What's new

‘Banged up’ D-Will just keeps playing

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/50730712-87/jazz-williams-guard-sloan.html.csp

By Brian T. Smith
and Steve Luhm
The Salt Lake Tribune
Published Nov 23, 2010 09:52PM
Updated Nov 23, 2010 12:15AM
Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said Monday that Deron Williams has not informed him of any lingering injury issues, which is just the way the All-Star guard wants it.
Williams acknowledged Saturday following a road win against Portland that he was “banged up.”
Utah’s team leader has dealt with foot, back, hip and calf injuries since the season started, yet he has managed to start all 15 of the Jazz’s games.
Prior to Utah’s 94-83 win against Sacramento on Monday at EnergySolutions Arena, Williams ranked second in the NBA in total minutes (548) and fifth in average minutes (39.1).
By comparison, Jazz Hall of Fame point guard John Stockton averaged more than 36 minutes just five times in 19 seasons. His career-high average: 38.7.
The idea of discussing any injury, however, is pointless to Williams. He wants to take the court at all times, and does not want to give opponents a possible advantage.
“It doesn’t change anything,” said Williams, following a Monday morning shootaround at EnergySolutions Arena. “I can talk about them all I want, but they’re still going to be there.”
As a result, Sloan has not heard a word of complaint from the Jazz leader in scoring (20.9) and assists (9.7).
“He hasn’t said anything about not playing,” Sloan said. “I guess whenever it comes to that point, I guess we’ll have to adjust and go on. He’s evidently trying to play with it, and that’s part of the business.
“Everybody plays with something banged up on them, it doesn’t make any difference whether However, Williams acknowledged after the win over the Kings that his shot is off and his legs are not providing their normal lift. In addition, an early-season Jazz journey that has been heavy on games — and thrilling but emotionally and physically draining comeback victories — has clearly taken a toll on the All-Star guard.
“We haven’t had many days off,” Williams said. “The schedule’s been pretty bad.”

Board talk
During its first 14 games, Utah was outrebounded by an average margin of 45-40. The Jazz were then outrebounded 50-39 by Sacramento.
Sloan said after the victory that his team’s commitment to the boards has gone downhill. Before the game, he stated that rebounding “comes from desire” and is the responsibility of all five players on the court.
“A lot of people think it’s strictly [up to] the big guys,” Sloan said. “But there are a lot of long shots in this league — a lot of 3-point shots. That’s when other people have to put themselves in position to try and rebound.”

Williams is a stud. Christina would have already taken games off. Nuff said.

I wish they would limit his mins a little. I recall him playing in the last few mins of the SAC game when other starters were out.

"“He hasn’t said anything about not playing,” Sloan said. “I guess whenever it comes to that point, I guess we’ll have to adjust and go on. He’s evidently trying to play with it, and that’s part of the business.
“Everybody plays with something banged up on them, it doesn’t make any difference whether However, Williams acknowledged after the win over the Kings that his shot is off and his legs are not providing their normal lift. In addition, an early-season Jazz journey that has been heavy on games — and thrilling but emotionally and physically draining comeback victories — has clearly taken a toll on the All-Star guard."

Jerry needs to take note of this. Deron is a should-be all star but he cannot perform that way when he is this banged up, as noted above. Nor are the jazz going to perform well with their star playing substandard.

Deron should not have played against the queens. Let your subs and backups do their jobs Jerry. Even taking one loss is better than continuing with a much reduced DWill. But no, we're gonna be tough men and we will just keep going, even though we shoot 7 for 27 or whatever it is he is doing.

"“He hasn’t said anything about not playing,” Sloan said. “I guess whenever it comes to that point, I guess we’ll have to adjust and go on. He’s evidently trying to play with it, and that’s part of the business.
“Everybody plays with something banged up on them, it doesn’t make any difference whether However, Williams acknowledged after the win over the Kings that his shot is off and his legs are not providing their normal lift. In addition, an early-season Jazz journey that has been heavy on games — and thrilling but emotionally and physically draining comeback victories — has clearly taken a toll on the All-Star guard."

Jerry needs to take note of this. Deron is a should-be all star but he cannot perform that way when he is this banged up, as noted above. Nor are the jazz going to perform well with their star playing substandard.

Deron should not have played against the queens. Let your subs and backups do their jobs Jerry. Even taking one loss is better than continuing with a much reduced DWill. But no, we're gonna be tough men and we will just keep going, even though we shoot 7 for 27 or whatever it is he is doing.
Most players want to play. It is not exclusively the players' job to inform the coach that they should not go back in. They might think that they would hurt the team (or signal weakness to the opposing team) by doing so.

In the last game it was plainly obvious that DW was hampered. He managed an exccellent 9 assists to only 2 TOs, but he had airballed already in the first 3 quarters (he said he had 3+ for the game). There was no reason to put DW back on the court in the 4th quarter. Although he logged a couple of assists and scored a couple from the charity stripe in six minutes in Q4, he also missed two straight FTs and got blocked.

There were alternatives who were plenty capable of preserving the lead. A primary priority of coaches (with the ultimate goal of winning << rolleyes >>) is to to observe and know who's doing well and who's doing poorly--be it due to injury or what other reason. While observation should've been plenty, asking Deron if it was better for him to rest or to go back in was also an option, although he still might have understated his lack of lift. I"m optimistic that, with a nearly 20-point lead, DW would've decided to sit longer until the lead fell to a more dangerous level.

yeah, I was pissed when DWill was subbed back into the game at the end of the Kings game. Hopefully this spark from Watson is fo-real... D-dub's minutes need to be dropped to around 35.

I attribute D-Will's toughness to him spending time with Harpring during the summers.
They would play football together and do drills.
I don't want to hear anyone ripping on the Harp anymore, we wouldn't have the D-Willy we have now if not for Harp and his Football skillz.

YOu sir are an idiot.dwill tough cuz of harpring?lmao. YOu do know he was a stud wrestler too in school right ?