What's new

Ayton

Gotta have cap space for an offer sheet and the Jazz don’t have enough.

I’m okay looking at a S&T option, but NOT for a lot. I’d rather see them accumulate assets instead of sending them out right now.

My concern with Ayton is his attitude and meltdown in the playoffs. His lack of drawing fouls. I don't think he has earned a Max deal yet. He is very gifted and young. Has a ton of talent but I have doubts about his desire, mental make up and focus.

1-2 picks maybe but nothing more. This team has a ton of holes. Might as well try and rebuild now. Let’s not do the same thing as before and get too good too fast. My worry is that Ayton and Spida keep this team too competitive and we’re left behind a meh playoff team but never really a threat to contend. Nope. I can tank for a few years if it means a decade worth of good basketball. Had we not **** the bed that two summers and not shot our wad on Conley then wiffed taking Doka instead of Bane, this team would be a contender for a decade.

Everyone is excited about these picks, and rightfully so, but there's no way you turn down Ayton so you can draft a Bolmaro and Kessler in consecutive years. And I like those guys, but that's all you're giving up for Ayton.
A.) There’s also the opportunity cost of tying up that salary instead of having contracts expire and free up a bunch of cap space next year.

B.) Jazz should prioritize going after a wing. That’s the most important position in the league - and we haven’t had a high level one since Hayward. Wait to see what trade opportunities come up at the trade deadline.

Jazz should resign Whiteside for cheap and let him compete with the two young bucks for minutes.

A.) There’s also the opportunity cost of tying up that salary instead of having contracts expire and free up a bunch of cap space next year.

B.) Jazz should prioritize going after a wing. That’s the most important position in the league - and we haven’t had a high level one since Hayward. Wait to see what trade opportunities come up at the trade deadline.

Jazz should resign Whiteside for cheap and let him compete with the two young bucks for minutes.
Hassan is too much of a head case

The only reason you’re getting Ayton so cheap is because he’s a free agent. He’s worth way more than 1-2 bad first round picks. Later on if you decide that you want cap space or more assets to get a wing, you can very easily move Ayton for more than you gave up for him. It’s like printing money.

If your intentions are to use space next year or to go after a wing, you’re way better off doing that with Ayton on your roster than two bad firsts.

Hassan is too much of a head case
I think he’d be fine for a year. If you don’t want to go that route, then add some other veteran big that ends up on the outside looking in - Jazz have an open role for a starting center. I’m sure they can fill that spot for cheap for this season and still get decent production.

Worst case scenario, they can nab a guy for one of the trade exceptions and open up cap space for somebody else. Or pick up a halfway decent center while flipping any of Conley, Bogdanovic, Beverley or Beasley.

If it’s Bojan + filler + one late first…fine. Any more I’m not onboard.

If we’re going to tank, let’s tank the **** out of this thing, and give us the best chance possible to be in the top 2 in the 2023 draft.

That would be a transformational pick.

The hard part is getting Ayton to choose is. If he does, you’re getting a way better asset than those you are giving up.