What's new

Audiobooks?

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
So when I left the job I had, that I eventually came back to, the time between then, I worked in a job where I was at a bench, putting stuff together and didn't have a lot of other interaction most of the time. So I started listening to podcasts, but eventually started listening to audiobooks.

I listened to a few that I had previously read. I've listened to a few pulpish type stories that killed time, but weren't all that good. I have mostly listened to sci-fi.

If any of you are looking for good sci-fi, while Wil Wheaton seems to get good reviews I haven't liked him in the 3-4 things I've listened to that he's narrated. R.C. Bray, on the other hand, is bar none the best sci-fi narrator in the game. I have no idea if he does other genres, but he's all over the place in sci-fi, and he can make a bad story meh.

Anyway, any other audiobook listeners on jazzfanz?

Any suggestions? I use audible. I've talked about this with my sister and I think she thinks I'm kind of dumb for paying for audiobooks because she uses the public library for hers, and there's also many ways to get audiobooks free or very cheap, but I'm a good little consumer and I have my audible subscription.

I always have an audiobook going in my car. I get mine from the library. I'm cheap.

I tend to listen to classics, nonfiction, middle grade fantasy, or favorite re-reads on audiobook. Right now I'm listening to The Diary of a Young Girl, which I read probably 40 years ago. My best friend was just in Europe and went to the Anne Frank house, and I got the urge to read it again.

I recently had an online discussion about audiobook narrators and discovered that many people have favorite narrators. Some even keep lists of their favorites. I'm the opposite - I rarely can tell you who the narrator is, unless it is the actual author. The narrator of the book I'm currently reading is fantastic, but I have no idea what her name is and will not purposely plan to listen to another narration of hers. It's not a factor for me in choosing a book. That being said, I listened to a Wil Wheaton one once and didn't know what the fuss was about.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

I mostly listen to nonfiction audio books, for some reason I prefer those in an audio format vs reading. I'm kind of an on and off subscriber to audible. I should probably just use my public library instead though lol. The time limit might get me to not put books off as much as I currently do.

So when I left the job I had, that I eventually came back to, the time between then, I worked in a job where I was at a bench, putting stuff together and didn't have a lot of other interaction most of the time. So I started listening to podcasts, but eventually started listening to audiobooks.

I listened to a few that I had previously read. I've listened to a few pulpish type stories that killed time, but weren't all that good. I have mostly listened to sci-fi.

If any of you are looking for good sci-fi, while Wil Wheaton seems to get good reviews I haven't liked him in the 3-4 things I've listened to that he's narrated. R.C. Bray, on the other hand, is bar none the best sci-fi narrator in the game. I have no idea if he does other genres, but he's all over the place in sci-fi, and he can make a bad story meh.

Anyway, any other audiobook listeners on jazzfanz?

Any suggestions? I use audible. I've talked about this with my sister and I think she thinks I'm kind of dumb for paying for audiobooks because she uses the public library for hers, and there's also many ways to get audiobooks free or very cheap, but I'm a good little consumer and I have my audible subscription.

I asked for similar recs halfway through this thread:
https://jazzfanz.com/threads/news-sources.73041/

Siro's rec was fantastic.

Bunch of lazy *** readers...
I started listening to audiobooks when I worked an assembly job, meaning I was using my hands and looking at assembly diagrams and instructions. No room for books in that situation. I listened to all the podcasts I could think of and wanted more. I was listening for almost 8 hrs a day.

Since then I've gained a lot of respect for audiobooks.

Last edited:
As far as really good narrators, R.C. Bray did "The Martian" and he also did the "I Am Bob" series as well as a few others, and he's fantastic in them.

But the person who got me caring about who the narrator was, was Mel Hudson, who did "Children of Time" and "Children of Ruin" and she was absolutely perfect. I listened to some sort of cop, suspense book she narrated just because she did it, and the story wasn't interesting to me but I enjoyed listening to her narration. That said, "Children of Time" is absolutely fantastic!

"Children of Time" is written by Adrian Tchaikovsky and he has another book called "The Expert System's Brother" that is okay because it's short enough not to care too much, but the narrator was apparently gunning for the William Shatner award for overacting. His name is Shaun Grindell. I've tried to find something I could embed, but it's late and I'm tired and it wasn't easy. But he's a silly narrator. Makes the story harder to listen to.

Long story short, listen to, or read, Children of Time.

Last edited:
I'm actually gonna cruise past my goal of reading 1,000 books this year months ahead of time. In part cuz of audiobooks. Last month I cleared out the entire Hemingway catalogue. Right now i'm onto Jack Kerouac.

Bunch of lazy *** readers...

If the school system hasnt beaten u to a pulp, to the point where reading is no longer fun, which happens to more and more ppl it seems. you're doign alright in my book.

I can speed read.... 550wpm.. and I listen to audiobooks because I'm a one man army level multi-tasker.. audiobook is often a wonderful layer to add to my routine, and fits right in.

My goal was 1,000 books this year and the only way I;m gonna pull it off is with audiobooks...

Just like how I go thru movies by director, clearing out catalogue after catalogue, i'm going thru books by noted authors... Lotta fun... I was never about reading fiction til my mid 20's but nowI'm kinda hooked.

Last edited:
youtube has soooooo many audiobooks btw. my rule of not paying for things on the internet i know i can chase down for free has saved me sooooooooooo much $$$$, its honestly 6-figures.....

The Gates series by John Connelly is another I'd recommend. It's about a boy and his dog who accidentally open the gates of hell. If you're into science, humor, easy reading, I recommend it.

He's probably my favorite author.

I'm actually gonna cruise past my goal of reading 1,000 books this year months ahead of time. In part cuz of audiobooks. Last month I cleared out the entire Hemingway catalogue. Right now i'm onto Jack Kerouac.
Do you listen at a faster speed? I can generally read a book in about 1/5 the time it takes to listen to it.

Do you listen at a faster speed? I can generally read a book in about 1/5 the time it takes to listen to it.
No, I cant do that. Often I enjoy the slower pace though, It feels like a luxury i could only recently afford

You're right it takes WAYYYY longer, my longest audiobook has been over 70-hours, the gulag archipelago by aleksander solzhenitsyn, whichis 3 volumes or 7 parts. I finished it in just a few days though and honestly got quite a bit of other stuff done during it.

audio books allow me to put my guard down, and i feel like im making progress just by listening, thats underselling it too tbh cuz i rather enjoy what im listening to..

Audiobooks can also add something extra, they really can, one of the finest examples I can think of would be; any Edgar Allen Poe story read by Christopher Lee.

I can't listen to audiobooks and do anything else other than drive. My brain doesn't function that way any longer. I cannot read with a radio or TV playing either.

Also another great merit of audiobooks is you can listen to a comedian reading their own book... would highly recommend... George Carlins stuff is a great starting point, I laugh for hours.. I'd recommend David Cross's "I drink for a reason" too..

I cringe at the thought of listening to one of these pro voice over audiobook guys doing the Carlin books. yikes.

there's some hilarious bits in cross's audiobook where he's explaining part that have coinciding photo's in the book, where u'd really want to actually be reasding the book instead of listening to the audiobook and then laments it and it's just well executed material.

Also the dude who does the voice of Archer, he reads the foreword for Cross's book, and its kinda like a funny skit. There's like a real element of Cross being in the studio that gave him a lil more time to add in more laughs.

Last edited: