that have had 10 or more assists in a season. Only 77 ever.

    https://www.basketball-reference.com...r_by=ast_per_g

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    It's not just PGs. Multi-skilled players overall are becoming more important. Look at the frontline spots as well. More and more teams are moving away from big lugs who's greatest (and sometimes only) strength was being big and taking up space and moving towards more skilled players. Guys like Chris Bosh are playing center, guys like Carmelo Anthony are playing Power Forward. etc. Being a "True" PG is almost an insult nowadays imo, meaning you CAN'T score.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Thee jazz fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    13318
    Rep Adjustment Power
    72
    [QUOTE=slc;452746]Seems like there are very few John Stockton type PGs in the league right now and very few if any coming out of college in the next few years.
    What is the future for the true PG position?
    Should Jazz try to get one at any cost?[/QUOTE]

    not at any cost, but they should definitely focus on that. Sheved (or however you spell his name) should be someone the jazz should look into as well as Vasquez. They are atop my list of the best young pg's in the league.

  7. #6
    Senior Member Chad Feldheimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Valley Of The Sun
    Posts
    4,262
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    4264
    Rep Adjustment Power
    41
    How do you define true point guard? Pass first?

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    jose calderon is a true pg. ive been proposing to trade for him forever here but people dont really like it. truth = people dont want true pgs, they want pgs with talent, if that just so happens to be a talented 'true' pg, so be it.

  9. #8
    Senior Member NUMBERICA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    15,443
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    21127
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Real PGs need to continue to exist. There should be one guy on the floor at all times whose first job is to setup his teammates. Bob Cousy knew what he was doing.
    "Adversity is opportunity in disguise."

  10. #9
    In pursuit of #9 Dr. Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    61,956
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    96720
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by NUMBERICA View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Real PGs need to continue to exist. There should be one guy on the floor at all times whose first job is to setup his teammates. Bob Cousy knew what he was doing.
    I agree completely. It shouldn't be that much different than a quarterback. It obviously is different, but it shouldn't be considered an optional position on the court.
    Fortune and glory, kid. Fortune and glory.

  11. #10
    Senior Member UGLI baby's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    гег
    Posts
    33,145
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    52854
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Help us Obi Wan Kabongo...

    You're our only hope.
    Make jazzfanz UGLI Again

  12. #11
    Premium Member zbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Realtor hell
    Posts
    1,356
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    1600
    Rep Adjustment Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Thee jazz fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    not at any cost, but they should definitely focus on that. Sheved (or however you spell his name) should be someone the jazz should look into as well as Vasquez. They are atop my list of the best young pg's in the league.
    Wait for scouting report on Shved to get out there and he will become yet another unimpressive chucker.

  13. #12
    Senior Member Saint Cy of JFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    68,885
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    57957
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Help us Obi Wan Kabongo...

    You're our only hope.
    King Kabongo



    NOT RACIST.
    Shovel your way out of the s***

  14. #13
    Senior Member Thee jazz fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    16,010
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    13318
    Rep Adjustment Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHarris View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    jose calderon is a true pg. ive been proposing to trade for him forever here but people dont really like it. truth = people dont want true pgs, they want pgs with talent, if that just so happens to be a talented 'true' pg, so be it.
    I actualy like him a lot, but he's a little older and only a short term fix. If I had to choose between him and And Mo I'd go with Calderon. Most on here want the pg of the future, and that's not Calderon.
    Quote Originally Posted by zbone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wait for scouting report on Shved to get out there and he will become yet another unimpressive chucker.
    can't you say that about any young pg though.

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Pearl of the Orient Seas
    Posts
    352
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    80
    Rep Adjustment Power
    27
    Scott Machado?

  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,770
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    5136
    Rep Adjustment Power
    44

    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by JJAS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's a list of players that have had 10 or more assists in a season. Only 77 ever.
    And only 30 different players

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are a community of Utah JazzFanz that are passionate about our team. We celebrate the highs that come with last second heroics and (some of us) cry in defeat. Welcome to our community. Be respectful of others and join in to the conversation...
Join us