What's new

Apparently the Jazz can shoot the 3 ball now

vegas

For Years Jazz fans have been pining for a player that could spread the floor and stretch the defense. I think that we as fans are so used to this deficiency that we are still complaining. The truth is the Jazz have turned a corner this year.

The Jazz are currently ranked #6 in the NBA for 3pt%. (19th last year)

https://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/?sort=FG3_PCT&dir=1

3 players over 40% Ingles, Hayward, Neto. For reference they are shooting as well as Dirk.
Burkses @ 37%

Chris Johnson also shoots 40% on a small sample size, and above his career 32% avg
Hood shot 36% last year, 31% this year. If he can break the slump..He was second only to Burks on the team last year.
Booker shot 34.5% last year, 23% this year. He has looked better lately.

I knew the Jazz were shooting the 3 ball better this year, but I didn't expect this big of an improvement.

I've been pleasantly surprised by our 3pt shooting. In general I think our guys just need to get more comfortable taking shots in the flow of the offense, it seems we have plenty of times where we get a decent look from three (one of the best shots in the game other than layups) but pass on it only to force up a shot later in the clock.

We are 24th in 3pt attempts. Even if we are shooting it well, we are not taking advantage of it.

We are 24th in 3pt attempts. Even if we are shooting it well, we are not taking advantage of it.

This is the main takeaway. Jazz need to be top half of the league in 3 attempts. They use less posessions so it will be hard to be top five in total attempts, but if they shoot a lot more threes, they should win a few more games.

This is the main takeaway. Jazz need to be top half of the league in 3 attempts. They use less posessions so it will be hard to be top five in total attempts, but if they shoot a lot more threes, they should win a few more games.
In theory. That assumes that a higher number of quality three-point attempts aren't being taken. I'm not so sure that that's the case.

Quin's Jr. Jazz system doesn't create many good 3 point looks. He's the anti-McHale. No three's or layups for McQuin.

We are taking the open 3s and passing on challenged 3s, which is good judgement and also inflates the averages compared to high volume teams.

I suspect Exum is going to take thousands of threes as he rehabs before next season begins. Solidifying that shot will go a long way into unlocking his toolbox and making our offense legit next year.

I suspect Exum is going to take thousands of threes as he rehabs before next season begins. Solidifying that shot will go a long way into unlocking his toolbox and making our offense legit next year.

This will be pretty huge. Having four three shooters on the perimeter is a huge deal for favors and gobert. Also, Favors might extend his range out to three, somewhat reliably.

If Exum and Lyles can become dependable 3-pt shooters, then we're definitely in business.

Uhh, the Jazz have also played fewer games than everybody else and play at the slowest pace in the NBA. Of course their total 3 point attempts looks low. Their total ANYTHING looks low because of that.

Case in point, the Jazz are also 25th in total turnovers, but everybody here knows it's not because they're elite at taking care of the ball.

Uhh, the Jazz have also played fewer games than everybody else and play at the slowest pace in the NBA. Of course their total 3 point attempts looks low. Their total ANYTHING looks low because of that.

Case in point, the Jazz are also 25th in total turnovers, but everybody here knows it's not because they're elite at taking care of the ball.

Due to their strength of schedule would it make sense that they get more three attempts against worse teams as the season goes on? Or will they penetrate more easily for easier baskets?

I took the 3pt attempts/game divided by the pace (possesions per 48 mins) of all 30 teams. It's true we are dead last in PACE.

HOU 30.8%
GSW 29.4
CHA 29.3
CLE 28.6
DAL 28.3
18th SA 23.9%
21st UT 21.3%
30th MIN 16.5%

I haven't seen tons of good 3pt looks that they have passed up. A few, but not a ton. I also don't get to watch every game.

My biggest concerns right now are:
#17 Drtg
#29 Assists

If we were to turn those around we are talking about a legit team. I'm almost thinking our 3pt% is one of our saving graces this season. Interestingly this team would be the 10th best 3pt% in Jazz History. The top is the 99-00 team (38.5%) when Horny shot 47% from deep. It's a shame he averaged less than 2 attemps per game.

Yeah, like I said, not taking advantage of it.

... I don't think you understood my post.

Pace or not, we are not shooting it much. We are playing slightly smarter offense than our attempts show as Vegas' stats indicate but that doesn't mean that we are taking advantage of our 3pt shooting.

Pace or not, we are not shooting it much. We are playing slightly smarter offense than our attempts show as Vegas' stats indicate but that doesn't mean that we are taking advantage of our 3pt shooting.

Yeah you definitely didn't understand my post, lol.

You uhh, you don't see how fewer games played and fewer possessions within games played equates to fewer 3PA, fewer turnovers, fewer everything? Really?