What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Scoot is a crazy athlete. This is my first time seeing him play full action. He's explosive at the rim, but his movement reminds me of Chris Paul. Really quick, efficient movements in favor of the more twitchy lateral movements like Mitchell.

is the comp of Ja Morant in a stronger body accurate ?

He definitely looks the part. I think what made Ja special as a prospect is that he was already an elite passer coming into the league. Scoot seems to be shooting (and scoring) everything. He's probably more DRose in his approach to the game but we're splitting hairs here. Wall, Rose, Ja....he's that level of prospect for sure. Scoot is a #1 caliber prospect even if he'll likely fall to #2.

His ball handling and the way he navigates screens reminds me of Chris Paul, but he looks to be a top 1% athlete at the rim. He's shifty in the air, seeks contact, has craft, and explodes off on one foot in the blink of an eye. He's special.

The only bad marks I would have for him so far is some slightly questionable shot selection (he made some of the tough shots) and his defensive attention has been hit and miss. Some plays he's very engaged and obviously talking...other times he's let his guy go by him too easily.

He definitely looks the part. I think what made Ja special as a prospect is that he was already an elite passer coming into the league. Scoot seems to be shooting (and scoring) everything. He's probably more DRose in his approach to the game but we're splitting hairs here. Wall, Rose, Ja....he's that level of prospect for sure. Scoot is a #1 caliber prospect even if he'll likely fall to #2.

His ball handling and the way he navigates screens reminds me of Chris Paul, but he looks to be a top 1% athlete at the rim. He's shifty in the air, seeks contact, has craft, and explodes off on one foot in the blink of an eye. He's special.

The only bad marks I would have for him so far is some slightly questionable shot selection (he made some of the tough shots) and his defensive attention has been hit and miss. Some plays he's very engaged and obviously talking...other times he's let his guy go by him too easily.

thanks for the appraisal Haven't seen any real video of him yet

I thought Wemby stole the show with his first stint, showed all the offensive potential by scoring in different ways. His second stint showed the offensive concerns. Still very much a work in progress.

Defensively, Wemby was up and down. He blocks so many shots in a "where tf did he come from" manner. He will be elite day one as a weakside shot blocker. But when he was in a drop and the offensive player knew he was there, he wasn't that intimidating of a presence. It was mostly Scoot, so maybe he deserves a break, but he looks uncomfortable as true defensive anchor in drop. He also fouled a ton which has been a problem for him. Still a very special defensive talent though. Had some impressive moments defending on the perimeter too.

I thought Wemby stole the show with his first stint, showed all the offensive potential by scoring in different ways. His second stint showed the offensive concerns. Still very much a work in progress.

Defensively, Wemby was up and down. He blocks so many shots in a "where tf did he come from" manner. He will be elite day one as a weakside shot blocker. But when he was in a drop and the offensive player knew he was there, he wasn't that intimidating of a presence. It was mostly Scoot, so maybe he deserves a break, but he looks uncomfortable as true defensive anchor in drop. He also fouled a ton which has been a problem for him. Still a very special defensive talent though. Had some impressive moments defending on the perimeter too.
Agreed. Wemby was super impressive the first few minutes showing why scouts are so high on him..I will say he carries his whole team while Henderson has quite a bit of help.
Wemby had a few impressive blocks but overall not much defense being played in this game.

Scoot has Ja Morant-level athleticism, but seems to be developing a more diverse floor game. The problem with Ja is that he's too predictable. He either lines up his angle and drives at the rim, or he pulls the deep 3ball. There isn't much of an in-between game with Ja, so the Grizzlies' defense isn't actually that diverse when he's in the game.

Sidy Cissoko has been fairly impressive as well. If he can shoot, he's definitely a first round pick. Leonard Miller has kind of vomitted out a lot of good and bad things tonight. He plays super hard but he's got a fugly shot.

Wemby has gotten two shooting foul's on 3's. He's got the Jae Crowder/Garry Bird gift where you can't even guard his shot because he jumps forward.