What's new

2016 NBA Free Agency Talk

BTP

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--knicks-acquire-derrick-rose-192657038.html

I actually think the deal makes sense for both parties.
Knicks go all in and if Melo stays healthy, Rose stays healthy and Kristaps keeps improving at last year's rate, they have a pretty good lineup depending on who else they add in July.
If they break down, trade Melo for assets, let Rose walk they still have Kristaps for 7 more years and can rebuild around him twice if necessary.

Bulls protect their assets as they bet on Rose not getting more valuable than right now after a good season in which he improved steadily. Still a top5 iso scorer in terms of Points per Possession even if the refs never send him to the line anymore.
They have done some bad investments the last years and as a consequence lost their gigantic pool of assets, depth and talent.

If Rose stays healthy.......

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

What else would they bet on? They still have Melo on a long term contract. Kristaps is a Center. You can't bring both Rolo and Kristaps in a playoff game, that's been proven over multiple years now. So Rolo is too good to be a backup but too bad to be a key contributor on a contender.
They bet on Rose staying healthy and keep improving. If it doesn't work they didn't give up any long term assets and they'll just move on. Afflalo is a legit 3rd/4th option. Melo can play both forward positions. They need some depth and 1 starting caliber player. ANd the Rose insurance. Even though you coudl argue you don't get a ROse insurance because if he goes down early having an insurance would mean not getting a top 10 pick in '17 draft. So you go full Roulette. Put all your money on the #1.

What else would they bet on? They still have Melo on a long term contract. Kristaps is a Center. You can't bring both Rolo and Kristaps in a playoff game, that's been proven over multiple years now. So Rolo is too good to be a backup but too bad to be a key contributor on a contender.
They bet on Rose staying healthy and keep improving. If it doesn't work they didn't give up any long term assets and they'll just move on. Afflalo is a legit 3rd/4th option. Melo can play both forward positions. They need some depth and 1 starting caliber player. ANd the Rose insurance. Even though you coudl argue you don't get a ROse insurance because if he goes down early having an insurance would mean not getting a top 10 pick in '17 draft. So you go full Roulette. Put all your money on the #1.

You trade Melo, obvi.

You trade Melo, obvi.
Would anyone want him and his contract?

I kind of think he is at the point where he has a good chance to make a team worse just by adding him. He is still under contract for 24 million, 26 million, and 29 million in the next three years. Idk if that is bad or good anymore with Hayward possibly making those numbers look tiny.
He will also be 35 at the end of that deal.

Would anyone want him and his contract?

I kind of think he is at the point where he has a good chance to make a team worse just by adding him. He is still under contract for 24 million, 26 million, and 29 million in the next three years. Idk if that is bad or good anymore with Hayward possibly making those numbers look tiny.
He will also be 35 at the end of that deal.

Somebody wanted Derrick Rose's contract....

Somebody wanted Derrick Rose's contract....
Derrick rose has one year left at 21 million and will be 28 at that point.

Melo has three years left at 24, 26, and 29 million and will be 35.

I don't think it's Apple's to Apple's comp

true but production per $ Carmelo is probably better than Rose.

Still, don't really like either at this point in their careers, the Knicks are probably going to keep stinking.

You trade Melo, obvi.

Yes but I think Jackson is very similar to Pat Riley. He'll try to retool 5 times before he goes full tank mode. ALso with New York you also have to consider politics in the background. Dolan nervous breakdowns when he sees shrinking door admission fees in a bad season.

I think the deal is a calculated risk when you try to get back into contention asap with a 20% chance that it actually works. The good thing for them is they didn't give up assets. It would probably have been smarter to go after Teague. But I guess ATL only wanted a pick, which New York doesn't have. The Atlanta situation is so much more puzzling to me tbh.

I don't get Atlanta's angle. Are they coinflip mode?
Either they get a real star in free agency and go all in with their capspace to round it out, retain Horford and Bazemore after getting their desired free agent. And if not they'll just let Horford walk, trade Millsap + Korver for younger assets and have the Jazz #12 as a first rebuilding step?

Not to mention Melo's body is breaking down as rapidly as Rose's.

Knicks have 45 mil tied up in two players who may not play 100 games combined next season.

Dwight Howard and Jeremy Linn have opted out of their contracts to become free agents. I expect more to follow.

Three situations might be over very quickly

1. Noah and Knicks

2. Bradley Beal and Wizards

3. Mozgov and Lakers.

Lakers in serious talks on the framework of a four-year, $65M deal with Timofey Mozgov, league sources tell @TheVertical.

Hahah

The money going around right now is straight up stupid...I get the cap jumping but dang...Mozgof gets 16 mill a year?
Noah getting 18? Beal getting 26?
Damn I really like our players contracts now sheesh

So far Beal, DeRozan and Parsons have gotten the max. Obviously Durant and Lebron are going to get a max deal, probably both a 1 year max. I am pretty sure Drummon, Whiteside, Conley, Horford, Batum and maybe Wade will get max as well. That is 11 max contracts given out, that seems like it should be a record for most max deals in one FA period. Is anyone else going to get a max deal? Fournier or maybe even Ryan Anderson? I heard Bazemore is looking at 20 mil. I would be okay with most or all of those players on the Jazz for a 2 year max deal, especially with a team option the second year. I am surprised Bismack is not getting more love. I would take him over Mozgof.

How much did bradley beal, parsons, derozan and other max guys get?

How big was the max for these guys?