Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 88
  1. #61
    Senior Member Jazz4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,415
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    7377
    Rep Adjustment Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Al is a worse man defender though, the only way to make up for it is by being a better help and/or transition defender. Do you think Al is a better help/transition defender than Millsap?
    GVC:
    I consider them about equal man defenders, maybe a slight edge to Al. His size and instincts on centers are pretty good. For instance Deandre Jordan tried several post moves on Al a few nights ago and think it was either a turnover or a strip every time. I can't remember any centers ever "going off" on Al. Millsap is a significantly better help defender and in transition.

    To Nerd:
    I never said Al didn't "suck" on defense, don't twist what I said. Just your metric will be wrong as often as it is right. I gave you a clear example of how it could be wrong on nearly every play in the Jazz system and could give many more if you need further convincing.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    963
    Rep Adjustment Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GVC:
    I consider them about equal man defenders, maybe a slight edge to Al. His size and instincts on centers are pretty good. For instance Deandre Jordan tried several post moves on Al a few nights ago and think it was either a turnover or a strip every time. I can't remember any centers ever "going off" on Al. Millsap is a significantly better help defender and in transition.
    To Nerd:
    I never said Al didn't "suck" on defense, don't twist what I said. Just your metric will be wrong as often as it is right. I gave you a clear example of how it could be wrong on nearly every play in the Jazz system and could give many more if you need further convincing.
    if i was trying to compare al to joakim noah or someone on another team, that would make total sense. but i'm comparing him to 3 guys who have the same role in the same system. if it's the system's fault that al doesn't get back to close out on a spot-up shooter, then why don't paul, derrick and enes have similarly sucky numbers? if it's the system's fault that al can't guard an iso worth a damn, why doesn't the system similarly drag those guys' synergy numbers down?

    paul, enes and derrick play in the same defensive schemes al plays in, yet they manage 9-13 points better per 100 defensive possessions. how does that one jive with your "synergy doesn't understand team defensive systems so the numbers aren't valid" argument?

    (also, if synergy didn't provide a lot of quantitatively valuable data, it wouldn't be widely used by teams and scouts... you just have to know how and when to supplement the quantitative with the qualitative... as with any stat.)
    check out the jazzbros.com blog for more on the jazz.

  4. #63
    Senior Member Jazz4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,415
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    7377
    Rep Adjustment Power
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by theNBAnerd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if i was trying to compare al to joakim noah or someone on another team, that would make total sense. but i'm comparing him to 3 guys who have the same role in the same system. if it's the system's fault that al doesn't get back to close out on a spot-up shooter, then why don't paul, derrick and enes have similarly sucky numbers? if it's the system's fault that al can't guard an iso worth a damn, why doesn't the system similarly drag those guys' synergy numbers down?

    paul, enes and derrick play in the same defensive schemes al plays in, yet they manage 9-13 points better per 100 defensive possessions. how does that one jive with your "synergy doesn't understand team defensive systems so the numbers aren't valid" argument?

    (also, if synergy didn't provide a lot of quantitatively valuable data, it wouldn't be widely used by teams and scouts... you just have to know how and when to supplement the quantitative with the qualitative... as with any stat.)
    Limiting it to one team certainly helps its reliability. I remember it had Al rated quite high in areas last year though, particularly in isos. Again not to say he is a good defender, just that it is more random than right, because Al is the same player he was last year.

  5. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    9,590
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    11039
    Rep Adjustment Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by theNBAnerd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    paul, enes and derrick play in the same defensive schemes al plays in, yet they manage 9-13 points better per 100 defensive possessions.
    They don't defend the same people. Jefferson defends the opponents best post man, in the games I have seen.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  6. #65
    Premium Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    43,078
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    94898
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't defend the same people. Jefferson defends the opponents best post man, in the games I have seen.
    So whats your point?
    Sometimes jefferson guards the best big for the other team, sometimes its millsap.
    Against a team like G.S. jefferson guard festus ezili, and millsap guards david lee. L.A clips jefferson guards jordan and millsap griffin.
    Over a large span of games it should even out somewhat.

  7. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by One Brow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They don't defend the same people. Jefferson defends the opponents best post man, in the games I have seen.
    Seems like they put Paul on the worst player for the most part, Marvin takes the best best wing and Al takes the bes big. So Synergy isn't completely reflective of what is happening. Al is terrible in P & R though, but I believe that is more because of his physical limitations. Paul gets killed in the post fairly often. So they both suck at some things and are ok at others.

  8. #67
    Premium Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    43,078
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    94898
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartsock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems like they put Paul on the worst player for the most part, Marvin takes the best best wing and Al takes the bes big. So Synergy isn't completely reflective of what is happening. Al is terrible in P & R though, but I believe that is more because of his physical limitations. Paul gets killed in the post fairly often. So they both suck at some things and are ok at others.

    They dont put paul on the worst player.... they put him on the other teams power forward and jefferson on the center.
    Millsap has to guard kevin love, ibaka, griffin, lee, aldrige, thompson, dirk, paul gasol, zach randolph etc etc etc.
    It has nothing to do with who is the "better big" on the opposing team.... Millsap almost always guards the 4 and jeffy guards the 5

  9. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They dont put paul on the worst player.... they put him on the other teams power forward and jefferson on the center.
    Millsap has to guard kevin love, ibaka, griffin, lee, aldrige, thompson, dirk, paul gasol, zach randolph etc etc etc.
    It has nothing to do with who is the "better big" on the opposing team.... Millsap almost always guards the 4 and jeffy guards the 5
    If the player Millsap is on is of any worth they put in Favors for extended minutes. Just saying.

  10. #69
    Premium Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    43,078
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    94898
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartsock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If the player Millsap is on is of any worth they put in Favors for extended minutes. Just saying.
    Favors has averaged 20 minutes per game for the last 2 years.

    Besides favors was not a part of the arguement.... we were discussing millsaps defense vs jeffersons defense. You said matchups for paul and AL are determined by the other teams "worst" player.... i was simply saying that is not the case. Corbin would never be creative enough to determine defensive assignments by matchups.... He just goes with postition guarding the same position on the other team for the most part. (with the exceptions being hayward on cp3, or carroll on a smaller player at times)

  11. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Favors has averaged 20 minutes per game for the last 2 years.

    Besides favors was not a part of the arguement.... we were discussing millsaps defense vs jeffersons defense. You said matchups for paul and AL are determined by the other teams "worst" player.... i was simply saying that is not the case. Corbin would never be creative enough to determine defensive assignments by matchups.... He just goes with postition guarding the same position on the other team for the most part. (with the exceptions being hayward on cp3, or carroll on a smaller player at times)
    He only guards position on position, except when he doesnt.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are a community of Utah JazzFanz that are passionate about our team. We celebrate the highs that come with last second heroics and (some of us) cry in defeat. Welcome to our community. Be respectful of others and join in to the conversation...
Join us