Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 88
  1. #71
    Premium Member fishonjazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    K-TOWN
    Posts
    43,116
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    94945
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartsock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He only guards position on position, except when he doesnt.
    I said "for the most part".

    Anyway, its ok if you just admit that you were wrong (if you are even able to do that) about your statement that millsap guards the other teams worst player.

    Griffin, aldridge, randolph, lee, ibaka, dirk, david west, josh smith, kevin love, pau gasol...... these are not what i would call the "worst" players on thier teams.

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #72
    Senior Member GVC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I'm jus' one dem guys...come, scrap, blue collar, junkyard dog
    Posts
    7,278
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    16522
    Rep Adjustment Power
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyway, its ok if you just admit that you were wrong (if you are even able to do that) about your statement that millsap guards the other teams worst player.

    Griffin, aldridge, randolph, lee, ibaka, dirk, david west, josh smith, kevin love, pau gasol...... these are not what i would call the "worst" players on thier teams.
    Hartsock's on a mission to prove once and for all that he's an ignorant ****. Good for him, I say.

    The only time this season Millsap's defended the opposing 5 (IIRC) was against Toronto, when Al was out. Otherwise, he guards opposing 4s, who tend to be better offensive players than 5s (like others in this thread, I will not actually try to support this statement).
    http://jazzfanz.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=133&dateline=1317382587

  4. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,383
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    11729
    Rep Adjustment Power
    68
    LOL @ Jefferson defenders. It is pure comedy reading your responses. Thank you KOC's mom and Corbin's mom. Pure gold.

  5. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Metro East, St. Louis
    Posts
    9,590
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    11039
    Rep Adjustment Power
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So whats your point?
    Sometimes jefferson guards the best big for the other team, sometimes its millsap.
    Against a team like G.S. jefferson guard festus ezili, and millsap guards david lee. L.A clips jefferson guards jordan and millsap griffin.
    Over a large span of games it should even out somewhat.
    I admit to not having seen either play a large number of minutes, but my recollections of Lee and Griffin is that you will find them further from the basket than Ezili and Jordan. When I said best post player, I meant the player which the team uses in the low post. If we usually saw Griffin on a low block and Jordan at the top of the key, I believe you'd see Jefferson guarding Griffin.
    http://lifetheuniverseandonebrow.blogspot.com/

    Isaiah 1:18 -- Come now, and let us reason together

    Any habitual action, such as eating or dressing, may be performed on the appropriate occasion, without any need of thought, and the same seems to be true of a painfully large proportion of our talk. -- Bertrand Russell

  6. #75
    Senior Member Brown Notes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,367
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    1333
    Rep Adjustment Power
    28
    I like Al but it's silly to say Sap is worse defensively. Paul and Marvin are the only guys with size who can get out in space and defend.
    "I'm a moron for thinking the Browns could even sniff 10 wins in a division where the other three teams (two of whom almost always make the playoffs) made the post-season last year. Gyp Rosetti's thee God of football knowledge." - Brown Notes

  7. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GVC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hartsock's on a mission to prove once and for all that he's an ignorant ****. Good for him, I say.

    The only time this season Millsap's defended the opposing 5 (IIRC) was against Toronto, when Al was out. Otherwise, he guards opposing 4s, who tend to be better offensive players than 5s (like others in this thread, I will not actually try to support this statement).
    Al is not a very good defender, neither is Paul. I'll leave it at that.

  8. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    1340
    Rep Adjustment Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown Notes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like Al but it's silly to say Sap is worse defensively. Paul and Marvin are the only guys with size who can get out in space and defend.
    It is a difference without a distinction: both Sap and Al are bad defenders. It does not matter if one is a teeny bit worse than the other one. Especially when their backups are clearly much better defenders.

  9. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zman1527 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is a difference without a distinction: both Sap and Al are bad defenders. It does not matter if one is a teeny bit worse than the other one. Especially when their backups are clearly much better defenders.
    This is the fact of the matter

  10. #79
    Senior Member Zulu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The STG
    Posts
    10,260
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    28755
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    I really like Milsap.....



    But I'm at the point where I'm ready to move on!!

  11. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,705
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    963
    Rep Adjustment Power
    31
    anybody who thinks al takes the opposing team's best big needs to watch more closely. al guards deandre jordan while millsap guards blake griffin. al guards joel anthony while paul guards lebron. the only recent game i can think of where they switched it up a little was the spurs game where they wanted to give TD different looks so all 4 bigs had their turn on him.

    besides that, we're talking about 220-270 plays where each guy was labeled the primary defender... so we're working in a sample size here that evens out the anomalies and is pretty valid and fair at making a comparison. paul sends his man to line less often (3.7% of the time versus 8.5%), forces slightly more turnovers (8.9% to 7.6%), holds his man to a lower FG% in almost every defensive category (except the post, where al has him by a few percentage points), and overall just defends better on the ball (.81 PPP to .91 PPP).

    sorry if those numbers don't jive with people's opinions so you'd rather ignore them and keep believing what you want to believe... but nothing i just said is anything less than factual.
    check out the jazzbros.com blog for more on the jazz.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are a community of Utah JazzFanz that are passionate about our team. We celebrate the highs that come with last second heroics and (some of us) cry in defeat. Welcome to our community. Be respectful of others and join in to the conversation...
Join us