What's new

2022 NBA Draft Thread: We Going to Have a Pick! (lmao jk)

If we get an early second rounder I would love for us to get the thicc boi David Roddy. Not sure his game translates but I just want him out there throwing that wide body around. Fat is potential in disguise.

Yeah, he really needs to lose 20 lbs
That should be pretty easy… but don’t be thicc shaming okay.

With some work and a paying attention to his diet he should be able to do it. My guess is he comes into the combine and has lost 15 lbs or something and he rockets up draft boards. If not then fat is still potential in disguise.

Anyone have an opinion about Jeremy Sochan's ability to play at the 5? Could be interesting in a small-ball scenario possibly.

At the college level, Banchero looks like a less saucy version of Ben Simmons (LSU), but with a competitive attitude and a decent jump shot. The question is how much of it will translate to NBA speed and NBA defense.

At the college level, Banchero looks like a less saucy version of Ben Simmons (LSU), but with a competitive attitude and a decent jump shot. The question is how much of it will translate to NBA speed and NBA defense.
I read somewhere that his game reminded some Dookies of Marques Bolden that played for the Stars last season for what it's worth.

I read somewhere that his game reminded some Dookies of Marques Bolden that played for the Stars last season for what it's worth.

Banchero plays on the ball a lot, plays outside in, and likes to drive and kick or drive and finish. He's got the mid-range jumper that Ben Simmons always passes out of. I'm not seeing Marques Bolden, tbh.

Banchero plays on the ball a lot, plays outside in, and likes to drive and kick or drive and finish. He's got the mid-range jumper that Ben Simmons always passes out of. I'm not seeing Marques Bolden, tbh.
Bolden does have a three point shot and when he got healthy for the Stars he and Yoeli Childs shared the court a lot and Yoeli played down low mostly so there wasn't a lot of room to drive and finish or drive and kick. Bolden was a McDonald's All American with Dok and was a top 15 recruit followed by a dud of a college career.

Here is a stab at projecting draft ranges for the top 20 - 25 guys ---
  1. Banchero (1 - 2)
  2. Smith (1 - 3)
  3. Holmgren (1 - 4)
  4. Ivey (2 - 5)
  5. Murray (4 - 9)
  6. Sharpe (5 - 10)
  7. Mathurin (7 - 10)
  8. Griffin (7 - 12)
  9. Duren (7 - 14)
  10. Dyson (8 - 13)
  11. Eason (8 - 15)
  12. Davis (9 - 16)
  13. Dieng (13 - 18)
  14. Williams (13 - 18)
  15. Agbaji (13 - 19)
  16. Hardy (13 - 20)
  17. Sochan (14 - 19)
  18. Washington (15 - 22)
  19. Branham (15 - 22)
  20. Jovic (16 - 25)
  21. Brown (18 - 25)
  22. McGowens (21 - 27)
  23. Liddell (21 - 30)
  24. Moore (21 - 33)
  25. Kessler (21 - 35)

So Ben Simmons suddenly became an all-world passer and floor general once he was in the NBA?

I don’t actually know but your comp confuses me wildly.

Some guys who are being underrated in the draft, imo:

Wendell Moore is going to be very good for the modern game. He's built like Keldon Johnson (at UK), not quite as athletic, but has a better handle, better passing and better overall shooting. He's going to be fairly switchable on defense and versatile on offense. He'll be a nice pick in the latter half of the 1st round for some team. He does enough of everything that he'll be able to impact most plays. He also has some potential to emerge as a high-end scoring 2-guard. Some of his college numbers actually align pretty well with Devin Booker, though Moore is older as a prospect entering the draft and can't be considered a direct comparison.

Jaden Hardy is being underrated on a number of mock drafts, imo. He should be a bonafide shooter and scorer. Even though his numbers from the G-league weren't great, he was playing in a pro league against bigger, better athletes than the NCAA. He got a lot better as his season went on, and his 89% FT shooting bodes really well for his shooting splits going forward. He's like a more athletic version of D'Angelo Russell and he should develop a full scoring package. He absolutely should be in the same tier as Johnny Davis and be taken by the mid-1st round.

Dyson Daniels has tremendous positional value. As a defender on the perimeter, he can have the same impact as a player like Lonzo Ball. Then on offense, he has enough size, athleticism and vision with the ball to play as a true lead guard. While he doesn't have a lot of burst to his first step, his size and shiftiness will let him get in the lane where he can score with a floater from 5 - 10 feet or get all the way to the rim. He should also be able to make passes to both corners or put up a lob depending on how the defense reacts to him. His somewhat herky-jerky style with the ball reminds a bit of Goran Dragic, and like Dragic he should be able to focus his jump shot over time.

Tari Eason has elite size and length for a wing at 6'8", 218 lbs, with a 7' ws. He has enough handle and body control that if he gets an opening he's going to be able to explode to the rim. He's going to look better in NBA spacing than he did at the college level, and some of his advanced stats last year were off the charts. He has a toughness and functional athleticism that enables him to impact plays all over the floor and will give him a natural advantage over most defenders. Very interested to see what his Combine numbers look like.