View Poll Results: What kind of increase to your current salary would you need to change your lifestyle?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • up to 50% raise in income

3 15.79%
  • 50% raise up to double current income

7 36.84%
  • 2X up to triple current income

3 15.79%
  • 3X up to 5X current income

1 5.26%
  • more than 5X current income

0 0%
  • up to 100k annual salary (dollars)

0 0%
  • 100k to 200k

2 10.53%
  • 200k to 300k

3 15.79%
  • 300k to 500k

0 0%
  • more than 500k

2 10.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I avoid interest at all costs. Maybe it's to a fault and the wrong way to go about things though.
    I really hate paying interest to the bank (I even hate paying interest to blackjack dealers lol). I even choose to borrow from my 401k and pay the interest back to myself on occasion.

I have a pension for retirement which is nice (i have been with my company for 14 years so it's a decent monthly pension at this point). Plus my company matches 3.5 percent of my 6 percent contribution (total of 9.5 percent by my math). I figure there will be less SS for me but I will still get some. I hope to have no mortgage and no car payments or any other debt.

I figure that between my retirement stuff, social security, and my low monthly expenses I will be ok at retirement. Ok isn't great but I'm pretty easily satisfied and I think I will be ok with being ok.
    Gobert is eating souls out there

Snyder’s resting facial expression resembles that of a shiv-wielding prisoner

Quinn will let the team eat tonight now

Quinn snyder has definitely killed multiple hookers right?
    Likes NAOS liked this post

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by fishonjazz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I consider my lack of a car payment to be a return that I'm gaining on a monthly basis.
    If my car is paid off then I don't need to sell it because I can get a worse, lower paying job and still be ok cause my monthly expenses are so low due to my lack of debt. My mortgage is only about 700 dollars per month and no car payments or debt means any old job (McDonald's) could get me by.
    [/QUOTE]

The point is, if you invest $30,000 now, it will compound and grow faster than getting say $500 back a month to invest, even if you are paying 3%. The avg. rate of return on the stock market is 7%.

More importantly, everyone should invest as much as they can. Regardless of whether they finance debt or not.
    Likes NAOS liked this post

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    My wife and I do want to invest a small amount ($500) in a Marijuana production company but we have no idea how to choose which one and no idea how to actually invest the money.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    The point is, if you invest $30,000 now, it will compound and grow faster than getting say $500 back a month to invest, even if you are paying 3%. The avg. rate of return on the stock market is 7%.

More importantly, everyone should invest as much as they can. Regardless of whether they finance debt or not.[/QUOTE]
    You say the average rate of return. Which means it could be less sometimes right? Isn't investing a form of gambling, albeit less risky?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I avoid interest at all costs. Maybe it's to a fault and the wrong way to go about things though.
    I really hate paying interest to the bank (I even hate paying interest to blackjack dealers lol). I even choose to borrow from my 401k and pay the interest back to myself on occasion.

I have a pension for retirement which is nice (i have been with my company for 14 years so it's a decent monthly pension at this point). Plus my company matches 3.5 percent of my 6 percent contribution (total of 9.5 percent by my math). I figure there will be less SS for me but I will still get some. I hope to have no mortgage and no car payments or any other debt.

I figure that between my retirement stuff, social security, and my low monthly expenses I will be ok at retirement. Ok isn't great but I'm pretty easily satisfied and I think I will be ok with being ok.
    At least you are saving for retirement. Many do not.

When it comes to paying interest, you have to ask if borrowing will cost you less overall than not. So if you are going to buy a new car, is the power of investing $30k better than financing debt at 1.9%. At most of our ages, we should still be investing heavy with a decent amount of risk, so it is probably worth it.

Even borrowing from your 401(k) can be a bad idea. What has been your average rate of return? What interest are you paying?

Banned
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    My wife and I do want to invest a small amount ($500) in a Marijuana production company but we have no idea how to choose which one and no idea how to actually invest the money.
    Shoot give that money to Boris. I know where to get the plants an grow lights. Hell, I might even be able to convince the neighbor to let us grow em in his corn field. All I ask is you harvest the buds an get the hell outa there quickly as possible. These stoners always tryin to squat on my property an I'd be to tempted to get into the weed dealing business.

Last week I woke up to two of them damn hippie packs sleeping outside my trailer. 2 guys, 1 girl in a tent than 3 guys 1 girl next damn day. Don't know where they keep coming from but I gotta fire a shotgun off to wake em up, than feed em breakfast so they can pay attention.
    Likes fishonjazz liked this post

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power

More importantly, everyone should invest as much as they can. Regardless of whether they finance debt or not.
    You say the average rate of return. Which means it could be less sometimes right? Isn't investing a form of gambling, albeit less risky?[/QUOTE]

7% is the average return you should expect over the long-term with the stock market. Unless you are old, and getting ready to retire, if you bet against the market long-term, you will likely lose. This is for broad based investments. My individual stocks have gained 40.32% over the last 12 months. I'd be kicking myself if I invested less and did not have a car payment (one car was at 1.9% that I just paid off after 5 yrs) and my current car is at 2.49%.

I have made 40% on my stock investments over the last 12 months. Over the last 3 years they have grown 215.48%. I just wish I had even more to invest. I also invest in commercial real estate, and even in the downturn, was still an ok investment. Over the last 15 years, my rate of return on real estate has never been below 4%, and has been as high as 29%. Utah commercial real estate is pretty safe, unless you own the Gateway.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    I'm 56 years old and have a rare incurable illness that will most likely keep me from reaching retirement age. My dilemma is whether I should keep paying any more than my company matches into my 401k. I need a crystal ball.

FYI - not looking for sympathy here but some genuine ideas/opinions.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app
    Last edited by JazzGal; 03-27-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZGASM View Post
    You say the average rate of return. Which means it could be less sometimes right? Isn't investing a form of gambling, albeit less risky?

7% is the average return you should expect over the long-term with the stock market. Unless you are old, and getting ready to retire, if you bet against the market long-term, you will likely lose. This is for broad based investments. My individual stocks have gained 40.32% over the last 12 months. I'd be kicking myself if I invested less and did not have a car payment (one car was at 1.9% that I just paid off after 5 yrs) and my current car is at 2.49%.

I have made 40% on my stock investments over the last 12 months. Over the last 3 years they have grown 215.48%. I just wish I had even more to invest. I also invest in commercial real estate, and even in the downturn, was still an ok investment. Over the last 15 years, my rate of return on real estate has never been below 4%, and has been as high as 29%. Utah commercial real estate is pretty safe, unless you own the Gateway. [/QUOTE]

That is awesome. I have been focusing on investing in real estate the past 4 years, and thus have not put any money in the market. I wish I would have put all the real estate gains into retirement accounts. My real estate investments have had returns that were pretty great for what I invested, well over 100% on initial investment.

I need to figure out what I want to do though, as I don't have a 401k provided by my employer, and I just started a Roth. I am maxing out my Roth for 2016 and 2017. I have looked into simple IRA's but don't know a ton about them, and don't really know how to go about doing pre-tax investing. I am planning on transitioning my Roth to a broker that has a more lenient investment approach, to use the options on real estate and such. My current broker is Fidelity, and they are pretty traditional on the investments the allow.
    All hail #rallychurro

Welcome to the RUDY GOBERA!!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzGal View Post
    I'm 56 years old and have a rare incurable illness that will most likely keep me from reaching retirement age. My dilemma is whether I should keep paying any more than my company matches into my 401k. I need a crystal ball.

FYI - not looking for sympathy here but some genuine ideas/opinions.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using JazzFanz mobile app
    Man, I'd say that if you know that you won't reach retirement then stop putting money towards retirement. If it's like 80% I personally would take my chances and live now and let SSI or SSD take care of me, albeit at a pretty low income, essentially poverty.

If it's more likely than not you'll reach retirement then I'd invest, but I wouldn't invest too much.

I mean, unless you really want to give someone a windfall after you die and they collect your nest egg and promptly blow it on hookers and coke.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletproof View Post
    Man, I'd say that if you know that you won't reach retirement then stop putting money towards retirement. If it's like 80% I personally would take my chances and live now and let SSI or SSD take care of me, albeit at a pretty low income, essentially poverty.

If it's more likely than not you'll reach retirement then I'd invest, but I wouldn't invest too much.

I mean, unless you really want to give someone a windfall after you die and they collect your nest egg and promptly blow it on hookers and coke.
    That's kind of what I'm thinking, and I recently reduced what I was putting in as I needed to pay some medical bills. I suppose I could consider it as a savings account (with a higher return than the bank) and withdraw it at some point using the hardship rule once I am unable to work.

I don't have children, so I don't need to leave anyone a windfall. I don't think my nieces and nephews would blow it on hookers and coke, but I guess you really never know. I do want to have a kickin' funeral, though.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by JazzGal View Post
    That's kind of what I'm thinking, and I recently reduced what I was putting in as I needed to pay some medical bills. I suppose I could consider it as a savings account (with a higher return than the bank) and withdraw it at some point using the hardship rule once I am unable to work.

I don't have children, so I don't need to leave anyone a windfall. I don't think my nieces and nephews would blow it on hookers and coke, but I guess you really never know. I do want to have a kickin' funeral, though.
    Yeah I would probably just use it as a savings account with a higher interest rate.
    All hail #rallychurro

Welcome to the RUDY GOBERA!!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Give it to me. I will take care of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyReAL View Post
    The guy is in Reno. RENO! Give him a break.
    Well, Leipzig now. But we sure do miss Reno.

The path to heaven runs through miles of clouded hell.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by LogGrad98 View Post
    Give it to me. I will take care of you.
    investing 500 in mary-jane does not mean give it to someone to smoke 500 dollar worth of reefer
    01-21-2013
    I, HeavenHarris, hereby pledge to my fellow JFC'rs that I will no longer give out neg-reps. All it does is cause negative things, like fights, drama, bitching, ill will, bad feelings, etc.
    Love, not hate, is the answer bros and moes.

LOL Lol breaks his pledge 5 days later hahahaha

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Total Rep Points
    Rep Adjustment Power
    Quote Originally Posted by DutchJazzer View Post
    investing 500 in mary-jane does not mean give it to someone to smoke 500 dollar worth of reefer
    I would share.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyReAL View Post
    The guy is in Reno. RENO! Give him a break.
    Well, Leipzig now. But we sure do miss Reno.

The path to heaven runs through miles of clouded hell.