2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by White Chocolate, Jul 20, 2019.

1. The Thriller

The Thriller Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Lol

2. LogGrad98

LogGrad98 Well-Known Member Contributor

Jul 7, 2010
    Sadly this is what the next election is likely going to come to. Vote for big orange or just whoever else ends up running, as opposed to really have someone solid to get behind. In a universe of sound-bites I guess some level of depth is too much to ask.

3. RandyForRubio

RandyForRubio Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Fwiw, Red Flag laws as it is currently written is absolutely awful. Lot of issues there, especially with verification.

4. RandyForRubio

Mar 9, 2015
    This is a small quibble, but "gun buyback" doesn't make any sense to me.

How can they buy back, what they didn't own in the first place? Did the government purchase my gun? Nope. So they can't buy it back.

I guess "give us your gun and we give you money" doesn't have the same ring to it, though.

5. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    You are right, that is a small quibble

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

NAOS likes this.
  6. RandyForRubio

Mar 9, 2015
    I wasn't sure you could handle a big one.

7. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    I'm positive that you can handle a big one

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

8. RandyForRubio

Mar 9, 2015
    The voice of experience, eh?

Stoked likes this.
  9. Safetydan

Safetydan Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Lol. Nice one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

10. Safetydan

Safetydan Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    ****** comeback

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

11. NAOS

NAOS Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    After watching the 3rd debate I feel pretty sure that Mayor Pete is kind of hanging back a little. On purpose.

There are a lot of ways that he could be viewed as a solution to the distinction between the Warren-Sanders and Biden images of the party. But it would be smart to let that distinction ripen further, for now.

And, I feel like he has verve, argumentation-wise, that he is keeping in the corral for the right time, when the field thins out a bit. I believe he has the fund-raising to get to the top-5. That’ll be his time to shoot for the head of the pack.

str8line likes this.
  12. NAOS

NAOS Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Warren is a better messenger than Bernie. I’m starting to believe that, while she and Bernie are both likely to make it all the way to the convention, she’s most likely to emerge as the candidate.

13. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2015
    https://www.vox.com/policy-and-poli...icans-lose-popular-vote-win-electoral-college

In 2016, Donald Trump won the presidency despite receiving nearly 3 million fewer votes than Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton. In 2000, George W. Bush pulled off a similar trick. According to a new study, these are not flukes. They are the kind of results we should expect from the Electoral College.

The study, by three economics researchers at the University of Texas, quantifies just how often the Electoral College will produce an “inversion” — that is, an election where one candidate wins the popular vote but the other walks away with the presidency. The numbers are simply astonishing.

In modern elections where one party prevails by just 2 points in the two-party popular vote, “inversions are expected in more than 30% of elections.” That number rises to 40 percent in elections with a 1 percentage-point margin.

Republicans, moreover, are far more likely to benefit from an inversion than Democrats. “In the modern period,” the study suggests, “Republicans should be expected to win 65% of Presidential contests in which they narrowly lose the popular vote.”

Stoked likes this.
  14. JazzyFresh

JazzyFresh Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I have nothing at all against Biden and would actually lean his direction but I sincerely think he is in early stages of dementia. Now he's saying that his tax credit will help put 720 million women back into the work force. I'm not saying this to be a jerk to the guy but it's no secret that he says some pretty questionable things.

And before "but but but Trump", the reason I don't like Trump is because he opens his mouth. This isn't about Trump though.

15. Catchall

Catchall Well-Known Member 2019 Prediction Contest Winner

May 27, 2010
    He needs to take it easy. He's had a distinguished career. When he's under pressure, it's like his mind freezes up. His poll numbers drop the more he makes public appearances.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  16. Catchall

May 27, 2010
    If Californians really turn out to vote, that drives the disparity. The Electoral College balances out the impact that New York and especially California have on the popular vote totals.

17. Catchall

May 27, 2010
    The energy of the Democrats really seems to be behind the left-wing of the party with Bernie and Warren. Harris, Buttigieg and Booker aren't taking off. Yang is having an impact, but his support would need to double or triple if he's going to really get in the race.

If support for Bernie and Liz can somehow coalesce, that would carry the nomination for one of them. However, the question will be, which one is willing to step aside for the other? Bernie isn't just going to go quietly, and he's actually gained some ground in the past couple of weeks. The other question is whether either of them can really carry a national election. I'll predict that answer is ultimately no, but time will tell.

18. One Brow

One Brow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    You do realize no state is monolithic, especially the large ones?

fishonjazz likes this.
  19. The Thriller

The Thriller Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2010
    I love how pro electoral college people think:

A. All citizens in populated states vote
    B. All votes go for one party.
    C. Because of this, votes from populated states should count 10x+ less than votes from less populated states. State size matters more than population size. The majority is now held hostage to the minority.

str8line likes this.
  20. candrew

candrew Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    You get rid of the electoral college then candidates would just campaign in a handful of states.

The winner take all system has to change. Perhaps if you get a super-majority (60%?) then you win all the electoral votes, otherwise you get a proportional number of votes.

This creates more competition and in the long run it's better for the states. Candidates will no longer be able to ignore states that are deep red or deep blue.