Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51
  1. #1
    Modstapo Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    33,890
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    53877
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100

    Thoughts On The Immigration Reform Proposal

    https://www.cnn.com/2013/01/28/polit...html?hpt=po_c1

    Put forward by a group or 8 Senators (4 red, 4 blue).

    - Path to citizenship, includes a temp status, people will not be eligible for benefits while in the temp status

    - Increased effort and focus on securing the boarder

    - Penalties and laws hitting employeers hiring illegals

    - Increased flow for low-skill workers and a higher focus on high skilled workers, especially those with a degree from a US college/university


    It calls for several things I said would make a good compromise. Such as increasing the flow of immigrants, securing the boarder and allowing hard working people, the kind we want, to have a path to a legal status. If they fail to take advatage of that then boot them out.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    3775
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    So what are your thoughts?

  4. #3
    Modstapo Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    33,890
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    53877
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    I already listed a few of mine but I meant to ask peoples thoughts. Misworded the title.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    ban tower
    Posts
    4,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    0
    Rep Adjustment Power
    0
    what are ur thoughts stoked

  6. #5
    Senior Member candrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    10684
    Rep Adjustment Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.cnn.com/2013/01/28/polit...html?hpt=po_c1

    Put forward by a group or 8 Senators (4 red, 4 blue).

    - Path to citizenship, includes a temp status, people will not be eligible for benefits while in the temp status

    - Increased effort and focus on securing the boarder

    - Penalties and laws hitting employeers hiring illegals

    - Increased flow for low-skill workers and a higher focus on high skilled workers, especially those with a degree from a US college/university


    It calls for several things I said would make a good compromise. Such as increasing the flow of immigrants, securing the boarder and allowing hard working people, the kind we want, to have a path to a legal status. If they fail to take advatage of that then boot them out.
    Isn't this really all there is to it? 90% of illegals come here for economic opportunity. If we cracked down on the employers that are hiring these people to the point where it is not economically viable to do so - wouldn't the bulk of the illegal immigration problem dry up in a hurry?

    BTW - we have plenty of federal laws on the books already that punish people that hire illegals - they're just rarely enforced.

  7. #6
    Modstapo Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    33,890
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    53877
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by candrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Isn't this really all there is to it? 90% of illegals come here for economic opportunity. If we cracked down on the employers that are hiring these people to the point where it is not economically viable to do so - wouldn't the bulk of the illegal immigration problem dry up in a hurry?

    BTW - we have plenty of federal laws on the books already that punish people that hire illegals - they're just rarely enforced.
    Good points. Then review the laws on file, making corrections where needed and then enforce them.

    Honest economic opportunity is a main reason for illegal immigration but it is not the only reason people cross that border.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

  8. #7
    Senior Member MoTappin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sandy
    Posts
    929
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    1288
    Rep Adjustment Power
    26
    My thoughts: secure the border.

    You can't very well deport millions of illegals in some mass raid. But you can reduce the incentive to come or stay. Enforcing the laws we already have is a start. People say they aren't criminals, but then why do we call it ILLEGAL immigration? I'm sure there are plenty of otherwise good people here illegally. But in the mere act of crossing the border they broke the law.

    Yes, people should be able to come here for opportunity & freedom (for as long as we have it). But they need to do it legally. If that needs to be made simpler, fine. Come legally & we'll welcome you with open arms. But once you are here, PLEASE learn to speak the language. I wouldn't move to Germany and expect everything to be translated.
    "Excuse me...are you the singing bush?"

  9. #8
    Senior Member candrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    5,700
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    10684
    Rep Adjustment Power
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTappin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My thoughts: secure the border.
    Ironically, in some parts of the country, that's actually increased illegal immigration. When I lived in Texas you had many "seasonal" illegal immigrants. By that I mean, they'd sneak over the border, find temporary work (e.g. fruit picking) and then just take their money and go back to Mexico. Then around the middle part of last decade, you started having all these yahoo "Minutemen" patrolling the border. While that made it harder to get in and out of the country it didn't take away the incentive to try. So when illegals made it across the border they would just stay as opposed to going through the hassle of trying to get back in.

    It all goes back to drying up the incentive to come here in the first place.

  10. #9
    Modstapo Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    33,890
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    53877
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTappin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My thoughts: secure the border.

    You can't very well deport millions of illegals in some mass raid. But you can reduce the incentive to come or stay. Enforcing the laws we already have is a start. People say they aren't criminals, but then why do we call it ILLEGAL immigration? I'm sure there are plenty of otherwise good people here illegally. But in the mere act of crossing the border they broke the law.

    Yes, people should be able to come here for opportunity & freedom (for as long as we have it). But they need to do it legally. If that needs to be made simpler, fine. Come legally & we'll welcome you with open arms. But once you are here, PLEASE learn to speak the language. I wouldn't move to Germany and expect everything to be translated.
    I completely agree on them learning English. Should be a requirement. Having said that I think that more Americans learning more languages only makes us stronger as a nation.

    I agree on enforcing the work laws ont he books and changing where necessary.

    However I disagree on your "illegal" stance. I get where you are coming from and I tend to agree. However froma realistic standpoint deporting, thru self deportation or finding them and kicking them out, is a non starter. It simply will not happen. So secure the boarder first, stop the flow. Then grant a 6 month temp status to those illegal immigrants that are not breaking other laws beyond being here and working. Deport those that are breaking other laws. Then after six months if they have not started the paperwork on citizenship, legal residency or emplyment authorization or some other legal status then off they go. Bill the country they came from for the cost. Take it from the foreign aid to that country. That provides incentive for other countries to slow the flow toward the boarder as well. Hit their pocketbooks and you will see a change.
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

  11. #10
    Modstapo Stoked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern Utah
    Posts
    33,890
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    53877
    Rep Adjustment Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by candrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ironically, in some parts of the country, that's actually increased illegal immigration. When I lived in Texas you had many "seasonal" illegal immigrants. By that I mean, they'd sneak over the border, find temporary work (e.g. fruit picking) and then just take their money and go back to Mexico. Then around the middle part of last decade, you started having all these yahoo "Minutemen" patrolling the border. While that made it harder to get in and out of the country it didn't take away the incentive to try. So when illegals made it across the border they would just stay as opposed to going through the hassle of trying to get back in.

    It all goes back to drying up the incentive to come here in the first place.
    Personally I see that porous border as a national security risk. Therefore I suggest that each state use thier national guard to patrol the border along with border patrol. Amoung other things like increased border checks...
    #BelieveInLindsey #BelieveInSnyder

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About Us
We are a community of Utah JazzFanz that are passionate about our team. We celebrate the highs that come with last second heroics and (some of us) cry in defeat. Welcome to our community. Be respectful of others and join in to the conversation...
Join us