What's new

A sad, sad, day for me as a Mariners fan...

Boondocksaint27

The man, the myth, the legend, Ken "the Kid" Griffey Jr. announces his retirement today. Even though he was getting older and his numbers are down, I grew up watching him play and had held out hope he would have one of those rare swan song seasons. I will never forget his slide into home off the Edgar Martinez (thanks candrew) double to beat the Yankees in '95 (again, candrew deserves credit) and I followed him through the Red years and his return to the M's. Rest easy, Kid. Nothing but love.

https://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/06/02/griffey.retiring.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

ken-griffey-jr1.jpg

Last edited:
Hahaha. That brings back memories. yet another reason to love the man. Ken Griffey Jr.'s baseball on Super Nintendo was the best baseball console game ever made.

*yawn*

Too soon?

Kidding aside, one of the few who didn't amazingly get bigger and hit home runs. He just hit home runs as a skinny runt.

Clearly baiting but I'll take it. There have never been allegations made against Griffey and that fact that he was often injured back that up. There were various articles written about how Griffey was not in fact ever implicated in steroid use or abuse.

https://www.faniq.com/blog/Mitchell-Report-10-Players-That-Wont-Be-Listed-Blog-5347
"Ken Griffey Jr Which is why he'll always be one of the best."

https://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.js...t_id=2326492&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb
"A 13-time All-Star, Griffey has 593 career home runs over a 19-season career with the Reds and Mariners. Most of his career achievements have come during what's become known as the "steroid era," but his name has never been linked to any allegations regarding performance-enhancing drugs."

https://hubpages.com/hub/Why-Ken-Griffey-Jr-Has-Never-Been-Accused-of-Steroids

Can't have you slinging mud on the guy who did everything the right way during the dark era of baseball. Talk to me when you have some evidence other then that he played during that era.

We are going to Seattle in two weeks and since Bono can't make it, I was hoping to see Junior in a Mariner uni one last time. Every game I saw him play in the Kingdome, he homered. Great player. Sad day for baseball.

Haha. Wow, my large bad. Thanks for pointing that out candrew and yes I am going to go back and edit that out. Although I will slap myself on the wrist for the mental slip of Renteria in place of the great Edgar Martinez (what is the matter with me?). Which reminds me, hopefully the Seattle City Council renames the street intersecting with Edgar Martinez Blvd. Ken Griffey Jr. Drive in his honor.

We are going to Seattle in two weeks and since Bono can't make it, I was hoping to see Junior in a Mariner uni one last time. Every game I saw him play in the Kingdome, he homered. Great player. Sad day for baseball.

That is friggin' awesome. By the way YB, how often do you make it up to Seattle? I try to go once a season and did have the pleasure once of watching Ichiro hit a rare homer. The last series I took in up there was against the Red Sox. Every single fan of Sox nation still had the tags on their shirts. Still, at least they weren't Yankees fans. :)

That is friggin' awesome. By the way YB, how often do you make it up to Seattle? I try to go once a season and did have the pleasure once of watching Ichiro hit a rare homer. The last series I took in up there was against the Red Sox. Every single fan of Sox nation still had the tags on their shirts. Still, at least they weren't Yankees fans. :)

My parents have a house up there, but they spend more time here in Utah than in Seattle, so we don't get up there as much as we used to. Back in the 90's, we'd get up there for a few games each season, and I am serious when I say he homered in every game I saw. I haven't been to Safeco in about four years, but I know what you're saying about Sox Nation. Both Red Sox Nation and Yankee Fan put Laker Fan to shame when it comes to being douchebags, and for me to admit that is saying something.

I still get goosebumps thinking about the Upper Deck commericial..."the night Jordan poured in 63 at the Garden"...and it shows clips of Ripken, Montana, and Gretzky as well, and ends with Griffey, Jr. making one of his unbelievable, over the wall catches, robbing a homer, I think at Yankees Stadium...he was beautiful to watch. Sports in all its glory and innocence.

It's too bad Jr. was injury plagued throughout his career. I think he would have been the all-time home run king had he stayed more healthy. And given his apparent avoidance of performance enhancements, any sports fan should be for him being above Bonds on that list.

I was never really a big baseball fan of any team in particular, but I always liked Ken Griffey. I remember trying to imitate his swing in little league...with very little success. Probably a bit ambitious of me...

Hahaha. That brings back memories. yet another reason to love the man. Ken Griffey Jr.'s baseball on Super Nintendo was the best baseball console game ever made.

Ken Griffey, Jr was my first (and really only) favorite baseball player, and I think it was mostly because his damned video game was so awesome. Home Run Derby!

If he was even close to the greatness he showed in the 90s in the 2000s then he could def be considered the best of all time