Ante Tomic and Croatia vs. USA B Team

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Archie Moses, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Archie Moses

Archie Moses Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    When? Saturday, August 28. Noon EST.

Where? Turkey

TV? ESPN Classic, or you can stream it live right here. https://espn.go.com/extra/fiba/schedule

What to look for? Let's see how Tomic matches up against NBA talent. Team USA's bigs aren't that great, so hopefully he won't get juggernauted. I know, right?

[​IMG]

2. idiot

idiot Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2010
  3. ONE LOVE

ONE LOVE Let's Go Jazz! Staff Member

Aug 17, 2010
    oh wow.. thanks for this .. definitely can't miss this match!! A rare "Jazz" game in the middle of the offseason...

4. shadler

shadler Member

May 26, 2010
    did they black this game out or something on espn i can't find it

5. shadler

shadler Member

May 26, 2010
    found it DANG this kid looks good so far in just a few minutes. Might be for real.

6. GVC

GVC Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Do they ever lean on Tomic. If he can add some strength, Andrew Bogut lite?

7. Archie Moses

Archie Moses Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    I've watched Tomic play 4 times now. I have a gut feeling that the Jazz need to make him the number one priority on getting him over next season. I mean, I don't want to make the Gasol comparison, but c'mon, man, dude got game.

8. Duck Rodgers

Duck Rodgers Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Outside of a few hesitant post moves, I would have to agree. He looks quite good. Is in a bit of foul trouble though so I'm not sure how good of a look we will get of him.

9. GVC

GVC Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I still think he looks awkward and weak, and will probably be a poor rebounder in the NBA, but he has a good feel for the game. Certainly he'll find a place in the NBA, if he chooses to come over.

10. shadler

shadler Member

May 26, 2010
    He needs to be more built sure but he can play in the nba right now. He has great foot work as well out there to get around people. They say the jazz got a steal with this kid and that might be true. We have to get this kid over here next year.

11. prodigy

prodigy Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    He has some skill but get's pushed around a bit my smaller players. He still needs to get a lot stronger.

12. Zerol

Zerol Active Member

May 27, 2010
    He will be a good fit fo the Jazz. He got pushed around by Odom but if he got into the Jazz system, he will be set up with screens in the low post. He would not have to work as hard as he is right now trying to establish position. Once he got the ball deep, his soft touches will be hard to guard.

13. Zerol

Zerol Active Member

May 27, 2010
    He seems to be a good passer too! Just deliver a nice bounce pass to Popovic for a layup.

14. GVC

GVC Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Even though he's missed some bunnies, when he's on the court, there seems to be a lot more space for Croatia's players to operate (and less space for the US).

15. Zerol

Zerol Active Member

May 27, 2010
    Fran: [The Timberwolves] has already traded Al Jefferson to Denver......

16. NUMBERICA

NUMBERICA Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I hope someone can make a highlights package of this. Prodigy?

And Tomic seemingly would fit very well alongside Jefferson, on offense anyway. From my understanding, Tomic has good range on his shot, but spends a lot of time working the high-post as a distributor, which would open up the princeton looks in the sets more than I anticipate Jefferson being able to do.

17. Revolution 9

Revolution 9 Well-Known Member Staff Member

May 26, 2010
    When we bring up Gasol and Tomic in the same sentence let's be careful.
    Tomic kind of looks like Gasol or Gasol like, he moves well in the post, and has a soft touch around the basket.
    He still doesn't block shots like Gasol or like he should at that height. We all know he needs to bulk up etc.

Please don't expect Tomic to be a Gasol clone.
    He's not right now and will probably never be. He's just got a few things that are similar, and that's it.

With that said, I'm very excited about Tomic. Have been all along.

1. He's still improving. This is the most exciting thing. He hasn't reached his ceiling yet. So we really don't know for sure just what he'll pan out to be.
    2. We've got nothing to lose with him. He was a second round stash. (i love these types of picks).
    3. His size. Always exciting to watch big men prospects. Being a Jazz fan just leaves us salivating for his length.
    4. He's a nice trade chip. The more exposure he gets the more his trade value rises. Not saying we want to trade him, but it's always nice to have. He's got value right now, and it is only going up.
    5. He's so quick. (Yes, he does look awkward at times too) This ability to move so well will come in handy in the quick NBA game.

I don't think Tomic will end up being as good as Gasol or a star in the NBA. He could be, but the odds are against it. I'm not expecting it.
    I do think he will be a good back up Center for us. A quaility player who adds to our squad. That is my hope, and my honest prediction.
    This next season in Spain will be very interesting to watch.

18. cowhide

cowhide Well-Known Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I was pleasantly surprised by the kid. His offensive game is nba ready. I thought he rebounded fine. His biggest problem is he needs to get stronger but I can't see why he can't do that in Utah next year. I think the Jazz offense scheme is perfect for him because he can pass and shoot. I saw a little Dirk and Gasol in the kid.

19. MrBlue

MrBlue Member

May 30, 2010
    Are you going to post any highlights?

20. shadler

shadler Member

May 26, 2010
    who doesn't get pushed around in the nba? Even gasol still gets pushed around by some of the bigger players out there but the lakers still won. Ak gets pushed around and shoved all the time and he is still here. That is because of how long he is. I only watched a few games of his but being how fast and how much double teams are put on him he is going to help the jazz out. Dwill is going to have fun with this kid and big al in there. I just wish we could get him this year but i am not sure if he will want to come here next year as well.