What's new

Amazon Firestick

Keefe

Should I pay $4.95 or so and get a VPN?

If so, any recommended sites?

Any apps anyone recommends I download to the Firestick?

I have the Firestick. There are loads of free apps, some of them movie channels. Just have to go through them and see what you like. I don't watch much TV though, my gf does, so not for me to recommend. If you get Amazon Prime, then you get lots more movies with that as well as many TV series, like Curb Your Enthusiasm, that was my favorite.

What’s the connection to the VPN question?

I used nordvpn. Love it. Pay for 3 years at a time. Highly recommended. Not sure if it will work with the fire stick

My VPN question was based on things like this that I’d read.

“Stay Out of Trouble
Before you start using your Jailbroken FireStick, I would like to warn you that you must use a good Fire Stick VPN so that your streaming activities remain private. Your Government, your ISP and even certain third-party entities might be keeping a track of all your online activities (including the ones related to FireStick usage).

When you jailbreak FireStick or use third-party entertainment apps for free streaming, you may land in legal troubles. Even though I never condone the streaming of copyrighted content, I strongly believe your Privacy must never be compromised. Therefore, I recommend using a VPN.

I use ExpressVPN on my streaming devices and I suggest you do the same. You can install it quickly using the link below.”

I've a few friends that have broken out their fire stick/other open source device. It's cool, and even with the VPN it's a helluva lot cheaper than Prime, Netflix, Disney+, HBO, Starz, etc.

A good VPN is the key. Nord is a pretty popular one, and very "nunya bizniss" to snooping parties. I got bored one day and tried to traceback some scammer saying they were from Russia. Never could prove anything, but they were running through a proxy in Norway owned by Nord.

Technology that makes anonymity possible moves quite a bit faster than law enforcement policies.