What's new

Anthony Randolph? Anyone?

NAOS

He's playing pretty well in Eurobasket. He has ties to coach Kokoskov (though the Slovenia national team + Bill Duffy and BDA Sports). He's transformed as a player over in Europe. Legit stretchy 4.

Discuss.

I'd be in if they feel he has matured and they can coach him. Dude is only 28. I mean whiteside needed a few years away to figure things out. Randolph had superstar potential but flamed out.

I think it'd be low risk high reward.

He's playing pretty well in Eurobasket. He has ties to coach Kokoskov (though the Slovenia national team + Bill Duffy and BDA Sports). He's transformed as a player over in Europe. Legit stretchy 4. Kokoskov knows how to use him.

Discuss.

It's worth exploring. The first question is whether Randolph is better than Eric Griffin and whether he'll get much playing time. Our roster is pretty full. There'd be nothing wrong with inviting him to camp.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...terested-In-NBA-Return-If-He-Has-Defined-Role

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggsNCftIUI

(Our) Coach K is quoted in that ESPN article sayign that he should be in the NBA. If the Jazz don't go for him it will probably be because Igor knows that Randolph is still a lazy head case to some degree and would be disruptive to what Quin and the coaching staff are trying to build here with extreme accountability.

(Our) Coach K is quoted in that ESPN article sayign that he should be in the NBA. If the Jazz don't go for him it will probably be because Igor knows that Randolph is still a lazy head case to some degree and would be disruptive to what Quin and the coaching staff are trying to build here with extreme accountability.

We also have a roster crunch. Bolomboy is likely gone but who else would be gone to bring the guy in? Not sure how we'd clear the spot for him. He wouldn't take a two way deal.

Watching him I kind of think he'd be great if we had a role for him. You have to live with his mistakes and his amazing plays but we could use a guy to create and spread the floor... I don't think our offense will be good so his miscues don't hurt as much in my mind.

It's worth exploring. The first question is whether Randolph is better than Eric Griffin and whether he'll get much playing time. Our roster is pretty full. There'd be nothing wrong with inviting him to camp.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...terested-In-NBA-Return-If-He-Has-Defined-Role

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iggsNCftIUI

From DraftExpress...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t32pBdvkjd8

definitely great vids. I know JJ is going to be playing a ton of backup PF minutes, but Randolph plays a position-of-need, imo. And would be high on the depth chart. And would be cheap.

He wants a defined roll, so what are you willing to promise him?

IDK. If you're bringing in a vet like Joe Johnson, I can see promising minutes. I don't really see Utah doing that with Randolph. I could be wrong, though.

As far as a defined role, in Utah I think that would be something like: you'll get the minutes you earn, otherwise your *** sits on the bench.

definitely great vids. I know JJ is going to be playing a ton of backup PF minutes, but Randolph plays a position-of-need, imo. And would be high on the depth chart. And would be cheap.

DX just posted both of those and seems to be making the case for Randolph in the NBA. I'm wondering if he's under contract to play in Europe this season though.

IDK. If you're bringing in a vet like Joe Johnson, I can see promising minutes. I don't really see Utah doing that with Randolph.

As far as a defined role, in Utah I think that would be something like: you'll get the minutes you earn, otherwise your *** sits on the bench.

They'd probably have to give him a 2-year deal and give him an opportunity to earn a role.

IDK. If you're bringing in a vet like Joe Johnson, I can see promising minutes. I don't really see Utah doing that with Randolph.

They'd probably have to give him a 2-year deal and give him an opportunity to earn a role.

Defined role sounds to me like he wants a promise of minimum of MPG. This is his quote:

"I feel like I have to know that I'm going to have a role and that I can help the team and that I have an opportunity to play. I don't want to go sit on the bench, I want to play. I love playing basketball."

Anyway, I'm getting Earl Watson flashbacks. Not that I'm comparing the 2 in any way, but I think the Jazz may have promised him minutes, and then found themselves in a position were they were either handcuffed into playing a guy who wasn't playing well, or breaking their promise and creating bad PR that could hurt them in the future.

And before anybody gets their bloomers in a bunch over that, no I don't know any of that for sure, I just remember Earl pitching a fit that wouldn't have made sense if he hadn't been promised minutes.

IDK, maybe he'd accept a deal where you promise him minutes, with the stipulation that if it didn't work out, he'd be quickly traded to a team of his choice.

I definitely believe in looking outside the box to try and add talent, so this is something they should be looking into.

Last edited:
He should stay in Europe. Real Madrid are paying him almost 2 million USD a year, and he can only earn more with a European title on his resume. He also does not count against rules that limit the number of Americans on a team as he is now for legal purposes an EU citizen. If I were him, I'd hire the best Slovenian tutor money can get, buy a house in one of Slovenia's lovely three coastal cities and never come back to the US. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4e/2a/ba/4e2aba01d5607cf20397f42ef46f602d.jpg

Who is the better player, Randolph or Jerebko? Because that seems to me to be the slot the Jazz have. You could cut Bolomboy and O'Neal to create a roster spot, but Randolph wants PT and Jazz already have Favs, JJ and Jerebko as the 4's and Gobert and Udoh as the 5's.

i was thinking next year would be the better pick up for him as the Jazz will have a alot of question marks in the post.

Jerebko - Team option
Johnson - Free agent
Favors - Free agent
Bolomboy - 1.5 mil not sure if guarenteed or not
Udoh - Team option i beleive
Bradley - Stil a project

There might be a huge shake up