What's new

2017 College Football Thread

Keefe

Didn't see a thread on this in the last few pages.

[MENTION=253]Saint Cy of JFC[/MENTION]

What are your thoughts on Mississippi State today? How good do you think they are? I wanna pound them +8 as well as have them ML as one part in a four or five team parlay. I've been a huge Fitz supporter and think he has the tools to be a stud qb. How has he looked in the first two games?

IDK. I think they probably cover since it's at home, but I think Fitzgerald is kind of overrated.

I tend to agree. The two games I watched him last year I thought he was awful as a passer. And even as a runner, my recollection is that he isn't that explosive intially though that is true of most taller guys. That said, I'm interested to see if he's improved a lot under Mullen.

I tend to agree. The two games I watched him last year I thought he was awful as a passer. And even as a runner, my recollection is that he isn't that explosive intially though that is true of most taller guys. That said, I'm interested to see if he's improved a lot under Mullen.

He is special in that he has excellent top end speed for a guy his size, and he can get to that speed fairly quickly when he runs north/south. He just isnt super quick like a Lamar Jackson. His passing is what frustrates me as it's pretty hit or miss.

Actually had a chance to sit down all day and watch football. That Florida-Tennessee ending was amazing. Memphis-UCLA was extremely fun to watch. I really thought even with their offensive problems, BYU would at least put up a fight vs Wisconsin. Boy was I wrong.

I don't want to read too much into it, or be over-reactionary, but I'm starting to worry that maybe Utah's just not that good. North Dakota got spanked 45-7 today by a fellow FCS school, and right now BYU is a really bad football team. Utah lost a ton to the NFL last year and they've got a lot of young guys in a new offense. While I'm extremely excited about what this team can be in 2018, I'm sensing there's going to be some lumps taken this year.

He is special in that he has excellent top end speed for a guy his size, and he can get to that speed fairly quickly when he runs north/south. He just isnt super quick like a Lamar Jackson. His passing is what frustrates me as it's pretty hit or miss.

He looks infinitely better to me tonight. His stats are nothing special but he actually looks like a solid, capable qb.

He looks infinitely better to me tonight. His stats are nothing special but he actually looks like a solid, capable qb.

The run game has been super consistent tonight so it took a lot of pressure off him.

The fact their #1 running back isnt a 5'5 180 lb guy anymore is pretty massive too. That frustrated me so much last year.

So that detmer coaching seat has gotta be pretty hot, right? BYU's offense hasn't looked this dreadful since the part time they hired a great former player thinking he could coach (Brandon Doman).

So that detmer coaching seat has gotta be pretty hot, right? BYU's offense hasn't looked this dreadful since the part time they hired a great former player thinking he could coach (Brandon Doman).

IMO, I haven't seen a BYU team struggle this much since the unraveling of the Gary Crowton era. At this point, I can almost guarantee that in the offseason, Ty Detmer and BYU "mutually" agree to part ways so Ty can pursue other interests (that's code for going back to Texas HS football). I'd bet dollars to donuts that Aaron Roderick is the OC for BYU next season.

I still think Kilane was the right hire for BYU but I gotta admit, I'm starting to wonder if the job is too big for him. I talk to a lot of BYU fans who complain about the lack of talent Bronco left behind for Sitake but the fact of the matter is that Bronco was winning 8-10 games a year with that talent.

IMO, I haven't seen a BYU team struggle this much since the unraveling of the Gary Crowton era. At this point, I can almost guarantee that in the offseason, Ty Detmer and BYU "mutually" agree to part ways so Ty can pursue other interests (that's code for going back to Texas HS football). I'd bet dollars to donuts that Aaron Roderick is the OC for BYU next season.

I still think Kilane was the right hire for BYU but I gotta admit, I'm starting to wonder if the job is too big for him. I talk to a lot of BYU fans who complain about the lack of talent Bronco left behind for Sitake but the fact of the matter is that Bronco was winning 8-10 games a year with that talent.

Good post.

For as much grief as Bronco and Anae were given, they were extremely effective. They'd consistently win 8-10 games, score pts, and typically had at least one receiver who looked to be Div I (Harline, Collie, Pitta, George, Hoffman, Lesley, Matthews, etc). Right now I look at their offense and the talent just isn't there. It especially shows in the WR core. Furthermore, as predictable as Anae was, Detmer is 100x worse.

This is the 2nd time they've promoted a former great player with limited coaching experience to coach their most important group. Doman was a failure and clearly Detmer is too. Maybe next time they should hire a more proven commodity? Sometimes great players don't make for great coaches.

I like ARod.

Btw, what happens when their espn contract comes up? ESPN isn't as well off financially and byu looks like a diminished product. Time to go back to the MWC?

Good post.

For as much grief as Bronco and Anae were given, they were extremely effective. They'd consistently win 8-10 games, score pts, and typically had at least one receiver who looked to be Div I (Harline, Collie, Pitta, George, Hoffman, Lesley, Matthews, etc). Right now I look at their offense and the talent just isn't there. It especially shows in the WR core. Furthermore, as predictable as Anae was, Detmer is 100x worse.

This is the 2nd time they've promoted a former great player with limited coaching experience to coach their most important group. Doman was a failure and clearly Detmer is too. Maybe next time they should hire a more proven commodity? Sometimes great players don't make for great coaches.

I like ARod.

Btw, what happens when their espn contract comes up? ESPN isn't as well off financially and byu looks like a diminished product. Time to go back to the MWC?

I think both the MWC and AAC are coming up on renewed deals too. Of I were BYU I would be pushing for: BYU, Army, 7 MWC(including AF), 7 AAC(including Navy). It's still a tier below P5 but it's a clear tier above the rest of the FBS.

some possible annual bowls for conference
NY6 v P5
Las Vegas v Pac12
Birmingham v SEC
Miltary bowl(service academies)v ACC or Big10

Good post.

I like ARod.

I think both the MWC and AAC are coming up on renewed deals too. Of I were BYU I would be pushing for: BYU, Army, 7 MWC(including AF), 7 AAC(including Navy). It's still a tier below P5 but it's a clear tier above the rest of the FBS.

some possible annual bowls for conference
NY6 v P5
Las Vegas v Pac12
Birmingham v SEC
Miltary bowl(service academies)v ACC or Big10