What's new

A Brief History of #3 Overall Picks and Playing Time

IBProfane

Here is a short list of #3 overall picks since the 2000 NBA Draft. Listed is the year the player was drafted and then minutes per game during their rookie, sophmore, and third year in the NBA. For as much as we complained about Deron Williams at the time, he played more during his rookie season than Favors has played at any point while on the Jazz during 3 seasons. Enes Kanter has the lowest court time of ANY player drafted during the last 13 years by nearly 7 MPG, only trailing...you guessed it, Derrick Favors.

2012 - Bradley Beal (31.0 MPG)
2011 - Enes Kanter (13.2, 14.7 MPG)
2010 - Derrick Favors (20.2, 21.3, 21.8 MPG)
2009 - James Harden (22.9, 26.7, 31.4 MPG)
2008 - O.J. Mayo (38.0, 38.0, 26.3 MPG)
2007 - Al Horford (31.4, 33.5, 35.1 MPG)
2006 - Adam Morrison (29.8, Injured, 15.2 MPG)
2005 - Deron Williams (28.8, 36.9, 37.3 MPG)
2004 - Ben Gordon (24.4, 31.0, 33.0 MPG)
2003 - Carmelo Anthony (36.5, 34.8, 36.8 MPG)
2002 - Mike Dunleavy (15.9, 31.1, 32.5 MPG)
2001 - Pau Gasol (36.7, 36.0, 31.5 MPG)
2000 - Darius Miles (26.3, 27.2, 30.0 MPG)

I feel terrible for Favors and Kanter, they haven't even had a fair shake. Seeing how badly our front office has dropped the ball is really something to behold when you see statistics like these. I wouldn't blame either of them for wanting to bolting when their rookie deals are up. It's a sad state of affairs folks.

We might as well trade Favors and Kanter now...since its a lock they leave when they get a chance.

The best part is, that when the Jazz finally do something about their roster and the two #3s get to play--that Kanter and favors are going to experience a huge learning curve and we will get to experience another race to the 8th seed.

before we get too outraged
1. a lot of those players were drafted to fill specific needs and fit into starting teams straight away
2. many of those teams would have been well below playoff level with less competition for minutes
3. both enes and derrick were drafted as projects, after zero/minimal college experience.

all that said, i do wish there was a way to find these guys more time without giving up on the season altogether.

before we get too outraged
1. a lot of those players were drafted to fill specific needs and fit into starting teams straight away
2. many of those teams would have been well below playoff level with less competition for minutes
3. both enes and derrick were drafted as projects, after zero/minimal college experience.

all that said, i do wish there was a way to find these guys more time without giving up on the season altogether.

that does not excuse the treatment kanter is getting
kanter and favors are better then fat al.

Uh...Al and Millsap combined for 69 1/2 minutes last night. The Jazz were outscored by 10 with Big Al on the court. Take some of those minutes and give them to Enes, and there's a decent chance the Jazz play better.

Uh...Al and Millsap combined for 69 1/2 minutes last night. The Jazz were outscored by 10 with Big Al on the court. Take some of those minutes and give them to Enes, and there's a decent chance the Jazz play better.

decent?
9 out of 10 times jazz will play better

What the FO wants you to believe is in the Jazz's winning tradition and wants you to look at the past to give patience for the future. You know, like, pretend this team is still fronted by Larry Miller and Jerry Sloan as if the comparison with the past is somehow relevant, like this is the same team/franchise or something.

Thanks for the stats. I've been combing thru the history a little bit, too. There is no precident for this. The FO has found themselves here because they are taking the hardline on ASSET MANAGEMENT, and are either ignoring the human side or are doubling down on the idea that money + no terrible seasons are more important to players than quantities of minutes. I don't think they are correct.

This is what really pisses me off about Ty: most #3 picks are drafted onto bottom of the league teams, hence getting higher playing time than they would deserve on a winning club.

I doubt those other 3's had the teams 2 other best players playing the same position though ... but something has to happen Favors looked great last night and Kanter well he is young still

This is what really pisses me off about Ty: most #3 picks are drafted onto bottom of the league teams, hence getting higher playing time than they would deserve on a winning club.

You are being extra cute this morning. I'm like Haha, next, Haha.

The bigs will survive. I don't think either of them are emotionally fragile and both understand the unique situation they are in.