Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Monson is now reporting this as a done deal.

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougar...nsive.html.csp

Monson: Robert Anae gets a strange mulligan at BYU

The facts that BYU’s offense was an embarrassment this past season and that Bronco Mendenhall doesn’t have a brain for offensive football led to Friday’s curious news that Robert Anae will be returning as the Cougars’ offensive coordinator.

Another factor: BYU must have had few options, unable to find and lure another offensive-minded coach, in the Cougar tradition, to come to Provo to rescue the phase of the game that boosted the program’s profile under LaVell Edwards.

Instead, the school lurched back for a retread, a coordinator who exited BYU at the end of 2010, after a season during which Anae stacked and lit the offense into a burning heap. Seared into memory is the way the attack that year stumbled through the Cougars’ first seven games, against more challenging opponents, when the team fell to 2-5, and the offense at that time spiraled downward to the bottom of national rankings in total offense, scoring offense, passing offense and passing efficiency.

Remember, Anae had been a proponent and defender of BYU’s ill-advised move to use two quarterbacks early that season, ineffectively splitting time between Riley Nelson and Jake Heaps. He spun the foolishness of that decision straight to the end, wholly missing the error in judgment, saying it was "the exact course to take."

He also said: "There’s bound to be a bunch of second-guessing when you’re not successful. But there’s no doubt in my mind that we did the right thing for our team."

His certainty was flat-out odd. Even Mendenhall disagreed, admitting that splitting time was a mistake.

Anae also struggled with his play-calling, sometimes concocting detailed plans for an upcoming opponent and then switching his emphasis at the last moment before a game. Other assistants on staff, as well as players, were frustrated and baffled by some of the coordinator’s decisions. One knowledgeable assistant, asked after a loss about Anae’s play-calling in critical situations, quietly shook his head in disapproval.

Seasoned offensive leaders, such as John Beck and Max Hall, had the gravitas to intercede and alter some of Anae’s spontaneous ideas and, under those QBs, BYU’s offense flourished. But later, players who lacked that experience, heft and confidence suffered from them. The records the Cougars put up over the first few years with Anae were impressive. But when those veterans graduated, the success, especially against tougher teams, dried up.

Equally problematic, Anae had a manner that was difficult for some in the program to handle. Many players disliked him. He had the charisma of a pile of bricks, the bearing of a glacial drift. He inspired his underlings with the heavy drag of a rack of blades turning soil hitched behind a plow horse. He was solemn and stubborn, not inspiring, and … let’s just say communication skills weren’t his strength.

Now, he’s back. Anybody in Provo thrilled with that? If they are, it’s an indictment on and a desperate declaration regarding how stupid things got under Brandon Doman.

Anae, who played on BYU’s 1984 national championship team and was hired initially alongside Mendenhall by athletic director Tom Holmoe at the end of 2004, spent the past couple of seasons at Arizona as the offensive line coach. Maybe during that time he thought through and learned from some of his mistakes in Provo the first time around. Maybe he rounded out his game. He’s an intelligent man, a good man. But can he effectively and consistently coordinate an offense? Can he inspire players to be better than they would be otherwise? Can he beat the better teams the Cougars will face in the seasons ahead, the way great BYU offensive minds of the past used to do?

Back in 2005, at the start of his first fall camp as OC at BYU, Anae said he looked forward to regenerating the Cougars’ old ways: "This new offense that we’re running right now originated here on this campus. It was LaVell’s. I’m excited to have the chance to bring this thing back to where it belongs - its home."

Well. Welcome to Robert Anae’s return. Look for him to have a firm grip on that offense, be it for the positive or the negative, separate and apart from Mendenhall, who has repeated over and over that he doesn’t get offensive football, certainly not the way forward-thinking coaches did back in the old days.

The Cougars had best hope Anae does. And that the mulligan he’s been given turns out better than his first shank into the tall grass.
    "Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant." --Matthew 20:25-27

:-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzman12 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    C'mon guys, if BYU can do an about face after only 2 years and bring Anae back after 2 seasons, they can also rejoin a Mountain West Conference that now boasts Boise State as a long term member, not to mention natural rivals Utah State and Hawaii.

As a Ute fan, I'm troubled by this hiring. Anae was by no means perfect, but playing his offenses were much more problematic than facing Doman's offenses. Hartsock said Doman may have been hampered by lack of QB talent. Say what you want about Heaps' maturity and level of committment, but Doman was handed the top rated QB recruit in the nation and didn't handle him very well. I think there's plenty of blame to give both sides on that one.
    Heaps was handled god awful terribly. Thats just a fact, he was coddled, given special treatment, and didnt perform. His teammates ended up resenting him for it. If he would have redshirted and worked hard like everyone else there isnt a doubt in my mind he would have been a pretty good QB. Doman also had terrible QB's, a terrible O line, and average RB's until williams came along and showed some life.

I think Anae is a good coach and I'm not that upset about him coming back, but I think Doman, who has his faults, is kind of a scapegoat.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Hartsock View Post
    I think Anae is a good coach and I'm not that upset about him coming back, but I think Doman, who has his faults, is kind of a scapegoat.
    On the radio this morning they brought up a good point. What if Bronco told Doman that Riley was the QB, no questions asked? If Doman wanted someone else (Hill) but wasn't allowed to play him until Riley practically couldn't walk, someone else really is to blame. It's no secret that Bronco had a huge woody for Riley.
    ​Gobert or go home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I predict fewer conference wins.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Feldheimer View Post
    How do you get fewer than zero?
    ​Gobert or go home

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Yeah because Utah has NEVVVEERRRR done anything like this before... *cough* Roddick *cough* Or how bout BJ? Was the OC at the start of the season but everyone and their dog knew that he had been replaced by the R man himself.

I do find this disturbing. I'm glad that some of those coaches were let go.

at least Anae used the TE and doesn't mess with options.

I don't feel like Doman can stay. Once promoted you cannot lose that job and still remain on the staff. It just makes up for a bitter and cancerous situation.

An interesting dynamic will be what happens to Anae's power now? One of the main reasons why he left was because he and Bronco didn't get along. Anae wasn't "Bronco's" choice as I remember. Anae left and the "Chosen One" replaced him. Now that Domanhall really screwed up and this last season was a complete joke, will Bronco make changes in his own coaching? Will he refrain from messing with the offense? In particular, deciding who plays QB? Now that Anae has come back, relieving the failed Doman, what kind of muscle flexing will he do? I've heard that other coaches may be gone as well once Anae gets going. What sort of changes will he bring to the offense this time? Doesn't Anae have some "capital" to use now that everyone has seen what the program could be without him?
    Get Educated

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Feldheimer View Post
    When is Utah's bowl game?
    Get Educated

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Jan. 1, 2014
    Make jazzfanz UGLI Again

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    Jan. 1, 2014
    When Utah will hire a new Football coach?

All I know is, if Whitty has another season like the last few, Gonzo he will be. Better start recruiting... And hire a PROVEN OC. BJ has been a disaster.
    Get Educated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by UGLI baby View Post
    Jan. 1, 2014
    Amen!